Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you take your dream job if you had to move with 1 baby and 1 more on the way?

Wikiposts

Would you take your dream job if you had to move with 1 baby and 1 more on the way?

Old Jan 19th 2012, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

pheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to all
Default Re: Would you take your dream job if you had to move with 1 baby and 1 more on the wa

Originally Posted by iaink
Or they might choose to cover your (her) expenses themselves too if insurance cant be found.

Is her going close to where there is family an option? couple of hundred miles, couple of thousand miles, whats the difference
couple of hundred miles but i could not leave her, our previous birth had complications
Old Jan 19th 2012, 2:53 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you take your dream job if you had to move with 1 baby and 1 more on the wa

Originally Posted by pheonix
couple of hundred miles but i could not leave her, our previous birth had complications
They have agreed paternity leave right?, and its an elective C section, so its not going to happen out of the blue ()

Just arrange to be there when you need to be?
Old Jan 19th 2012, 3:39 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Burnaby
Sorry to hear that

If you want a comfortable time, not extravagant, i would imagine you can reduce your rental budget by a few hundred $'s.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

pheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to all

We decided to GO for it :-)
This was simply too good an opportunity to turn down

Flights booked, flying my wife 31 weeks pregnant brings so much more stress and organising to the trip, i.e. gap insurance, uk travel insurance voids 24hrs from entering Canada due to the fact that we are immigration and not coming back any time soon

but hopefully should all be worth it.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:52 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

We decided to GO for it :-)
This was simply too good an opportunity to turn down

Flights booked, flying my wife 31 weeks pregnant brings so much more stress and organising to the trip, i.e. gap insurance, uk travel insurance voids 24hrs from entering Canada due to the fact that we are immigration and not coming back any time soon

but hopefully should all be worth it.
Will you have insurance that covers your wife after the 24hrs? Your health coverage won't kick in for 3 months after you become residents don't forget.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 6:23 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

If you can go I would. I havent had a baby in Canada but know people who have had one here and they say the hospital care is better than what they had in the UK - with child number 1. My hospital experience with two UK births was awful, just something else to think about.

I would most def go if you can. To be able to pay off all UK debts in a year whilst being able to live in Vancouver comfortably and have a good job is amazing. If you end up back in the UK, then you have gained alot.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 6:37 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

You're under estimating your costs and taxes. You could do it on that much but it won't much fun. If your wife works and brings in another 50 to 80k then it'd be much easier. I wouldn't do it on your salary alone.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo
Will you have insurance that covers your wife after the 24hrs? Your health coverage won't kick in for 3 months after you become residents don't forget.
i have insurance once i commence work for all of us, but am still searching for the right policy for the 1 week gap, I've been recommended Blue Cross but i just read on another post here it does not cover pregnancy, so if anyone can advise an alternative, i would be very grateful, thanks
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 6:49 am
Beep

Originally Posted by Howefamily
If you can go I would. I havent had a baby in Canada but know people who have had one here and they say the hospital care is better
Different story if they're not covered and have to pay though. I wonder what they'd do to find a family doctor without coverageat that late a stage?

Finding one at the best of times is a pain in the arse here
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
You're under estimating your costs and taxes. You could do it on that much but it won't much fun. If your wife works and brings in another 50 to 80k then it'd be much easier. I wouldn't do it on your salary alone.
there are big bonuses in the job also, so i think we will be fine
Beep

i have insurance once i commence work for all of us, but am still searching for the right policy for the 1 week gap, I've been recommended Blue Cross but i just read on another post here it does not cover pregnancy, so if anyone can advise an alternative, i would be very grateful, thanks
Hopefully the insurance covers your wife 100% after 31 weeks as i know many don't.

Anyway, good luck with it. You're a braver man than I am to move at that stage in life.....to Burnaby

By the way, try Canadasure for coverage during the gap.
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Howefamily
If you can go I would. I havent had a baby in Canada but know people who have had one here and they say the hospital care is better than what they had in the UK - with child number 1. My hospital experience with two UK births was awful, just something else to think about.

I would most def go if you can. To be able to pay off all UK debts in a year whilst being able to live in Vancouver comfortably and have a good job is amazing. If you end up back in the UK, then you have gained alot.
thanks for the encouragement
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 6:58 am
Beep

thanks for the encouragement
She's not 31 weeks pregnant when moving to a new country with no family support, friends, or a family doctor on hand
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 7:00 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The pain and discomfort of the delivery is matched only by the next 18-30 years, right? The healthcare provision for delivery may or may not be better, but raising kids overseas without immediate family to help out is no easy task, and over time probably outweighs any pros on the delivery side.

Good luck to the OP, Make sure you get that insurance sorted...

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/201...lumbia-120328/
(Cant quite figure out the $1M bill, as wouldnt the kid count as a canadian born canadian citizen irrespective of parental status)

Last edited by iaink; Apr 2nd 2012 at 7:08 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 7:07 am
Beep

Originally Posted by iaink
The pain and discomfort of the delivery is matched only by the next 18-30 years, right?

Good luck to the OP, Make sure you get that insurance sorted...

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/201...lumbia-120328/
(Cant quite figure out the $1M bill, as wouldnt the kid count as a canadian born canadian citizen irrespective of parental status)
The mother spent months in hospital so she'd have to pay for her part surely, and rightly so. Bloody freeloading foreigners

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.