Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Yet another tax question - Self employed in the UK on an IEC

Yet another tax question - Self employed in the UK on an IEC

Old Feb 2nd 2024, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

jellycubed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yet another tax question - Self employed in the UK on an IEC

Hi, I've tried looking for a thread about this issue specifically but can't find one so - I plan to work self employed in the UK while on an IEC working holiday for 1 year as well as sporadically working in Canada. I understand after 183 days I will almost definitely be considered a resident/Canadian tax payer and will need to write a tax return for the money earned in the UK and Canada. But:
- Does my business need to do anything for this to be ok? E.g. do I need to fill in a form specifying that I'm technically a Canadian employee or something?
- What rate of tax do I pay? Do I pay Canadian tax rate on anything I earn while I'm in Canada and then British tax when I'm earning and back in the UK?
- Does this backdate? E.g. if I'm earning in the UK all year, but I only technically become a Canadian resident after say 3 months, do I pay UK tax rates for the first 3 months and then Canadian for the remainder?
Thanks for any help