Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you recommend the moving company you used to relocate?

Would you recommend the moving company you used to relocate?

Old Apr 4th 2011, 10:23 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would you recommend the moving company you used to relocate?

Originally Posted by cxx
We used Doree Bonner and they did an excellent job of packing our stuff and keeping us informed of the shipment however can't recommend them if you are moving to Nova Scotia as their unloaders are Halifax Transfer who were terrible and damaged lots of our stuff.
I am suprised to hear that about Halifax Transfer's they are normally quiet good.

To the OP: You can always ask your UK shipper who they will use when it gets to Canada. You also have every right to say who you do, and do not want them to use. Its your stuff you tell them, there are plenty of alternatives!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

The Davenports is an unknown quantity at this point

We used Clockwork (who bought out Fox, I believe) and wouldn't recommend, the packing lads were great but the lack of info and delay in answering emails or returning phone calls was digusting.
So I wouldn't recommend them.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Welsh Tony is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your comments, makes for interesting reading. I am surprised though no one has mentioned Pickfords. Has anyone used them? They seem to be most competitive, matching other peoples prices and discounts.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Location: originally from Portchester, Nr Fareham UK now Braeside, nr Arnprior, Ontario and loving it!
Martian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Welsh Tony
We are looking at moving to NS this month. We have had quotes from several movers, all of which come in just under £4000 for a sole use 20' container with up to 3 months storage thrown in.
Having read most of the threads on here about people unsatisfied with different movers my question is:
"Would you recommend the moving company you used to relocate?"
Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.
We used PSS International Movers. They were not the cheapest or the most expensive. They were brilliant, we had no problems with them from start to finish. Good luck with the move, we have been near Ottawa, Ontario for a year now and love it!
Old Apr 7th 2011, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MillieF
" We were told ours would be 3% of value of goods but as my wife had worked as a marine insurance broker just recent to our move we knew the actual rate was between 1% and 1.5%. So always worth asking if their rate can be bettered. .
we will be sorting out our own marine insurance with these guys http://www.insure-your-move.com/Get+A+Quote

very friendly, 1.5% of declared value, and you only pay £50 admin on top. looks like a good policy cover too.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

islanders is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Welsh Tony
We are looking at moving to NS this month. We have had quotes from several movers, all of which come in just under £4000 for a sole use 20' container with up to 3 months storage thrown in.
Having read most of the threads on here about people unsatisfied with different movers my question is:
"Would you recommend the moving company you used to relocate?"
Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.
We used a company called Mark Chudley who had been recommended to us. They were very reasonable and the service was absolutely brilliant - the the team that they hooked uo with at this end were good too.