Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Yet Another Petition On Frozen UK Pensions For Canadians et al.

Yet Another Petition On Frozen UK Pensions For Canadians et al.

Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:20 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet Another Petition On Frozen UK Pensions For Canadians et al.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh rabbit on as long as you like.
Well, you did say that members were entitled to influence rules.

If pointing out that expat pensioners are members so they ought to be able to influence rules is rabbiting, so be it.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 5:12 am
Just Joined

Undercoverbrother is an unknown quantity at this point

well said my son
Old Apr 28th 2008, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud of

Now, I might get some sarcy message, telling me to read all the posts in all the threads related to pensions... Well, I haven't. sorry.

I was just wondering what you are on about? What are these petitions about? Could somebody explain in a short, simple manner, please?
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCanes
Now, I might get some sarcy message, telling me to read all the posts in all the threads related to pensions... Well, I haven't. sorry.

I was just wondering what you are on about? What are these petitions about? Could somebody explain in a short, simple manner, please?
Pensioners in the UK get increases in their pensions over time related to inflation. Pensioners who choose to move to specific countries give up the increases, though not the pensions. Some of those pensioners who chose to give up the increases want them anyway. They bleat a lot.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Some of those pensioners who chose to give up the increases want them anyway. They bleat a lot.

I was never given a "Choice" to give up my pension. I'm a victim of the UK Governments discrimination against certain commonwealth countries. Just like everyone else I paid into it so I deserve the same treatment.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
I was never given a "Choice" to give up my pension. I'm a victim of the UK Governments discrimination against certain commonwealth countries. Just like everyone else I paid into it so I deserve the same treatment.
Bloody well right...(Supertramp)
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I was never given a "Choice" to give up my pension.
You haven't given up your pension, at least, you haven't been required to give up your pension. You made a choice to move to a specific location which entailed giving up certain increases in the pension, not the same thing at all. It's your choice since you can go home or move somewhere else and have the increases.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

You made a choice to move to a specific location which entailed giving up certain increases in the pension, not the same thing at all. It's your choice since you can go home or move somewhere else and have the increases.
When applied for my UK pension the UK government never pointed out that it was not indexed and neither did they when I paid into it. No government or organization ever indicated the pension discrimination against certain countries so I did not have any information to make a "Choice" I just made a reasonable assumption that everyone in all countries would be treated equally.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:45 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

I wont expect to get much from my pension from the Uk, Im moving to canada in my 30's. However I have to say, i'd be pretty pee'd off if I had paid into my pension all my working life and then dont get the same credit as someone else, just because i 'choose' to live somewhere else.

Retirement is 'MY' time, If i have worked all my life paying into England / Britain whatever bear in mind if I have been working I have also been paying NI - contributing to the welfare so to speak of my country - If I should 'choose' to live abroad in my retirement ( for whatever reason) that should be my right. It's not always a case of abandoning a country, some people move for health reasons, better air, warmer climate for people with COPD or arthritis. If you have worked all your life and paid into the country helping to take care of it why shouldnt you be entitled to a pension with the same benefits as Uk residents? - Its not like the UK is missing out on contributions if you move away - coz your not contributing anymore - basically youve done your bit.

I think its sad that SOME people are penalised for moving away, if youve worked hard all your life, you should be able to spend your pensionable years whereever you like. I think its unfair that some countries are allowed the increase and some are not - thats very unfair.

Last edited by Tanah; Apr 28th 2008 at 1:01 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

When applied for my UK pension the UK government never pointed out that it was not indexed and neither did they when I paid into it.
Why would they say that it was "not indexed"? At the time of your paying into it the concept of indexing didn't exist.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Tanah
I wont expect to get much from my pension from the Uk, Im moving to canada in my 30's. However I have to say, i'd be pretty pee'd off if I had paid into my pension all my working life
Very few of those complaining did this. Most emigrated during their working lives rather than retiring in the UK and then emigrating.

I think its unfair that some countries are allowed the increase and some are not - thats very unfair.

So, campaign to stop indexing for all people who leave. Fair, a saleable idea and one that primarily benefits people who've stuck by their country.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:24 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

So, campaign to stop indexing for all people who leave. Fair, a saleable idea and one that primarily benefits people who've stuck by their country.

Im not too sure why you see leaving a Country to retire as a form of Abandonment - To me sticking by a Country is a full picture view eg/

1) person lives and works in Uk all their working life, pays NI / pension etc. Basically takes care of their Country by contributing towards its 'upkeep' . At retirement its time for the the Country to say - "Thanks" and go towards providing a reasonable quality of life for what youve put into it. Where they choose to spend that retirement shouldnt really come into it. A retirement is about enjoyment and relaxation etc ( to me it is) this is ME time and if I can meet those needs better somewhere other than the Uk, I wouldnt see it as not sticking by my Country - Ive done that bit.

2 ) person lives abroad most of their working life - contributing to another Country etc. Moves back to Uk 5 yrs before retirement, and gets Uk pension and its increments - to me this person should be less entitled to pension increases than person 1

3) person moves abroad mid way through their working life ( like me) or spends most of it not contributing to its welfare ( in UK) - should still get a pension for what they have put in, but to me shouldnt have much reason to moan when they dont get increases

In a nutshell - if you have worked fully in the UK and contributed for MOST of your working life ( remeber females do often time time off at somepoint) you should still be entitled to pension increases no matter where you live

In my opinion maybe pension increases for immigrants should be ' means' tested ( so to speak depending on what youve put into the country) and that should be across the board for any Country not just certain ones.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Im not too sure why you see leaving a Country to retire as a form of Abandonment
In previous runs around this issue it has come out that very few, if any, of the people wanting indexation retired in the UK. They typically emigrated years ago and now hold their hands out in both the UK and the country to which they emigrated. However, the case of someone who retired before emigrating is less grey than someone who moved late in his or her working life. The UK retiree moves in full knowledge of the consequences of the move; that's a real choice.

I chuckled btw at the idea of someone moving to Canada for the weather, that's one sadly misinformed pensioner.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:52 pm
is Happy

In previous runs around this issue it has come out that very few, if any, of the people wanting indexation retired in the UK. They typically emigrated years ago and now hold their hands out in both the UK and the country to which they emigrated. However, the case of someone who retired before emigrating is less grey than someone who moved late in his or her working life. The UK retiree moves in full knowledge of the consequences of the move; that's a real choice.

I chuckled btw at the idea of someone moving to Canada for the weather, that's one sadly misinformed pensioner.
Well Im moving out there years before I retire and i wont be expecting anything much - and I have weighed up the indexing thing too. It is a little 'cheeky' if you move out years before and have pensions in both countries to moan about the indexing thing

i understand what you say about the choice - and thats a fair point, its something i considered ( briefly) when making choices about moving ( more so after reading about it on here lol) I suppose that just coz thats the way it is - doesnt mean its fair especially for those who have retired before moving. I guess if petitioning to death is an answer then so be it. My philosophy is always - "if you dont ask you dont get" so i suppose if they never petition they have 100% no hope of ever getting things changed so even if petitioning only increases their chances by 1% lol its still a 1% chance

Lol in realtion to the weather and my misinformed pensioner eg i didnt necessarily mean Canada, they coulda been moving to Jamaica
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:12 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

We did! Hubby had a huge accident about 20 years ago - arthritis pain was dire in UK ... here in Calgary he is like a spring chicken J

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.