Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would like some honest advice

Would like some honest advice

Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:48 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would like some honest advice

Wow, that's pretty honest advice you guys are giving!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

do you still need $30k if the poster comes over on a TWP.with a work contract.
and yes Ei (dole)is minus tax at 65% BUT up to a max of 840$ per biwkly.
a carpenter is a job i think is in demand in MB.
but not through winter .so think 3 mnths on lay off.on 65% of average last 24wks pay.
jimmy.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:21 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
do you still need $30k if the poster comes over on a TWP.with a work contract.
and yes Ei (dole)is minus tax at 65% BUT up to a max of 840$ per biwkly.
a carpenter is a job i think is in demand in MB.
but not through winter .so think 3 mnths on lay off.on 65% of average last 24wks pay.
jimmy.
EI is calculated on past 52 weeks of hours and 26 weeks of pay.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

yeah forgot to mention the hrs rule ....and i put 24wks duh should know better as just went through the yearly EI internet routine.
(no concrete work in winter).
jimmy
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:42 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Wow, that's pretty honest advice you guys are giving!
Of course it is - what do you want everyone to say? "Hell yeah come and move with your wife and kids cos it's all gold paved roads?"

Lots of people hear on the grapevine about Canada / Australia "crying out' for this that and the other skill, and falsely believe that they are lands of a-plenty, with cheap living costs and big houses.

It isn't the case, the reality is that work is just as tough to find as it is back in the UK, and the cost of living pro rated is about the same - this is not just strangers on a internet forum trying to p*** on someones bonfire - it's the stark reality.

Canada is expensive unless you have a super high paying job or pots of equity. It really is the same sh1t different bucket, though granted the bucket is a beautiful one.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:49 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops

Canada is expensive unless you have a super high paying job or pots of equity. It really is the same sh1t different bucket, though granted the bucket is a beautiful one.
Come to Canada. It's a beautiful bucket of shit.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

brit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Aviator
No cash back up, employment security is not that great in Canada and 5 kids
The social welfare system in Canada is nothing like the UK, you are pretty much on your own. You would get no EI if laid off until you've worked for 5 months, even then it is only 65% of your wage and taxable. Medical care, you would need to cover the first three months insurance yourself. Medical care does not kick in right away in all provinces.

With no kids, maybe worth a shot, with any number kids, risky, with 5 a huge gamble. Even with $30k, that would b pretty tight these days.
I agree. You are taking a BIG risk with such a big family. The grass is not always greener!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 3:39 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit09
I agree. You are taking a BIG risk with such a big family. The grass is not always greener!
Another consideration (not a very positive one I know - but) is the cost of re-patriation if you find things don't work out for you. Five flights will be very expensive if you decide to return to the UK.

All I would say is just do as much research as you can on the regions you are contemplating, their economies, job prospects, house prices, schools, languages, accessibility to interests etc etc. I think we did about 2 years research including a 3 month sabbatical recce before we made the final plunge. Even then nothing could have prepared us for the reality of the last 2 years!

Not that I would change it for the World.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Come to Canada. It's a beautiful bucket of shit.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Carpenters here tend to be multi disciplined here(at least in my experience). When we advertise for carpenters, they must be able to frame,drywall, mud and paint, as well as all the usual finish carpentry skills normally associated with a typical British carpenter. Bigger organizations may employ specific skill sets, but this seems to be the exception rather than the norm. For drywall, read plaster board and for muding read Aimes taping. I work in residential renovations and our carpenters are paid between $20-30 per hour. They are expected to provide their own tools and are only paid if we have work for them. I know unionized workers get a higher rate of pay, but getting union jobs is much harder as is finding the work for them. If you do decide to try it, I would suggest that you go self employed. If you continue to work at the same pace as you do in the UK and do it well, you should twice as much work as the Canadians carpenters I have come across.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 1:53 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rich07
Carpenters here tend to be multi disciplined here(at least in my experience). When we advertise for carpenters, they must be able to frame,drywall, mud and paint, as well as all the usual finish carpentry skills normally associated with a typical British carpenter. Bigger organizations may employ specific skill sets, but this seems to be the exception rather than the norm. For drywall, read plaster board and for muding read Aimes taping. I work in residential renovations and our carpenters are paid between $20-30 per hour. They are expected to provide their own tools and are only paid if we have work for them. I know unionized workers get a higher rate of pay, but getting union jobs is much harder as is finding the work for them. If you do decide to try it, I would suggest that you go self employed. If you continue to work at the same pace as you do in the UK and do it well, you should twice as much work as the Canadians carpenters I have come across.
Or, to put it more succinctly, the OP would be nuts to come to Canada.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 1:42 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rich07
If you continue to work at the same pace as you do in the UK and do it well, you should twice as much work as the Canadians carpenters I have come across.
Are you suggesting British carpenters are the Polish plumbers of Canada?!
Old Nov 15th 2012, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
No cash back up, employment security is not that great in Canada and 5 kids
The social welfare system in Canada is nothing like the UK, you are pretty much on your own. You would get no EI if laid off until you've worked for 5 months, even then it is only 65% of your wage and taxable. Medical care, you would need to cover the first three months insurance yourself. Medical care does not kick in right away in all provinces.

With no kids, maybe worth a shot, with any number kids, risky, with 5 a huge gamble. Even with $30k, that would b pretty tight these days.
Totally agree with this! And would add, why would a Canadian employer take on someone from the UK, over Canadians with experience in local building and regulations? To OP do your recce trip if you are still interested in coming to Canada in winter - do not come over in summer when the weather is nice! With a wife and 5 young kiddies, I would definitely not take on this challenge. Better to move to another area of UK for work.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

brit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Totally agree with this! And would add, why would a Canadian employer take on someone from the UK, over Canadians with experience in local building and regulations? To OP do your recce trip if you are still interested in coming to Canada in winter - do not come over in summer when the weather is nice! With a wife and 5 young kiddies, I would definitely not take on this challenge. Better to move to another area of UK for work.
Agree. The 3 times we visited prior to visa was ALWAYS spring/summer, although we heard about the dreaded Canadian winters thought it was over exaggerated (wouldn't like to know how it was 20+ years ago)!
I prefer ALL the other seasons but must admit it looks beautiful from the inside with a hot Choc near the fire
Old Nov 15th 2012, 6:05 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit09
(wouldn't like to know how it was 20+ years ago)!
Not a lot different to now on the west coast. Wet winters, occasional snow, hot dry summers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.