Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

X Box 360: UK to Canada

X Box 360: UK to Canada

Old Sep 1st 2013, 7:28 am
Wales to Ontario

Runningfree is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink X Box 360: UK to Canada

Hi. I believe our UK X box 360 will not work in Canada when we emigrate. If this is the case we will purchase a new one once we arrive - you have to keep the kids happy! My son is thinking of buying the Skylander game with his pocket money shortly. It is a downloadable game so with no disc etc just a code then the game is downloaded onto the x box. Could anyone please advise if it is anyway possible to transfer these types of games, any suggestions very welcome! Thanks
Old Sep 1st 2013, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Aatjjj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: X Box 360: UK to Canada

The x box will work with any games you bring with you just won't be able to buy new ones as the games are region locked.
If you have like 100 games already probably still with taking and replacing at one point in the future.

The sky landers games work with a porthole and figures that you buy so I'm not sure it's worth downloading unless you purchase these, the figures etc should work with a new x box too as we've bought some in the states and they work still.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Hucards is a jewel in the roughHucards is a jewel in the roughHucards is a jewel in the roughHucards is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Aatjjj
The x box will work with any games you bring with you just won't be able to buy new ones as the games are region locked.
If you have like 100 games already probably still with taking and replacing at one point in the future.

The sky landers games work with a porthole and figures that you buy so I'm not sure it's worth downloading unless you purchase these, the figures etc should work with a new x box too as we've bought some in the states and they work still.
Most games are not region locked for Xbox 360. It's up to the developers to decide and most don't region lock them.

To OP: bring the console and buy a power converter for it.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 11:42 am
Wales to Ontario

Thanks for advice, how much approx is a power converter, just wondering whether it would be cost effective?
Old Sep 1st 2013, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Hucards is a jewel in the roughHucards is a jewel in the roughHucards is a jewel in the roughHucards is a jewel in the rough

Expect to spend from $50 to $60. It's better than buying a used 360 because of potential rrod problems. Having a power converter is always good to have just in case as well.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 3:34 am
Just Joined

ste1234 is just really niceste1234 is just really niceste1234 is just really niceste1234 is just really niceste1234 is just really niceste1234 is just really niceste1234 is just really niceste1234 is just really nice

You need to get a 110v power supply for the Xbox I OT mine from eBay. You can check which games are not region locked on the play Asia website.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 4:47 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a second hand power brick from New 2 U in Hamilton for $10. Works great.

But, I want to get GTA5 in a couple of weeks, so I either have to buy a new xbox, steal the kids new xbox, or get a UK game shipped over, lol. (stealing the Kid's is the quickest and cheapest option)
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa

But, I want to get GTA5 in a couple of weeks, so I either have to buy a new xbox, steal the kids new xbox, or get a UK game shipped over, lol. (stealing the Kid's is the quickest and cheapest option)
Is it region locked? I read it wasn't (except for Japan). The DLC is locked though.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 5:52 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa

It's region free (except for Japan) so you will be fine with your old xbox.

Originally Posted by Hucards
Is it region locked? I read it wasn't (except for Japan). The DLC is locked though.
You are correct

http://support.rockstargames.com/ent...ck-Information
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 6:34 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well your Xbox Live account is regional, you can't switch it to Canada. So you'll see the UK content pages but not be able to use them as a lot of them are blocked by IP. And with certain games, add-on content and updates will be blocked, etc.

And if you change Xbox Live accounts you lose all your gamer points and progress in certain games.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:23 pm
Wales to Ontario

Ok. So once in Canada the UK console won't accept Canadian updates due to the different region?
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:45 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Well your Xbox Live account is regional, you can't switch it to Canada. So you'll see the UK content pages but not be able to use them as a lot of them are blocked by IP. And with certain games, add-on content and updates will be blocked, etc.

And if you change Xbox Live accounts you lose all your gamer points and progress in certain games.
As of this year Microsoft allows you to change the location associated with your gamer tag
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Runningfree
Ok. So once in Canada the UK console won't accept Canadian updates due to the different region?
The console can be updated to the newest version but some games are region specific for updates and DLC. I myself use a Japanese console but all my games are for the US/Canadian market. I don't have Xbox live though. My PS3 is also japanese but my playstation network account is canadian and I play games from various markets no problem.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 9:05 am
Wales to Ontario

Thanks everyone, power supply it will be and fingers crossed!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:19 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i would just buy a new Xbox..they were selling the 4gb version for $99 in walmart this weekend..you might get some good deals as retailers shift stock in readiness for the Xbox one and PS4.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.