Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you take your dream job if you had to move with 1 baby and 1 more on the way?

Wikiposts

Would you take your dream job if you had to move with 1 baby and 1 more on the way?

Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would you take your dream job if you had to move with 1 baby and 1 more on the wa

Absolutely!!!Go for it!!!
If your wife is supportive but up for it too,then dont live life with regrets!!!
I agree, she will meet many other mums with little ones if she gets out and about to baby groups etc!!!
It wasnt BC, but I had my two girls out here and received amazing care.
Good luck and keep us posted!!!
x
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

pheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to all
Default Re: Would you take your dream job if you had to move with 1 baby and 1 more on the wa

Originally Posted by iaink
Yes, extended benefits are not the same as newcomer insurance.

Take a boo at the wiki article on heathcare in Canada and medical insurance, much is explained there.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego..._Topics-Canada

As an example, when I came, my employer provided additional "OHIP replacement" insurance, that covered the 3 month gap until I was eligable for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan. Similar coverage is what you need in BC.

Most group benefit plans (drugs, dental etc) dont care about pre exisiting conditions, but private/ one off plans might well, so make sure that her pregnancy and any associated costs will be covered.
thanks, sound advice and top on my priority list thanks to everyone highlighting it for me :-)
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

pheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LucyLovelock
Absolutely!!!Go for it!!!
If your wife is supportive but up for it too,then dont live life with regrets!!!
I agree, she will meet many other mums with little ones if she gets out and about to baby groups etc!!!
It wasnt BC, but I had my two girls out here and received amazing care.
Good luck and keep us posted!!!
x
thanks, don't worry I will keep everyone posted and really appreciate all the advice
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
Extended health from many providers also require the provincial plan to be in place for it to be active. Many employer benefit plans also have a 3 month waiting period before you can join.
thanks , I'm on it
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:49 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

That "fantastic salary"... Make sure you know what its will get you in terms of local costs and taxes. Vancouver is notouriously expensive, and BC is one of the taxiest provinces in a country with a reputation (perhaps an unfair one) for high taxes...

Its going to have to be well into 6 digits to fund teacher training here I suspect and live well in Vancouver plus pay off any UK debt.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 18th 2012 at 2:51 am.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nina874

So true, I have got six rugrats and it was never a dull minute! I still don't know what year it is half the time and my eldest is 22....

Seriously though, people are naturally drawn to pregnant women and new babies, they are great conversation starters I think if your wife were to join a mums and tots group she would make friends in no time, and antenatal classes are another great place to buddy up with people. I am still friends with some of the people that I met at antenatal class 23 years ago, and I am reasonably antisocial as a rule.

It is the best possible time to do it for the children as they have not put down roots in the Uk so you will only be dealing with your own issues, not teenage 'why have you ruined my life' type dramas as well.

I am not saying that it will be easy, but then as the saying goes, nothing that is worth having ever is.
much appreciated, checking out local mums and tots groups now
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
That "fantastic salary"... Make sure you know what its will get you in terms of local costs and taxes. Vancouver is notouriously expensive, and BC is one of the taxiest provinces in a country with a reputation (perhaps an unfair one) for high taxes...

Its going to have to be well into 6 digits to fund teacher training here I suspect and live well in Vancouver plus pay off any UK debt.
thanks, I've done a cost comparison and after the first year I will have earned almost double what I am currently earning in the UK, so even with cost of living considerably higher in Vancouver we would still be much better off financially
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:59 am
Get me out of here ...

jeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond repute

From a female perspective, I hope my honest comments below help your quandry....

Originally Posted by pheonix
Hi all,

I need advice from anyone willing to give it or who has experienced anything similar.

I have been offered a dream job in Vancouver, the only thing stopping us going is;
1. stress of moving mid pregnancy
2. the fear of having a baby 3 months after arriving
(our 2 year old son had a difficult birth)
3. getting settled with our 2 year old son in a new environment

Please see my pros and cons list below and tell me if you’d go?

Many thanks

P

Pros
Fantastic Salary good
Great Bonuses good
Good Relocation package that's great, but the move always costs more than you budget for
Good Benefits (stocks, health, dental, pension .etc) Just be aware that even plans with 100% coverage will only cover you for 100% of what the insurance company considers to be the average price. At times you will have to pay the excess. For instance, I had a quote from the dentist for a root filling repair of $1400. Insurance consider that $1000 is the average price for the procedure, therefore I am left having to pay the extra $400.
Great Job Prospects good
Job Satisfaction obviously very important to the main wage earner
Great Place to work and live time will tell
High quality of life depends on your definition of high quality
Great standard of education and health care can't comment on education, but health care can be hit and miss. Here in Ontario, you struggle to find a "family doctor" that isn't many miles away.
Slow pace of life For sure, but that can become quite annoying when you want things to move quickly and get things done
Outdoor lifestyle, scenery agree there are some beautiful places, especially around Van
Positive attitude Not all the time!
Meet new people Yes, but some Canadians can be hard to have a conversation with. They are quite reserved and keep themselves to themselves.
Exciting adventureYes an adventure
Similar culture to UK/Ireland No no no no no quite a different culture once you are living here
Family & Friends will come for a holiday, 1st year at least Yes you will have visitors certainly for the first year
Can go for 18/24 months and come back That would be your best bet - try it first and see! Wish I had done that!
My 2 year old son is young enough to goAgree
Can pay off all debts in UK in first yearThat would be great, but as above, moving here will eat a LOT of your savings
Once in a life time opportunity to live in CanadaOk
One off opportunity to excel in my careerThat's important
Will have salary to fund wife's teacher traininggood
Get away from dome and gloom of UK economy and constant rising pricesYou'll still have all the doom and gloom here as well, and don't get me started on food prices - some of them are far more expensive than the UK
Safe place to bring up kidsAgree
Can afford to put son in day care full time while wife settles and prepares for birthCan't comment on daycare myself, but have seen other posts complaining that standards can be bad here
Can shop in US (2.5 hour drive to Seattle, 40 mins to US border)Quite honestly, that's the best bit about living here

Cons
Daunting massive move, starting againYes it can be daunting, but it is achievable if you want it
Stress of moving with a baby and mid pregnancyI wish you luck
A lot of sort our before we moveagree
No family or supportthat's a biggie, especially for your other half
Only one friend in Vancouverat least you have one!
Long and expensive flights homeagree
Expensive cost of living (10% more than UK)for food and house/car insurance yes, but utility bills seem around the same
Expensive property market rent of a 3 bed house = $2.5-3k per month
Fear of having a baby abroad with no helpThat will be a daunting prospect for your OH
If we don't like it we cannot come home for 12 months or have to pay back relocation12 months will fly past really quickly
Stress of renting home in UK while in CanadaI'm sure you will find a reliable agent
Missing home comforts, home sickThat's a biggie ...but there are some British food shops around so you will be able to stock up there.
Few visitors I'm sure you will have plenty in the first year
Little knowledge of different areas of VancouverYour realtor will be able to help you immensely with that
Getting home only once a year
Also a toughie, but as I say, the year will fly past.

I hope you find my comments helpful - I have been completely honest with my answers. I find it tough going here sometimes, and other times I feel just about ok. It seems very old fashioned here, and I struggle with how dirty some of the supermarkets are, some items have no sell by date on them, and it's not illegal to sell out of date food [but not with infant food no worries].

I don't want to start ranting, so will leave it at that! Best of luck with your decision, and I wish you and your family all the best.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 3:01 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Earning double is considered the "break even" point by many people here.

Last time I looked into for my better half, for her to convert her(canadian) Masters into a teaching qualification here would have been about $30k at the local Uni, although Im a bit hazy on the details now.

And then there is no guarantee at all of actually getting a job teaching, its a tough gig here.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 3:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pheonix
thanks, I've done a cost comparison and after the first year I will have earned almost double what I am currently earning in the UK, so even with cost of living considerably higher in Vancouver we would still be much better off financially
It might be worth you posting your 'cost comparisons', just so that those who live in Vancouver can correct you on any figures you've got wrong, and also point out things you may not have thought of (often things that people don't have to pay for in the UK i.e. bank charges, fees for receiving texts/calls on mobiles, etc).

That way you can just double check that your figures work, and that you'll be left with enough each month to pay off UK debts if you hope to do that too. Double your UK salary will probably work for Vancouver, but it will depend on what you're going to and from.

Also do double check what the cost of the teacher training will be in Canada - don't forget that unless you have PR, you'll be paying international tuition fees which can be extortionate. My husband looked in to doing a masters at UBC while we were there, and that was $30k per year just for tuition (and that was the local fee!).

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 18th 2012 at 3:08 am.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
The disadvantage of that is that it would not be a Canadian citizen and then you have to deal with immigration in terms of getting the baby into Canada.
This wouldn't be a big deal as the OP would be entering on a TWP - his wife and kids can enter on visitor records (wife can possibly enter on an open TWP if eligible). It would be more of a ball ache if they were PR's already.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 3:18 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Not seen this asked but, will your preggers wife be able to travel at the time you're heading out?

Without a support network for her, would it be better for her to stay in the UK for a few months after the birth before heading out?

Before deciding or booking flights, i'd recommend contacting the local hospital to confirm acceptance for your wife and to inquire as to whether she's eligible to be allocated a Dr for the build up and actual birth of the kid.

Finally, i dare say your post is mainly for your affirmation so you know the answer to your move already.

When you do choose an area to live, i would recommend a place with as short a commute as possible otherwise your wife will go mental spending all day and evening on her own without family or friends.

Just a few thoughts.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Not seen this asked but, will your preggers wife be able to travel at the time you're heading out?
It differs by airline but usually it doesn't become an issue until 30 days before the due date. Some won't let you fly after that while others will let you go a bit further. It also depends on the length of the flight and whether it's domestic or international. There are obviously increased risks with flying while pregnant. It would be advisable to consult a doctor to make sure that flying is OK.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It differs by airline but usually it doesn't become an issue until 30 days before the due date. Some won't let you fly after that while others will let you go a bit further. It also depends on the length of the flight and whether it's domestic or international. There are obviously increased risks with flying while pregnant. It would be advisable to consult a doctor to make sure that flying is OK.
yes depends on the airline, some say not after 6 months and some say up to 30 days before

thanks
Old Jan 18th 2012, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo

Without a support network for her, would it be better for her to stay in the UK for a few months after the birth before heading out?

Before deciding or booking flights, i'd recommend contacting the local hospital to confirm acceptance for your wife and to inquire as to whether she's eligible to be allocated a Dr for the build up and actual birth of the kid.

Finally, i dare say your post is mainly for your affirmation so you know the answer to your move already.

When you do choose an area to live, i would recommend a place with as short a commute as possible otherwise your wife will go mental spending all day and evening on her own without family or friends.

Just a few thoughts.
great point, i will aim to live near work so can maximize my time with her

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.