Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would I have a better life in Canada

Would I have a better life in Canada

Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:46 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would I have a better life in Canada

Originally Posted by louisemc
Is it harder now to find work in Canada?
Yes. You have had this explained a few times now.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

louisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nice

Former Lancastrian,

Did you have the same job all that time? Which city do you live in?

Do Canadians have the same work ethics as Americans?

Last edited by louisemc; Apr 30th 2013 at 9:50 am.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 10:22 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Former Lancastrian,

Did you have the same job all that time? Which city do you live in?

Do Canadians have the same work ethics as Americans?
"Hard for me to say as I havent had to apply for a job for over 24 years."

Surely you can see the implication that he has, at the least, been with the same organisation for 24 years. Perhaps not necessarily the same job, but possibly.

Are your posts a wind up ?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

louisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nice

No my posts are not a windup.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 12:23 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to know about which cities would be bad or good for jobs, we need to know the type of job or industry your looking for, this has been asked a few times already and there isn't any more information to give other than what you've already received.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

TS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to all

No my posts are not a windup.
I think they might be, you know...

You're 39, but you haven't had to apply for a job in 24 years. Yet you have such a hard life in Switzerland that you want to live in Moncton or Nanaimo.

Hmmm...
Old Apr 30th 2013, 12:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TS00
I think they might be, you know...

You're 39, but you haven't had to apply for a job in 24 years. Yet you have such a hard life in Switzerland that you want to live in Moncton or Nanaimo.

Hmmm...
It wasn't the OP that said they hadn't had to apply for a job in 24 years, it was Former Lancastrian.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

TS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It wasn't the OP that said they hadn't had to apply for a job in 24 years, it was Former Lancastrian.
Ok, my mistake.

My other comments stand.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 12:47 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering OP......What is life like in Switzerland? Would it be better for me ? Could I get a low paid job and survive well if I had no mortgage?

I've seen Switzerland on Top Gear and it looks like a nice place to live.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Switzerland is no longer the El Dorado it used to be. It used to be a rich banking country. Now there is 10 per cent unemployment in the Geneva area where I live. Salaries have been falling as the French have been working for lower wages in Switzerland and live just over the border. I pay half my wages (which are considered good) for a small 2 bedroom flat that I have a 100 year mortgage on and I drive a beat up old car. I don't live well here despite having good wages.

I work as an editor and proof reader. But I have a degree in accouting and French and postgraduate studies in management.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:01 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Switzerland is no longer the El Dorado it used to be. It used to be a rich banking country. Now there is 10 per cent unemployment in the Geneva area where I live. Salaries have been falling as the French have been working for lower wages in Switzerland and live just over the border. I pay half my wages (which are considered good) for a small 2 bedroom flat that I have a 100 year mortgage on and I drive a beat up old car. I don't live well here despite having good wages.

I work as an editor and proof reader. But I have a degree in accouting and French and postgraduate studies in management.
Just goes to show then that you can't live off the scenery. Unless you retrain as a Sherpa.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Just goes to show then that you can't live off the scenery. Unless you retrain as a Sherpa.
Sort of like moving to Vancouver then
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Sort of like moving to Vancouver then
Exactly
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

So do you believe me now when I say I live badly in Switzerland?

When I first came here in 1994, I had a shit job as a photocopier. I earned next to nothing but lived in a huge 2 bedroom furnished apartment in the city centre in Geneva in a posh area and lived very well and could save money. In the past 10 years everything has been going downhill in Switzerland for me (and everyone I know) with lack of jobs and opportunities and rising costs.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Well, I dunno. My ex sold the house we once shared, took the money and moved to Switzerland where, AFAIK, she doesn't have a job but lives on alimony. She's better off than she was here, on the same alimony, though probably not living the life of Reilly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.