Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Yet another tax question - Self employed in the UK on an IEC

Yet another tax question - Self employed in the UK on an IEC

Old Feb 2nd 2024, 4:42 pm
Just Joined
Thread Starter
Joined: Feb 2024
Posts: 1
jellycubed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yet another tax question - Self employed in the UK on an IEC

Hi, I've tried looking for a thread about this issue specifically but can't find one so - I plan to work self employed in the UK while on an IEC working holiday for 1 year as well as sporadically working in Canada. I understand after 183 days I will almost definitely be considered a resident/Canadian tax payer and will need to write a tax return for the money earned in the UK and Canada. But:
- Does my business need to do anything for this to be ok? E.g. do I need to fill in a form specifying that I'm technically a Canadian employee or something?
- What rate of tax do I pay? Do I pay Canadian tax rate on anything I earn while I'm in Canada and then British tax when I'm earning and back in the UK?
- Does this backdate? E.g. if I'm earning in the UK all year, but I only technically become a Canadian resident after say 3 months, do I pay UK tax rates for the first 3 months and then Canadian for the remainder?
Thanks for any help
jellycubed is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.