Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you take your dream job if you had to move with 1 baby and 1 more on the way?

Wikiposts

Would you take your dream job if you had to move with 1 baby and 1 more on the way?

Old Jan 18th 2012, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

pheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to all
Default Re: Would you take your dream job if you had to move with 1 baby and 1 more on the wa

Originally Posted by iaink
According to tax tips..
http://www.taxtips.ca/calculators/taxcalculator.htm

With a stay home wife and 2 kids and no special deductions 95k gross leaves close to 72k ($6k a month) after federal / provincial taxes, EI and CPP.

The MSP premium for that income is $1500 ish
this is more accurate than the calculator i had thanks
with $110k im looking at a net of $6.75k per month
see my revised comparison based on everyones feedback below:

$100.00 Healthcare & Dental (Family)
$542.60 UK debts
$2,500.00 Rent
$500.00 Daycare (3 days)
$200.00 Utilities
$320.00 Car insurance
$100.00 Internet & TV
$130.00 Cell phones
$100.00 Home insurance
$120.00 Fuel
$700.00 Food
$100.00 Baby group sessions
$200.00 Entertainment

$1,137.00 reserve/savings/other

Last edited by pheonix; Jan 18th 2012 at 10:00 am.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

pheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to all
Default Re: Would you take your dream job if you had to move with 1 baby and 1 more on the wa

Originally Posted by R I C H
Me neither. What haven't been taken into account are all the other potential deductions taken from salary, for life insurances, dental, disability, parking etc etc. My net's 61% of gross after all that sort of stuff is deducted. At that rate you'd want to be earning over $120k to achieve a $6k net salary.

I agree - my net dropped $350 this month.
point taken, cheers
Old Jan 18th 2012, 10:28 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pheonix

$542.60 UK debts
$2,500.00 Rent
$500.00 Daycare (3 days)
$200.00 Utilities
$320.00 Car insurance
$100.00 Internet & TV
$130.00 Cell phones
$100.00 Home insurance
$120.00 Fuel
$700.00 Food
$200.00 Entertainment

$1,137.00 reserve/savings/other
Home ins and Car ins is on the high side and i think your entertainment or extra activities is on the low side.

If you're also funding your wife's education that will also need factoring in as well as baby clothing etc as the kids grow.

Personally, i'm with RICH and Alan2005 in that for the amount of money you're coming to, it certainly won't be an extravagant lifestyle but you could get by.

Which area are you looking to live?

As for the birth. You would probably need to secure a midwife or Dr asap and for that i think you need a care card, not insurance coverage. This is a guess but i would think that the birth would be covered but anything during the run up may be out of your own pocket unless the insurance company would be willing to cough it up. I'd be interested to know the correct answer to that one.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 10:36 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Just checked our old 3 month gap policy while we waiting for full coverage when we first moved. It says...

We cover pregnancy for up to 31 weeks; however, that does not cover routine pre-natal care (regular check-ups.) Complications that happen 9 weeks before the due date of the mother are also excluded.

I think this is the main priority in finding out more details otherwise it could be extremely costly.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 10:37 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

$542.60 UK debts
$2,500.00 Rent
$500.00 Daycare (3 days)
$200.00 Utilities - Sometimes some utilities are included in rent
$320.00 Car insurance - 2 cars? Depends on how many years of accident-free driving you can prove to ICBC's satisfaction. If you have reasonable driving records then this should be OK.
$100.00 Internet & TV
$130.00 Cell phones
$100.00 Home insurance - as a renter you only need contents insurance. Will probably be less.
$120.00 Fuel - gas (petrol)?. Should be OK for driving round town and occasional trips as long as you drive something sensible.
$700.00 Food
$200.00 Entertainment

$1,137.00 reserve/savings/other - good reserve
The only thing I see missing is what about acquiring you car(s)? Will you buy outright?
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:24 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Just checked our old 3 month gap policy while we waiting for full coverage when we first moved. It says...

We cover pregnancy for up to 31 weeks; however, that does not cover routine pre-natal care (regular check-ups.) Complications that happen 9 weeks before the due date of the mother are also excluded.

I think this is the main priority in finding out more details otherwise it could be extremely costly.
All of the employer extended health plans I have had included family at no extra cost to me, however there was a 90 day waiting period that coincided with the probationary period for the job.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:08 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Aviator
All of the employer extended health plans I have had included family at no extra cost to me, however there was a 90 day waiting period that coincided with the probationary period for the job.
Yep, and she'll be 90 days away from giving birth so they'll need to look into it.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

thanks, this issue unfortunately could be a deal breaker

I will find out and post
Old Jan 18th 2012, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The only thing I see missing is what about acquiring you car(s)? Will you buy outright?
yes, i will buy outright

thanks
Old Jan 18th 2012, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Home ins and Car ins is on the high side and i think your entertainment or extra activities is on the low side.

If you're also funding your wife's education that will also need factoring in as well as baby clothing etc as the kids grow.

Personally, i'm with RICH and Alan2005 in that for the amount of money you're coming to, it certainly won't be an extravagant lifestyle but you could get by.

Which area are you looking to live?

As for the birth. You would probably need to secure a midwife or Dr asap and for that i think you need a care card, not insurance coverage. This is a guess but i would think that the birth would be covered but anything during the run up may be out of your own pocket unless the insurance company would be willing to cough it up. I'd be interested to know the correct answer to that one.
we don't need extravagant, just comfortable

i would be living in Vancouver hence the higher home ins

thanks
Old Jan 19th 2012, 12:48 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

thanks, this issue unfortunately could be a deal breaker

I will find out and post
It need not be a deal breaker, she could just stay a few more months in the UK to have the kid, and you would be the "pathfinder" in BC, getting things ready and figuring out the lay of the land.

A couple of times when I was a kid my dad changed jobs in the UK and lived hundreds of miles away for months at a time, overseas is a little different, granted, but your kids are young and it would only be for a relatively short time. Im not saying it would be ideal, but you certainly wouldnt be the only one to do that here.

On the other hand, given the overall costs to find you, hire you and relocate you, and the prospect of having to spend time and money to find the right candidate again, I dont imagine an extra $10k or so for your wifes medical expenses would necessarily be a deal breaker for your employer either, or they may be OK with waiting an extra couple of months for you to start, given that it all takes time to sort out the paperwork anyway. Talk to them, see if you cant work something out.

Originally Posted by Aviator
When I was recruited it was a condition on my behalf that any wait period be waived, I think many employers are flexible on this.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
It need not be a deal breaker, she could just stay a few more months in the UK to have the kid, and you would be the "pathfinder" in BC, getting things ready and figuring out the lay of the land.

A couple of times when I was a kid my dad changed jobs in the UK and lived hundreds of miles away for months at a time, overseas is a little different, granted, but your kids are young and it would only be for a relatively short time. Im not saying it would be ideal, but you certainly wouldnt be the only one to do that here.

On the other hand, given the overall costs to find you, hire you and relocate you, and the prospect of having to spend time and money to find the right candidate again, I dont imagine an extra $10k or so for your wifes medical expenses would necessarily be a deal breaker for your employer either, or they may be OK with waiting an extra couple of months for you to start, given that it all takes time to sort out the paperwork anyway. Talk to them, see if you cant work something out.

When I was recruited it was a condition on my behalf that any wait period be waived, I think many employers are flexible on this.
we have no family near us to help my wife if i were to leave first, so unfortunately can't do this

thanks for sound advice i will talk to company and see if coming after birth is an option
Old Jan 19th 2012, 1:11 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

we have no family near us to help my wife if i were to leave first, so unfortunately can't do this

thanks for sound advice i will talk to company and see if coming after birth is an option
Or they might choose to cover your (her) expenses themselves too if insurance cant be found.

Is her going close to where there is family an option? couple of hundred miles, couple of thousand miles, whats the difference

Last edited by iaink; Jan 19th 2012 at 2:30 am.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 2:20 am
Beep

we don't need extravagant, just comfortable

i would be living in Vancouver hence the higher home ins
Where in Vancouver?
Old Jan 19th 2012, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Where in Vancouver?
Burnaby

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.