Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you take your dream job if you had to move with 1 baby and 1 more on the way?

Wikiposts

Would you take your dream job if you had to move with 1 baby and 1 more on the way?

Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

pheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to all
Default Re: Would you take your dream job if you had to move with 1 baby and 1 more on the wa

Originally Posted by iaink
How resentful of your family commitments will you be if you dont give it a go? How supportive is your wife of the opportunity, and is she just going along with the idea while secretly harbouring doubts. Unsettled spouses are not to be taken lighty, quite often when people post here of being unhappy in Canada its becasue they came to support their partner. DOnt kid yourself that raising two small kids without family and close friends around wont have its challenging times, it will.

Bare in mind thought that in a parallel universe you could have been without wife and kids and had the offer happen, and then after taking it and moving here you end up with all that family stuff happening anyway (as it did for me). You still have to deal with the issues, and find a way to get by....

You only live once, only you can decide how the two sides of the opportunity might balance out.

On a practical front, do you know if you are legally able to take the job? Do you qualify for PR, or is it likely that a TWP would be issued? Without sorting that out you are placing the cart in front of the horse anyway.
i will not be resentful, i cant be, I love my family too much,
i have tried to risk manage the situation by trying to line up other opportunities (albeit in the UK) and ultimately my families happiness comes first, not mine

my wife is supportive but also scared, as I am
thanks for the reality check :-)

yes im legally good and all the other paperwork is being handled by a very professional employer who has a lot of experience in this field
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

pheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to allpheonix is a name known to all
Default Re: Would you take your dream job if you had to move with 1 baby and 1 more on the wa

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Have they already applied for the LMO though, or is this a company transfer? If they've yet to apply for the LMO, then you may have a bit of a conflict - starting in March is unlikely, later and your wife will be too pregnant to fly.

Just something to think about unless the LMO is well underway, or has already been granted (or it's a transfer and therefore not required).

Personally, I'd go for it, I know money isn't everything but if you can go just for a year or two and be in a good financial position to return to the UK if you hate it, then why not?

Best of luck.
LMO already granted

thanks, this is all very helpful
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:41 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of things to bare in mind if you go for it;

Make sure you negotiate a decent amount of vacation now, while they want you With just you and her to raise the kids, the more time you can spare to help her out the better it will be for both of you. Two weeks wont cut it

More seriously, there is a long wake of people that post here who could tell you about the "hire and fire" attitude of canadian employers; jobs come out of the blue, but getting canned comes out of left field too. At least 3 people I can think of came for great career opportunities only to find that after a few months their employers had changed their mind.

Make sure that if they decide "its not working out" in the first year, that they are contractually obliged to cover the relocation costs that you are at present on the hook for. Negotiating some sort of parachute deal to get back to the UK in that event might not be a bad idea too, if you think they will go for it.

I dont want to come over negative, but the employment culture and rights here have a lot more in common with the US than the UK, so plan accordingly to cover your arse.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 18th 2012 at 1:49 am.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:46 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

One other thing, make sure that you and your wife and kids have medical coverage from day one. I think BC, like most provinces, has a wait time before you become eligable for provincial coverage; you dont want to be on the hook for delivery room charges or prenatal treatment.

Make sure that her pre existing pregnancy is not going to be a problem.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 18th 2012 at 1:48 am.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

It is scary moving abroad; but you are proabably employable and could go back if you wanted.

I agree with someone else. Having young kids makes it easy to meet people.

Unless your wife is likely to suffer bad PND I would go for it. You only live once.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Couple of things to bare in mind if you go for it;

Make sure you negotiate a decent amount of vacation now, while they want you With just you and her to raise the kids, the more time you can spare to help her out the better it will be for both of you.

More seriously, there is a long wake of people that post here who could tell you about the "hire and fire" attitude of canadian employers; jobs come out of the blue, but getting canned comes out of left field too. At least 3 people I can think of came for great career opportunities only to find that after a few months their employers had changed their mind.

Make sure that if they decide "its not working out" in the first year, that they are contractually obliged to cover the relocation costs that you are at present on the hook for. Negotiating some sort of parachute deal to get back to the UK in that event might not be a bad idea too, if you think they will go for it.

I dont want to come over negative, but the employment culture and rights here have a lot more in common with the US than the UK, so plan accordingly to cover your arse.
already negotiated extra holiday and paid paternity
thanks for the heads up on the employment culture
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

One other thing, make sure that you and your wife and kids have medical coverage from day one. I think BC, like most provinces, has a wait time before you become eligable for provincial coverage; you dont want to be on the hook for delivery room charges or prenatal treatment.

Make sure that her pre existing pregnancy is not going to be a problem.
great advice, will do

many thanks
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gryphea
It is scary moving abroad; but you are proabably employable and could go back if you wanted.

I agree with someone else. Having young kids makes it easy to meet people.

Unless your wife is likely to suffer bad PND I would go for it. You only live once.
thanks
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pheonix
have contract, start date is March, wife is due end of June
Are you planning to have the baby born in BC? If so, be aware that there's a waiting period before you are covered by the province's medical insurance plan.

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/eligible.html

A birth is costly enough. Any complications only just adds to it. One benefit of having the baby born in Canada is that it becomes a Canadian citizen and you don't have any immigration issues. However, you might want to consider having it born in the UK if your medical costs are not covered in Canada. The disadvantage of that is that it would not be a Canadian citizen and then you have to deal with immigration in terms of getting the baby into Canada.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 18th 2012 at 2:00 am.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Are you planning to have the baby born in BC? If so, be aware that there's a waiting period before you are covered by the province's medical insurance plan.

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/eligible.html

A birth is costly enough. Any complications only just adds to it. One benefit of having the baby born in Canada is that it becomes a Canadian citizen and you don't have any immigration issues. However, you might want to consider having it born in the UK if your medical costs are not covered in Canada. The disadvantage of that is that it would not be a Canadian citizen and then you have to deal with immigration in terms of getting the baby into Canada.
yes, didn't realize there was a 3 months waiting period, is this waiting period still valid even if i am paying $100 a month from the day i start working for extended health and dental care with Great-West Life for my wife and son? mine is covered by the company
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:17 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

With a 2 year old and a new baby, your life is turned upside down anyway. It'll be about 2015 before your wife even knows what day it is, so the small matter of moving countries at the same time barely registers.

Go for it. Life is an adventure.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:19 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

yes, didn't realize there was a 3 months waiting period, is this waiting period still valid even if i am paying $100 a month from the day i start working for extended health and dental care with Great-West Life for my wife and son? mine is covered by the company
Yes, extended benefits are not the same as newcomer insurance.

Take a boo at the wiki article on heathcare in Canada and medical insurance, much is explained there.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego..._Topics-Canada

As an example, when I came, my employer provided additional "OHIP replacement" insurance, that covered the 3 month gap until I was eligable for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan. Similar coverage is what you need in BC.

Most group benefit plans (drugs, dental etc) dont care about pre exisiting conditions, but private/ one off plans might well, so make sure that her pregnancy and any associated costs will be covered.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:22 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Extended health from many providers also require the provincial plan to be in place for it to be active. Many employer benefit plans also have a 3 month waiting period before you can join.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

nina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
With a 2 year old and a new baby, your life is turned upside down anyway. It'll be about 2015 before your wife even knows what day it is, so the small matter of moving countries at the same time barely registers.

So true, I have got six rugrats and it was never a dull minute! I still don't know what year it is half the time and my eldest is 22....

Seriously though, people are naturally drawn to pregnant women and new babies, they are great conversation starters I think if your wife were to join a mums and tots group she would make friends in no time, and antenatal classes are another great place to buddy up with people. I am still friends with some of the people that I met at antenatal class 23 years ago, and I am reasonably antisocial as a rule.

It is the best possible time to do it for the children as they have not put down roots in the Uk so you will only be dealing with your own issues, not teenage 'why have you ruined my life' type dramas as well.

I am not saying that it will be easy, but then as the saying goes, nothing that is worth having ever is.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

lol it's soo true, time does fly and they're isn't much for me or my wife

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.