Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Writing a covering letter (arriving on a working holiday visa) plus other questions

Writing a covering letter (arriving on a working holiday visa) plus other questions

Old Mar 11th 2016, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

stubby43 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Writing a covering letter (arriving on a working holiday visa) plus other questions

Hey guys

So in a months time I'll be heading out to Saskatchewan on a working holiday visa thats valid for a year (but with the potential to be 2 years depending on if it gets approved again.

I've been reading the wiki on how to apply for jobs and it recommended not going into detail about your immigration status but to also suggest you'd be available to meet.

I'm a bit confused about how much I should divulge because baring a bad interview at immigration my work authorisation is confirmed.

---------------

I'm also a bit confused about what I need to apply for to get myself started in Canada as I'm not doing it through bunac I don't have that support so I'm scared of missing stuff out.

I've heard I need to apply for a temporary social insurance number, do I need to apply for a Canadian bank account?

Am I missing anything I just haven't heard of?

Also what's the legality of me driving in Canada for a year? I've heard you can go to the post office in the UK and apply for an international drivers license, do I need to?

---

As immigration gets closer and closer I'm kind of freaking out and getting stressed out over the whole thing, I have a place to stay to start off with but the job situation is scaring me a lot, especially because I want to apply for the express entry program so it almost feels like I have to get this year right which is terrifying.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Writing a covering letter (arriving on a working holiday visa) plus other questio

When did you apply for the IEC or working holiday visa as its now a 2 year work permit if you are a UK citizen.
If you have the Letter Of Invitation or POE letter and received the ITA then you will get a 2 yr work permit. You turn up with that LOI/POE letter which you have to use within 12 months from the date of issue. Valid passport which has more than 2 yrs validity left a bank statement dated within the last 7 days showing a minimum of the equivalent of $2500 Canadian dollars and health insurance coverage for the length of your stay which includes repatriation coverage.
You will be issued an open work permit for 2 yrs validity on the day you arrive.
You can open a bank account on arrival and you would go to any Service Canada office and get a temporary SIN number. Thats it.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/arrival.asp

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Mar 11th 2016 at 11:25 am.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Writing a covering letter (arriving on a working holiday visa) plus other questio

He Former Lancastrian, thanks for responding quickly

So I applied for the working holiday visa in January 2016 and I'm a UK resident, but I have previously held a working holiday visa back in 2007.

I'm reading my letter now but it doesn't say a date when the visa ends.

Ok I'm a bit confused does that mean my visa is already valid for 2 years or do I have to leave the country and re apply?

Determine your eligibility – International Experience Canada
Old Mar 11th 2016, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stubby43
He Former Lancastrian, thanks for responding quickly

So I applied for the working holiday visa in January 2016 and I'm a UK resident, but I have previously held a working holiday visa back in 2007.

I'm reading my letter now but it doesn't say a date when the visa ends.

Ok I'm a bit confused does that mean my visa is already valid for 2 years or do I have to leave the country and re apply?

Determine your eligibility – International Experience Canada
If you are in Canada at the moment then yes you need to leave to activate the new work permit which will be valid for 2 years. Just show CBSA that letter and other documents and they do the rest.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stubby43
Hey guys

So in a months time I'll be heading out to Saskatchewan on a working holiday visa thats valid for a year (but with the potential to be 2 years depending on if it gets approved again.

I've been reading the wiki on how to apply for jobs and it recommended not going into detail about your immigration status but to also suggest you'd be available to meet.

I'm a bit confused about how much I should divulge because baring a bad interview at immigration my work authorisation is confirmed.

---------------

I'm also a bit confused about what I need to apply for to get myself started in Canada as I'm not doing it through bunac I don't have that support so I'm scared of missing stuff out.

I've heard I need to apply for a temporary social insurance number, do I need to apply for a Canadian bank account?
You'll go to your nearest Service Canada location and get an SIN.
Social Insurance Number - Service Canada

Yes, to get paid you'll need a Canadian bank account.

Am I missing anything I just haven't heard of?

Also what's the legality of me driving in Canada for a year? I've heard you can go to the post office in the UK and apply for an international drivers license, do I need to?

Note that an international drivers' licence is only valid in conjunction with your home country license. If you have a British DL, its superfluous to requirements.

To obtain a SK license:
https://www.sgi.sk.ca/individuals/li...nce/index.html
and
https://www.sgi.sk.ca/newresidents

---

As immigration gets closer and closer I'm kind of freaking out and getting stressed out over the whole thing, I have a place to stay to start off with but the job situation is scaring me a lot, especially because I want to apply for the express entry program so it almost feels like I have to get this year right which is terrifying.
Hope this helps.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 8:32 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

For job interviews, let the company know you have a working holiday visa and the length of time on it. It may put off some employers, so I would suggest you cast your net wide and look at contracts as well (mat leaves).

I wouldn't bother applying for roles until you're actually in Canada and have a Canadian cell phone number.

Now would also be a good time for you to contact some placement agencies and arrange to meet with them when you land, temping is often a good way to get a foot in the door with a company.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

There is a list in the wiki of things to do when you first arrive but the key ones are
1) get your SIN number
2) Open bank account
3) Register for MSP.
4) Get cell phone sim so you can be contacted about jobs

I agree with Tigger above that you will find it hard to get a job until you are actually in Canada and have a Canadian cell number.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for the help I'm both excited and scared and I keep bouncing between the two.