Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Yes I'm afraid it's another Question..

Wikiposts

Yes I'm afraid it's another Question..

Old Feb 14th 2005, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future
Default Re: Yes I'm afraid it's another Question..

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Its probably the flight risk combined with a lack of Canadian rental refs. You have no ties in Canada, no property, possibly no car. If it gets tough the first response for many is to leave. Plus landlords are probably more aware than the new immigrant of just how hard it can be for someone newly landed to get a job!

Mrs G
Just an idea for anyone that might be interested...but when we land our plans are to buy a used motorhome to use until we decide exactly where we want to live...it gives us the freedom to get around and a home we take with us.

We are moving to the Kootenays...and although we know that..it's still a big area that we will need to research. Motorhoming it seems the most economical because when we finally find our home...we can sell the motorhome and since they don't depreciate quickly, we should be able to get our money back for it. Or we might just keep it for those nice long holidays!

Check out autotrader.ca there are some very good deals there.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Glani is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dingbat
You can't even work as a bank teller in my province....you have to have several levels of qualifications on paper to work in a bank. Your experience will count for not a bean, references or no references. I hope you are in the early stages of looking! Sorry to be another bearer of bad news.

Dingbat thanks for your honesty anyway, ill just have to see what I can sort out in the meantime. Hubby's skills are what we are applying on so it wont affect the application, ill just have to look down other avenues over there.

Glani
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light

I think this is an excellent idea, I have been really worried about getting suitable affordable rental accommodation, and unfortunately we will not have the proceeds of a house sale from the UK to fall back on, so will be on limited funds until we can get jobs.

Originally Posted by dawnwynne
Just an idea for anyone that might be interested...but when we land our plans are to buy a used motorhome to use until we decide exactly where we want to live...it gives us the freedom to get around and a home we take with us.

We are moving to the Kootenays...and although we know that..it's still a big area that we will need to research. Motorhoming it seems the most economical because when we finally find our home...we can sell the motorhome and since they don't depreciate quickly, we should be able to get our money back for it. Or we might just keep it for those nice long holidays!

Check out autotrader.ca there are some very good deals there.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Glani is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Hopefully you are joking right? If not then its time to wake up and smell the coffee. You will find it very hard with no formal qualifications, no one is going to go to the trouble of checking out international references, and as banking law is probably different on the two sides of the atlantic I doubt it would make any difference if they did.
Ok thanks for that !

Im sure I can put my experience to good use in another field, the banking sector im in is Fraud and as we know this is an area that is growing fast. Your insurance companies or social security dept's may be a little easier than banking to get into. Its a shame you cant just work your way up over there. I know it will be hard but im not going to let 15yrs in a good career just fall by the wayside. Anyway as we all know its not always what you know but who !

Glani
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

We just moved to Burlington and we paid first and last, no idea abut the interst though.

Where abouts are your friends living Platty?
Old Feb 15th 2005, 1:00 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
We didnt find it that hard. The credit rating was irrelevant. You just need a big (35%) deposit, six months mortgage payment/prop tax bonded with the bank and confidence in yourself that you can choose an area you will want to live in three years down the road. You also need to be sure you can meet the mortgage payments if you dont get your chosen career going again.
I didn't have to put any additional money down other than the deposit. But then I have a permanent job here...

My interest rate is 3.5% fixed for the next five years

I also looked at renting, and some relocation people will accept one month's deposit and two months rent down - and this is for short term accomodation.

PM me if you want to get in touch with the realator in question...
Old Feb 15th 2005, 1:30 am
Mad Bint

Platty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to all

Originally Posted by daisymoll
We just moved to Burlington and we paid first and last, no idea abut the interst though.

Where abouts are your friends living Platty?
They are staying with friends in Burlington while looking for a place to live. They flew out on the 31st Jan.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Platty
They are staying with friends in Burlington while looking for a place to live. They flew out on the 31st Jan.

PM me if they need any help at all out here.

Cheers

Sonia
Old Feb 16th 2005, 12:45 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisymoll
PM me if they need any help at all out here.

Cheers

Sonia
Likewise here too! I could do with some more friends
Old Feb 16th 2005, 2:19 am
Mad Bint

Platty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to all

Thank you, I've pm'ed both of you