Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would if could ......

Would if could ......

Old Dec 7th 2004, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

karenr is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Would if could ......

One question for all you expats . If I could wave a magic wand and move you back to England without any hassle , Finding you a job and somewhere to live , who would come back . Just out of interest !!!!
I am like many other people playing the waiting game . I am wanting to get a balanced view of what we are going to . The truth about Canada , I appreciate I am only going to get the truth according to everyones perspective , and my truth will be mine . I also feel that I am never going to know until we get there and see for ourselves .So we will go ahead . But i am ,like other people ,devouring the information that " already immigrated people" are posting , analysing and trying to decide how that piece of information fits with our situation . So to give me a little bit of perspective I ask the question , and figuratively wave a wand ......
Regards
Karen
Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:12 pm
Velouria

Default Re: Would if could ......

Originally Posted by karenr
One question for all you expats . If I could wave a magic wand and move you back to England without any hassle , Finding you a job and somewhere to live , who would come back . Just out of interest !!!!
I am like many other people playing the waiting game . I am wanting to get a balanced view of what we are going to . The truth about Canada , I appreciate I am only going to get the truth according to everyones perspective , and my truth will be mine . I also feel that I am never going to know until we get there and see for ourselves .So we will go ahead . But i am ,like other people ,devouring the information that " already immigrated people" are posting , analysing and trying to decide how that piece of information fits with our situation . So to give me a little bit of perspective I ask the question , and figuratively wave a wand ......
Regards
Karen
well if you're waving the wand and all i wouldnt go back to England ... even with all the money in the world and the greatest job. but in the end, it wasnt all about money for me. like ive said in other posts, no country is a utopia. for me it was down to space and convenience. the uk is a beautiful country, but ive seen it go downhill in the eight years i was there, and thats when i decided it wasnt for me anymore. canada has its negative aspects as well, all countries do. not a lot of vacation time, flights anywhere can be very expensive. but i dont feel the need to jet off for a weekend to europe like i did when i was in the UK. could be due to the fact that im happy where i am, and i dont feel the need to escape, who knows... all i know is i felt miserable in the uk..and it wasnt just due to weather. it was also due to the general apathy and complacency i kept encountering. drove me nuts in the end. but your approach is a good one... absorb everything and evaluate for yourself. a couple of trips would help as well

good luck!

Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

karenr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Velouria
well if you're waving the wand and all i wouldnt go back to England ... even with all the money in the world and the greatest job. but in the end, it wasnt all about money for me. like ive said in other posts, no country is a utopia. for me it was down to space and convenience. the uk is a beautiful country, but ive seen it go downhill in the eight years i was there, and thats when i decided it wasnt for me anymore. canada has its negative aspects as well, all countries do. not a lot of vacation time, flights anywhere can be very expensive. but i dont feel the need to jet off for a weekend to europe like i did when i was in the UK. could be due to the fact that im happy where i am, and i dont feel the need to escape, who knows... all i know is i felt miserable in the uk..and it wasnt just due to weather. it was also due to the general apathy and complacency i kept encountering. drove me nuts in the end. but your approach is a good one... absorb everything and evaluate for yourself. a couple of trips would help as well

good luck!
Thanks for the reply . We have come back from a trip to Ontario in July . That was my 7th trip out there although the first one where i was actually thinking time for us to go !!
I have a sister in the Niagara area and a cousin in London . From our trip and research we are heading to London but still within easy visiting distance from my sister .So some of the problems people experience of missing family and difficulty making contacts will be easier for us . Well I hope so ....
Karen
Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:31 pm
Velouria

Thanks for the reply . We have come back from a trip to Ontario in July . That was my 7th trip out there although the first one where i was actually thinking time for us to go !!
I have a sister in the Niagara area and a cousin in London . From our trip and research we are heading to London but still within easy visiting distance from my sister .So some of the problems people experience of missing family and difficulty making contacts will be easier for us . Well I hope so ....
Karen
well it helps to have family (relatively) nearby. that seems to be the biggest problem with people emigrating. they miss their friends and family. and with seven trips under your belt, you've been there enough to research into living there as opposed to just seeing it as a holiday. the two countries are very different, and i am finding it a culture shock, even though i am originally from canada. just a matter of re-adjusting is all

Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:58 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

One question for all you expats . If I could wave a magic wand and move you back to England without any hassle , Finding you a job and somewhere to live , who would come back .
Not on your life. But if you ever do get that wand maybe you could magic my family over here?, or even another couple of weeks holiday a year would be really great!
Old Dec 8th 2004, 3:55 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Regards
Karen
Consider your figurative wand figureatively snapped! I wouldn't want to go back (But if the wand could magic me a lottery win .... that would be nice, get all the family over too!!)

Clare