British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Would I have a better life in Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/would-i-have-better-life-canada-795476/)

Atlantic Xpat Apr 30th 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Would I have a better life in Canada

Originally Posted by rwin (Post 10685305)
Car insurance is expensive but no where near a mortgage payment.

Obviously the only way to decided on whether or not a move is worth it from a financial point of view is to find out what all those monthly expenses are and decide what kind of wage will allow a comfortabe life.

Apropos to nothing but our mortgage payment is less than our childcare expenses and less than the monthly costs (incl insurance) of two vehicles. If we had no mortgage we'd be better off for sure, but not in a life changing way. Now no mortgage and no childcare? Now we'd be talking.;)

In the OP's cas, living mortgage free on minimum wage isn't likely to be much more fun than living in Switzerland. Perhaps using her skills and qualifications to obtain a decent job in Canada & having the benefit of the equity in her swiss property to get herself well established, sounds like a much better approach.

louisemc Apr 30th 2013 2:32 pm

I usually am a positive person but where I work is dire. I used to have a nice boss who retired and then got the boss from hell. One person committed suicide, another took the boss to court and a third had a nervous breakdown and finished on invalidity. The boss sacked some people unfairly and then brought in her friends from the Philippines and put a spy in each office. They try to find out dirt on our personal lives and she tells them what she is writing in people's reviews. No one speaks and the atmosphere is dire! I'll be a lot more positive once I get out of here!

magnumpi Apr 30th 2013 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by rwin (Post 10685316)
Based on my mortgage and car insurance. I have no idea what either are in Switzerland. But in Canada they aren't even close.

That is debatable.

If I wanted I could have had a cheaper mortgage payment than my vehicle insurance payment. (For two vehicles admittedly)

I chose to pay mine off faster by paying by weekly over 15years instead of monthly over 25 years.

Edit: I had a sizable deposit that helped.

magnumpi Apr 30th 2013 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by louisemc (Post 10685325)
I usually am a positive person but where I work is dire. I used to have a nice boss who retired and then got the boss from hell. One person committed suicide, another took the boss to court and a third had a nervous breakdown and finished on invalidity. The boss sacked some people unfairly and then brought in her friends from the Philippines and put a spy in each office. They try to find out dirt on our personal lives and she tells them what she is writing in people's reviews. No one speaks and the atmosphere is dire! I'll be a lot more positive once I get out of here!

Like Canada then, you will love it on the Asian coast :@)

louisemc Apr 30th 2013 2:34 pm

Yes, I want to get a good job in Canada but I am willing to start off with a low paying job just to be employed and then look for something better. I am intelligent and can turn my hand to almost anything.

louisemc Apr 30th 2013 2:35 pm

Which is the Asian coast? I might want to avoid it...

I am not racist but after my experience in this workplace...

magnumpi Apr 30th 2013 2:37 pm

Left side has sizable Asian population. Remember that Canada is easily accessible for Filipino and Chinese immigrants

Quote:

In 2009, close to one-third of all new immigrants to Canada came from just three countries - China (29,049), Phillipines (27,277) and India (26,122).

dbd33 Apr 30th 2013 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by louisemc (Post 10685332)
Which is the Asian coast? I might want to avoid it...

I am not racist but after my experience in this workplace...

Isn't it a bit odd to have a 100 year mortgage in CH? My understanding is that usually people there put down a huge deposit making the mortgage managable, pay cash to buy the house outright, or rent.

louisemc Apr 30th 2013 2:42 pm

My apartment cost 890,000 Canadian dollars to buy. I put down 25% downpayment. Switzerland is not cheap! Most people here have a 100 year mortgage and then pass the mortgage on to their children when they die. Check out the Internet for information. Most people can only rent all their lives and can never afford to buy.

magnumpi Apr 30th 2013 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by louisemc (Post 10685347)
My apartment cost 890,000 Canadian dollars to buy. I put down 25% downpayment. Switzerland is not cheap! Most people here have a 100 year mortgage and then pass the mortgage on to their children when they die. Check out the Internet for information. Most people can only rent all their lives and can never afford to buy.

What if you don't have children? Does the bank take the house and sell it ? :@(

Jingsamichty Apr 30th 2013 2:46 pm

I knew a wealthy bloke once who bought a large apartment in Gstaad. God know what it cost him, but I do remember him telling me that the builders were in bricking up the doors to some of the bedrooms for tax reasons.

rwin Apr 30th 2013 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 10685326)
That is debatable.

If I wanted I could have had a cheaper mortgage payment than my vehicle insurance payment. (For two vehicles admittedly)

I chose to pay mine off faster by paying by weekly over 15years instead of monthly over 25 years.

Edit: I had a sizable deposit that helped.

If I had a 25 year mortgage with payments less than car insurance, I'd have to find a $40000 house.

Atlantic Xpat Apr 30th 2013 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by louisemc (Post 10685330)
Yes, I want to get a good job in Canada but I am willing to start off with a low paying job just to be employed and then look for something better. I am intelligent and can turn my hand to almost anything.

What do you want to do in Canada? Assuming you can get over the Canadian experience hurdle? That would be a good place to start to provide some assistance. Right now your questions are so general as to be unanswerable.

Former Lancastrian Apr 30th 2013 2:47 pm

Sort of like parts of Vancouver then.

magnumpi Apr 30th 2013 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by rwin (Post 10685362)
If I had a 25 year mortgage with payments less than car insurance, I'd have to find a $40000 house.

That be the average then in GTA.

Oops I'm seeing too many naughts. :@(

What if you have a $250,000 deposit? And buy a $350,000 house?