Reload this Page >

Yorkville - pros and cons?

Yorkville - pros and cons?

Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Tallie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Yorkville - pros and cons?

Hi Everyone

My husband and I are moving to Toronto in January for two years and went over recently to view apartments. We are in our late 20s and want to experience living in a large, vibrant city with easy access to transport, restaurants, running clubs etc.

We viewed quite a few but we have currently got a Yorkville apartment at the top of our list, however this is the most expensive apartment! I'd just like some honest feedback from people who have lived in the area on whether paying the extra is really worth it, and pros and cons of Yorkville living.

Also any suggestions for downtown areas with a similar feel or recommendations for new apartment blocks to view would be really useful.

Fingers crossed our joint salary will be $180 - $200k so I am hopeful this is a realistic salary to live on. I expect it will cost us an additional $500 a month to live in Yorkville compared to the other apartments we viewed.

Thanks

Tallie
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:11 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yorkville - pros and cons?

Originally Posted by Tallie

Fingers crossed our joint salary will be $180 - $200k so I am hopeful this is a realistic salary to live on.
Totally unrealistic.

Most families get by on half of that or less.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Totally unrealistic.

Most families get by on half of that or less.
We haven't moved yet (next June) and we're hoping to live in Toronto for half that amount of income so I really hope you make do ok (i'll be watching!).
Good luck
Old Nov 24th 2009, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi JonboyE and London Mike,

I only mentioned salary because Yorkville is a particularly expensive area to live in! We really want to make the most of the next couple of years, hopefully we can enjoy a great lifestyle and also do some saving before heading back to reality in the UK and getting back on the property ladder!

Thanks

Tallie
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi JonboyE and London Mike,

I only mentioned salary because Yorkville is a particularly expensive area to live in! We really want to make the most of the next couple of years, hopefully we can enjoy a great lifestyle and also do some saving before heading back to reality in the UK and getting back on the property ladder!

Thanks

Tallie
Yorkville is certainly expensive but mostly because it's trendy and popular with "celebs". For the price of a TTC token you could live in equally attractive "buzz" areas and avoid these tedious people.

Yonge and Lawrence, High Park, The Beach spring to mind. Even the Danforth is as "vibrant" as Yorkville, but I suppose it depends if you're into Greek.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

atscmc will become famous soon enoughatscmc will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Yorkville is very vibrant, but the housing costs are very over-inflated. You'd probably get a fabulous place in a great area for less than the Yorkville apartment and still be within easy reach of everything you want.
Good luck and have fun in Toronto.

Chris
Old Nov 25th 2009, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't want to live there, jmo. My new favourite area atm is Babypoint, it feels really surreal there, kind of like a gated community. But very expensive. It is on Jane at Annette when it changes to Babypoint and it is only a short walk to Bloor Village. So you have the best of both world.s

Last edited by babsi; Nov 25th 2009 at 12:28 am.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 12:29 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babsi
I wouldn't want to live there, jmo. My new favourite area atm is Babypoint, it feels really surreal there, kind of like a gated community. But very expensive. It is on Jane at Annette when it changes to Babypoint.
There's absolutely nothing in Babypoint apart from ludicrously expensive houses. It's not an area so much as a zillionaire's ghetto.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Zap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

We viewed quite a few but we have currently got a Yorkville apartment at the top of our list, however this is the most expensive apartment! I'd just like some honest feedback from people who have lived in the area on whether paying the extra is really worth it, and pros and cons of Yorkville living.

Also any suggestions for downtown areas with a similar feel or recommendations for new apartment blocks to view would be really useful.

Thanks

Tallie
Yep, you are paying a premium to live in Yorkville for sure. There are some great areas in the city to consider whereby you might get a bit more apartment for your money but it would be marginally less snob value.

I recently rented out a place in the Quantum buildings at Yonge and Eglington that was really nice. My client originally just wanted Yorkville and after viewing places changed his mind. The building has great facilities etc. Close to the subway, restaurants, bars all amenities close to hand which is all good. I think that there is a lovely 2 bed + den with 2 bath place on the 44th floor with fabby view. You should check it out. There are also some very new buildings on Bay St. around Dundas and College area which would put you in the heart of Downtown in close proximity to everything.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yorkville is certainly expensive but mostly because it's trendy and popular with "celebs". For the price of a TTC token you could live in equally attractive "buzz" areas and avoid these tedious people.

Birds of a feather
Old Nov 26th 2009, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone, I will look into the areas suggested.

Zap0ne - the Quantum Apartments look excellent!

Not sure I've had any comments back from anyone who's actually lived in Yorkville and can offer an insightful view as they've experienced it 24/7. If anyone has live in Yorkville I would find it really useful!

Thanks

Tallie
Old Nov 26th 2009, 4:39 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

want to experience living in a large, vibrant city with easy access to transport,
And you chose Toronto?

Just kidding....really...

The TTC is a particularly special kind of experience. Almost historical.

Check your PMs for some comments about Quantam etc.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:10 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Yorkville is a joke. If you want a really nice place I would say look further north along the Yonge/Bayview corridor. You won't get the same fake overpriced posh garbage of Yorkville and there are more amenities, shopping etc. to live.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

marimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nice

I expect it will cost us an additional $500 a month to live in Yorkville compared to the other apartments we viewed.
You may want to factor in other costs of living too - the restaurants are pricier, the 'local supermarket' is Whole Foods, etc. If you want the trendy lifestyle, you have to pay for it!
Old Dec 12th 2009, 3:22 am
Just Joined

worldfairy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tallie

My fiance and I have been living here three months now and wanted the same kind of lifestyle you mention.
We opted for an apartment a block or so from Bloor and Yonge, because it was cheap enough and in a great location for our work and both subway lines.
Yorkville's lovely, but you can get the vibrant city lifestyle pretty much anywhere downtown... there is so much going on and the TTC is great. As long as you are near a subway station you'll be fine.
My advice would be to stay in a b&b or something for a week or two until you suss out some alternatives, then if you still choose Yorkville, you know you made the right choice.
My view is an extra $500 isn't worth it... but then it depends if you already have jobs when you arrive as to how comfortable you will be early on.
Hope that helps : )

Charlotte