A year (or two) on IEC next year

Wikiposts

A year (or two) on IEC next year

Old Aug 18th 2012, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

NovaGlaswegian is an unknown quantity at this point
Question A year (or two) on IEC next year

Hi folks

I've been reading the threads on here for the past few days and it's proving to be an excellent source of information for us. It's nice to see so many people coming together to help each other and share experiences of Canada.

We're a couple (24 & 22) who're looking to apply for the IEC programme in February, with the idea of of using it (if we get accepted!) at the end of the same year, or at a push early 2014. Have I correctly taken that when you receive your LOI from the Embassy in London, that you have a year from that date to enter Canada with it and upon doing so, receiving your year long visa? So if turnover times are the same as I see they have been in the past few years then we should receive our letters by roughly April, having plenty of time to enter within our timescale?

A bit more about us:
We've not totally decided where we would like to base ourselves but with family in the Kitchener/Waterloo area and friends in St. Catherines and a few other places in Ontario, then that would seem like the 'safest' bet to be around there...though we are going for a bit of an adventure, some excitement and a bit of a challenge, so we'll see what happens! We'd like to hear from anyone, though specifically Scots, who're there right now or have been in the past, to see how you found it and if there's any advice you'd give!

I currently work within Mental Health and Addictions services in Glasgow. Is there anywhere in Canada with a shortage of qualified support workers in this field? Being honest though, my preference for work would be something more casual, like bar work (which I have plenty of experience in) due to it's flexibility and being able to have a bit more fun, meet more people, do more travelling etc. I've seen on here that something called 'ServSafe' is needed? How easy and cheap is it to be certified in this? There's something similar in Scotland (which I have) which was very easy; simply watching a few slides and answering some multiple choice questions. Anyone on here got any direct experience with ServSafe?

One other question, I play Amateur football over here and would like to continue when we move; is it as easy as it is here to join a team? Watching football (will I need to call it soccer now??) doesn't look like it'd be a problem as there's dozens of supporters clubs for my team

I'm sure I'll be on here intermintently over the next year to see what's happening and with more of my questions, so thanks in advance for putting up with them!

Cheers!
Old Aug 18th 2012, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A year (or two) on IEC next year

Read this about the IEC and requirements.
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...ex.aspx?view=d
Old Aug 18th 2012, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Read this about the IEC and requirements.
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...ex.aspx?view=d
Thanks a lot for that link.
Applying early next year, to travel winter 2013/14, it is
Old Aug 19th 2012, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks a lot

Looks like we were right and our plans are on track!