Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would I have a better life in Canada

Would I have a better life in Canada

Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:32 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would I have a better life in Canada

Originally Posted by rwin
Car insurance is expensive but no where near a mortgage payment.

Obviously the only way to decided on whether or not a move is worth it from a financial point of view is to find out what all those monthly expenses are and decide what kind of wage will allow a comfortabe life.
Apropos to nothing but our mortgage payment is less than our childcare expenses and less than the monthly costs (incl insurance) of two vehicles. If we had no mortgage we'd be better off for sure, but not in a life changing way. Now no mortgage and no childcare? Now we'd be talking.

In the OP's cas, living mortgage free on minimum wage isn't likely to be much more fun than living in Switzerland. Perhaps using her skills and qualifications to obtain a decent job in Canada & having the benefit of the equity in her swiss property to get herself well established, sounds like a much better approach.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

louisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nice

I usually am a positive person but where I work is dire. I used to have a nice boss who retired and then got the boss from hell. One person committed suicide, another took the boss to court and a third had a nervous breakdown and finished on invalidity. The boss sacked some people unfairly and then brought in her friends from the Philippines and put a spy in each office. They try to find out dirt on our personal lives and she tells them what she is writing in people's reviews. No one speaks and the atmosphere is dire! I'll be a lot more positive once I get out of here!
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:33 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Based on my mortgage and car insurance. I have no idea what either are in Switzerland. But in Canada they aren't even close.
That is debatable.

If I wanted I could have had a cheaper mortgage payment than my vehicle insurance payment. (For two vehicles admittedly)

I chose to pay mine off faster by paying by weekly over 15years instead of monthly over 25 years.

Edit: I had a sizable deposit that helped.

Last edited by magnumpi; Apr 30th 2013 at 2:35 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:34 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louisemc
I usually am a positive person but where I work is dire. I used to have a nice boss who retired and then got the boss from hell. One person committed suicide, another took the boss to court and a third had a nervous breakdown and finished on invalidity. The boss sacked some people unfairly and then brought in her friends from the Philippines and put a spy in each office. They try to find out dirt on our personal lives and she tells them what she is writing in people's reviews. No one speaks and the atmosphere is dire! I'll be a lot more positive once I get out of here!
Like Canada then, you will love it on the Asian coast :@)
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

louisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nice

Yes, I want to get a good job in Canada but I am willing to start off with a low paying job just to be employed and then look for something better. I am intelligent and can turn my hand to almost anything.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Which is the Asian coast? I might want to avoid it...

I am not racist but after my experience in this workplace...
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:37 pm

Left side has sizable Asian population. Remember that Canada is easily accessible for Filipino and Chinese immigrants

Quote:

In 2009, close to one-third of all new immigrants to Canada came from just three countries - China (29,049), Phillipines (27,277) and India (26,122).

Last edited by magnumpi; Apr 30th 2013 at 2:42 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Which is the Asian coast? I might want to avoid it...

I am not racist but after my experience in this workplace...
Isn't it a bit odd to have a 100 year mortgage in CH? My understanding is that usually people there put down a huge deposit making the mortgage managable, pay cash to buy the house outright, or rent.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

My apartment cost 890,000 Canadian dollars to buy. I put down 25% downpayment. Switzerland is not cheap! Most people here have a 100 year mortgage and then pass the mortgage on to their children when they die. Check out the Internet for information. Most people can only rent all their lives and can never afford to buy.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:45 pm

My apartment cost 890,000 Canadian dollars to buy. I put down 25% downpayment. Switzerland is not cheap! Most people here have a 100 year mortgage and then pass the mortgage on to their children when they die. Check out the Internet for information. Most people can only rent all their lives and can never afford to buy.
What if you don't have children? Does the bank take the house and sell it ? :@(
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:46 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I knew a wealthy bloke once who bought a large apartment in Gstaad. God know what it cost him, but I do remember him telling me that the builders were in bricking up the doors to some of the bedrooms for tax reasons.
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
That is debatable.

If I wanted I could have had a cheaper mortgage payment than my vehicle insurance payment. (For two vehicles admittedly)

I chose to pay mine off faster by paying by weekly over 15years instead of monthly over 25 years.

Edit: I had a sizable deposit that helped.
If I had a 25 year mortgage with payments less than car insurance, I'd have to find a $40000 house.
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I want to get a good job in Canada but I am willing to start off with a low paying job just to be employed and then look for something better. I am intelligent and can turn my hand to almost anything.
What do you want to do in Canada? Assuming you can get over the Canadian experience hurdle? That would be a good place to start to provide some assistance. Right now your questions are so general as to be unanswerable.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Sort of like parts of Vancouver then.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:50 pm

If I had a 25 year mortgage with payments less than car insurance, I'd have to find a $40000 house.
That be the average then in GTA.

Oops I'm seeing too many naughts. :@(

What if you have a $250,000 deposit? And buy a $350,000 house?

Last edited by magnumpi; Apr 30th 2013 at 2:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.