Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would I have a better life in Canada

Would I have a better life in Canada

Old Apr 29th 2013, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would I have a better life in Canada

But seriously, my answer would be $20/hour with no mortgage and everything else being the same. Maybe less if I had a condo with cooresponding lower taxes and utilities (but maybe condo fees make up the difference).

Is $20/hour considered low paying?
Old Apr 29th 2013, 10:38 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwin
But seriously, my answer would be $20/hour with no mortgage and everything else being the same. Maybe less if I had a condo with cooresponding lower taxes and utilities (but maybe condo fees make up the difference).

Is $20/hour considered low paying?
I consider $10 and thereabouts low paying. McDonalds, retail type work. There was a time when $20 per hour seemed like an impossible dream for me (not that long ago).
Old Apr 29th 2013, 10:50 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louisemc
Hello,

I am a single, 39 year old female, no children.

I currently live in Switzerland and hate it! It's too expensive here. I have a 100 year mortgage on a tiny two bedroom apartment. If I sell my apartment I can come to Canada with 450,000 Canadian dollars.

I am planning on moving to either NS (Halifax) or BC (Nanaimo).

I have a degree in business studies and French. I also speak some German. I have postgraduate studies in management.

With that money I plan to buy a condo or a house. My question is if I have a low paid job but no mortgage, can I sill live well in Canada?

Thanks!
If you have a crap life where you are, would you have a better life wherever you go? Depends on the cause of your misfortunes. Maybe you would, only you will know the answer once you have tried it out. I cannot see how anyone on here can answer this question.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Originally Posted by jossie
Hi Louise,
With the money you have you will easily be able to buy a nice condo or a house. I think you would be able to live ok if you have a low paid job and you have no mortgage but given that you have some qualifications and already have your PR you should be able to find something a little better paying which would allow you a good standard of living. Canada is a beautiful place and in our experience the standard of living and quality of life are amazing. I wouldn't limit your search to only Nanaimo and Halifax as there are many more amazing places to live out here IMO. Given that you already have PR and the funds to make the move I would say you would be crazy not to go for it.
Go for it. I reckon you regret the things you don't do more than the things you do but there again we get on a plane in 4 weeks time so we have to believe that!

Good luck whatever you decide.

Last edited by Theoldfields; Apr 30th 2013 at 12:41 am.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I am a single, 39 year old female, no children.

I currently live in Switzerland and hate it! It's too expensive here. I have a 100 year mortgage on a tiny two bedroom apartment. If I sell my apartment I can come to Canada with 450,000 Canadian dollars.
I already have the PR visa.

I want to leave Europe as my job is ending soon... I want a new experience for 2 or 3 years and then possibly return to Europe.

I need a job... that is my main priority right now...
Why wouldn't you give it a try? It doesn't have to be forever.

I wouldn't spend all your money coming here and buying a house - keep a Plan B in mind, and keep some options open in Europe or elsewhere. Rent something, or pay for some rent up front and just see how things pan out. You may have a blast, you may hate it or you may be ambivalent and fancy another adventure in three years.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:12 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yet literally thousands from Europe are wanting to come to Canada so why is that one wonders.
Are they doing it for the kids, how about the variety of cheeses and Tim Hortons coffee?
Pure and simple its they are either married or common law to a Canadian.
It can't be because Canada has jobs could it? Some well paying jobs.
It's for the kids and that roller coaster of emotion.

Problem here is she has no kids.

Why can't she tell us what her profession is?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Louise, many of the forumites have come forward and given you (some very much so) well considered, sincere advise. I would be thankful and then decide for yourself. Keeping in mind if you want a slogan I once heard "wherever you go there you are".
Old Apr 30th 2013, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

louisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nice

I want to thank everyone for their good advice. I will make the move to Canada in 2014. Thank you everyone and I will take into account everything that you all said.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I want to thank everyone for their good advice. I will make the move to Canada in 2014. Thank you everyone and I will take into account everything that you all said.
If you have not activated that PR visa you have, you do know that your medical results are only valid for 12 months and you will need another one.
If you have already activated it (landed formally) then you must meet the 730 day residency requirement.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

louisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nice

Hello Lancaster,

I landed in Canada in Toronto in March 2011. So it gives me until March 2014 to land in Canada, isn't that right?

Thanks,
Louise
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Lancaster,

I landed in Canada in Toronto in March 2011. So it gives me until March 2014 to land in Canada, isn't that right?

Thanks,
Louise
Yes but be careful as if you leave it till the last moment you could get caught short. You have to meet or be able to meet the 730 day residency obligation.
So yes you could land and then go straight back as it looks like you did. Some try to plan it returning just before the 1st 3 years are up and will stay for the last 2 years thereby meeting the requirement. They forget to take into consideration that during those last 2 years they have to stay in Canada.
An illness or death happens and they have to leave. They will now not probably meet the 730 days and potentially be reported and lose their PR status.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for this advice. I will leave two months in advance then, in January 2014.

I am dead nervous! Did it take you long to find work when you first arrived?

Thanks!
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for this advice. I will leave two months in advance then, in January 2014.

I am dead nervous! Did it take you long to find work when you first arrived?

Thanks!
It took me about 12 months to get the job I wanted after applying for it once there was a vacancy. I did work in other jobs prior to getting my current job.
There again that was over 25 yrs ago and times have changed.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Is it harder now to find work in Canada?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is it harder now to find work in Canada?
Hard for me to say as I havent had to apply for a job for over 24 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.