Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Yorkshire puddings

Yorkshire puddings

Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yorkshire puddings

Yes - it's the altitude.

Cake recipes from the UK often don't work as well either.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:40 pm

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mikelesley
I want to surprise Mike on Sunday with a traditional uk roast - but stuck with which flour to use - has anyone tried to make them here and which flour did you use? Thanks Lesley
I've found the flour here much heavier than that back home. You MUST seive it and since doing that my yorkies have been fine. (Where's Auntie Bessie when you need her!). Our branch of Canadian superstore now has frozen ones but they are pretty small.

Also I find that making my own self-raising flour is better than buying the 'Cake flour" they sell here.

1 cup of all puorpse flour (seived)
half teaspoon salt
one and a half teaspoon baking powder.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:06 pm
Sunny Alberta!

Geordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to all

I think ill better get practicing then, im usless at making them...I can do nice homemade roasties and parsnips though, but its got to be goose fat!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I often wonder how many are mistaking all-purpose flour for self-rising flour. Using UK recipes that call for self-rising flour but are using all-purpose flour instead and somehow thinking it's because they're in Canada that it's not rising.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordielass
I think ill better get practicing then, im usless at making them...I can do nice homemade roasties and parsnips though, but its got to be goose fat!
Oh I don't make them..OH does, but I need to know to tell him I make cupcakes, nowt else!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Mikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to all

Lots of advice - have never tried the frozen ones or the mixes - being a yorkshire lass always made em! Lets hope they are ok otherwise Mikes idea of learning to play hockey could begin sooner than he thinks!
Lesley
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

MR MOM will become famous soon enoughMR MOM will become famous soon enough

you can buy the ready made ones in some superstores in the frozen section.Five minutes and they're done. Don't taste too bad either.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

My FIL's recipe takes 5 mins start to finish!
They triple in size and never fail!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

Originally Posted by MR MOM
you can buy the ready made ones in some superstores in the frozen section.Five minutes and they're done. Don't taste too bad either.

Yup i always go for these too - much easier for me, and they are small enough you can justify eating 5 or 6 with dinner
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

Mikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to all

Not a good turnout for me!! bit flat and deflated and that wasn`t just mikes face when he saw them - will try again one day
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:29 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Leslie

Try the packet mix, leave a little longer for the oil to warm than normal, add the mix and they are brilliant.
I used the packet mix at the weekend, actually did two packet mixes as we havent had a roast for a few weeks and they was massive
Cheating on the puddings here is allowed........good luck

LB
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

Does anyone listen to Chris Evens on Radio 2????

I do - through I player, and yesterday they did a live cooking session of Yorkies!!!

Log onto the website, the recipe is there, and the chef they had on said equal measures of eggs / plain flour and milk. They used beef dripping and warmed it in the over first, and then seasoned with S&P....! 20 mins in the oven and Bobs your Uncle.

I'm no chef, but it was amusing radio, and it seemed to work. Funnily enough they had an email from someone in Calgary who for the last 30+ years had made perfect Yorkies in Yorkshire, but since moving to Calgary, his never rose? They didn't have an answer for that though....

Good Luck and check ou the Radio 2 webpage!!!!

Bx