Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would I have a better life in Canada

Would I have a better life in Canada

Old Apr 29th 2013, 1:39 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would I have a better life in Canada

I [mostly] disagree, so I'll tackle this in pieces.

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think this is a much bigger hassle than it first appears. Canada's pretty much homogenous, there's no significant cultural difference between, say, Mississauga and Calgary.
It depends what you're looking for. As you might guess, only being 150 years old means there is not going to be as much diversity, but I would definitely not call it homogenous. Toronto was mostly built up in the 1960s as the first major city in Canada and focused more on industry. Montreal was built up earlier with more French influence - more intricate churches, more stonework, etc. Vancouver is much more modern, and has the landscape advantages that Toronto and Montreal don't have. Ottawa only became a bigger city more recently after it was made the capital, and most of the architecture there is more reflective of politics, but having done a tour of the Parliament Buildings it was definitely interesting to see how it was done.

I do not think of it as homogenous. I do think there are fewer cities, but consider that the population of Canada is about 35M, and the population of Europe is 740M. Yeah, Europe is going to have a way bigger number of major cities to choose from.

And as I said before, having 1000 years of history does mean that there will be more diversity as compared to having only 150, but that doesn't mean it's homogenous.

Tract housing, chain restaurants, drive through dining; it's all a chilly version of Milton Keynes.
You can choose not to eat at chain restaurants and drive-thru dining. I live in London. There is a drive-thru McDonalds around the corner from me. The high street nearby has some chains (Pizza Express, GBK, Strada) and some boutique and family-run restaurants. I can choose where I want to eat, I have both available. I have eaten at a TON of independently run and unique restaurants all over Canada.

Tract housing - not sure what you mean by this... just that the houses are more cookie-cutter? Again, it depends where you look. I went to University in Kingston, and you could get a house anywhere from 150 years old to built 6 months ago. I find similar in Oakville, where I'm from. Old Oakville by the lake has lots of character houses, more cottages and more European-looking, whereas the newer areas have more of the modern open-plan kind of houses.

It takes days to drive from one town to another or an arm and a leg to fly so, if there's a need to visit another city in Canada (outside Quebec) it takes a great investment of time and/or money to do so and, when you get there, it's just the same as where you were.
Not going to address the similarities again because it depends what you're there to do, and what you're looking for.

Distance - yes, major cities are more of a drive - Canada is smaller in population and the same size as Europe. So yeah, to drive between major cities is definitely further. However, there are lots of very cute villages and things to do within a shorter drive. There's a reason that tons of people around the GTA spend summers in the Lakes regions, like Muskoka, Sauble, Wasaga, Bruce, etc. It's a different kind of holiday, and a different type of tourism.

As for the costs, you just have to do your research and be more strategic about it. As I said in my last post, I just tried to book a flight to Inverness for a few weeks from now, and it was going to cost me £250 return. That definitely costs an arm and a leg, and it's a domestic flight. I went to Guernsey last year and that cost me £100. I was in Venice this weekend, and that flight was also £100 return, and I had to book 9 months in advance to get that price. That was a 2-hour flight. To compare, I've just looked up flying from Toronto to Quebec City in December (again, 9 months in advance), a 1.5h trip, and that's £125 return. Halifax was £300, admittedly, and that's a 2-hour flight. However, I also know that in Canada you have to be more mindful of airline sales as you can have way more luck that way.

Granted this is not an immediate problem for new immigrants; they're not likely to have reason to visit another town within Canada nor time off work to do so. Long term though, visiting Canadian cities makes one scream for the cultural diversity of America, nevermind Europe.
Population of Canada: 35M
Population of America: 312M.
Yeah, USA is going to have more culture. But you border the USA, and no one is saying you have to restrict your travel to within Canada. A flight from Toronto to Boston for a weekend in December (a 1.5h flight) will run you £250 return; fly out of Buffalo instead and it will run you £81.

You just have to do your research in terms of travel.

And as I said before, you have to be realistic. Canada doesn't have the same travel diversity - it's not as big in terms of population, it's way more sparse, and it's not as old - even the US is a fair bit older, and with 10x the population, they are going to have more diversity. But go to the various areas of Toronto - little Greece, little Italy, little Portugal, Chinatown, etc etc - you will find TONS of diversity, just on a different scale.

Be realistic. Canada <> Europe. That does not mean it's worse, it just means it's different.

/rant
Old Apr 29th 2013, 1:50 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is a much bigger hassle than it first appears. Canada's pretty much homogenous, there's no significant cultural difference between, say, Mississauga and Calgary. Tract housing, chain restaurants, drive through dining; it's all a chilly version of Milton Keynes. It takes days to drive from one town to another or an arm and a leg to fly so, if there's a need to visit another city in Canada (outside Quebec) it takes a great investment of time and/or money to do so and, when you get there, it's just the same as where you were.

Granted this is not an immediate problem for new immigrants; they're not likely to have reason to visit another town within Canada nor time off work to do so. Long term though, visiting Canadian cities makes one scream for the cultural diversity of America, nevermind Europe.
Amen.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 1:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
I Be realistic. Canada <> Europe. That does not mean it's worse, it just means it's different.
Granted. IMO the size of the place is a disadvantage (unless you want to keep livestock).

Yes, I think the houses are cookie cutter; vast estates of stick builds on former farm land and so without trees. Featureless estates, you can't navigate to someone's house by pubs or other landmarks because there aren't any. I'd say that Oakville, north of the QEW, is a prime example of such. Calgary seems to consist entirely of the same; it seems to follow the Brampton, Houses Round the Old Gravel Pit, model.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yet literally thousands from Europe are wanting to come to Canada so why is that one wonders.
Are they doing it for the kids, how about the variety of cheeses and Tim Hortons coffee?
Pure and simple its they are either married or common law to a Canadian.
It can't be because Canada has jobs could it? Some well paying jobs.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 2:13 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Remember the question was could the OP live comfortably on a low paid job, with no mortgage !!!

NO !

As the bills here still need paying, and it ain't cheap to live on the left side of Canada.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louisemc
Hello,

I am a single, 39 year old female, no children.

I currently live in Switzerland and hate it! It's too expensive here. I have a 100 year mortgage on a tiny two bedroom apartment. If I sell my apartment I can come to Canada with 450,000 Canadian dollars.

I am planning on moving to either NS (Halifax) or BC (Nanaimo).

I have a degree in business studies and French. I also speak some German. I have postgraduate studies in management.

With that money I plan to buy a condo or a house. My question is if I have a low paid job but no mortgage, can I sill live well in Canada?

Thanks!
Hi Louise,
With the money you have you will easily be able to buy a nice condo or a house. I think you would be able to live ok if you have a low paid job and you have no mortgage but given that you have some qualifications and already have your PR you should be able to find something a little better paying which would allow you a good standard of living. Canada is a beautiful place and in our experience the standard of living and quality of life are amazing. I wouldn't limit your search to only Nanaimo and Halifax as there are many more amazing places to live out here IMO. Given that you already have PR and the funds to make the move I would say you would be crazy not to go for it.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 29th 2013 at 3:49 pm. Reason: Pointless dig at other forum members removed.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 4:32 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

you have PR, just come and you'll find out for yourself.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 4:39 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I currently live in Switzerland and hate it! It's too expensive here. I have a 100 year mortgage on a tiny two bedroom apartment. If I sell my apartment I can come to Canada with 450,000 Canadian dollars.

That's plenty of money to get established in Canada (except maybe Vancouver), you're not alone, I've met lots of Swiss here in Calgary, they seem to like Canmore because it reminds them of Switzerland, lots of Swiss live there. There's a Swiss deli for example: http://valbellagourmetfoods.ca

Halifax does not have a particularly good job market, not compared to Calgary anyway and Nanaimo seems like an odd choice as well.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 4:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
That's plenty of money to get established in Canada (except maybe Vancouver), you're not alone, I've met lots of Swiss here in Calgary, they seem to like Canmore because it reminds them of Switzerland, lots of Swiss live there. There's a Swiss deli for example: http://valbellagourmetfoods.ca

Halifax does not have a particularly good job market, not compared to Calgary anyway and Nanaimo seems like an odd choice as well.
Lots of Swiss all across Canada, enough that guggelmusic (sp?) troupes tour annually.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 6:33 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Don't be so judgemental! Lots of people are out of work in Europe right now. I still have a job but I want to move on before it ends and go somewhere where I actually can find work. I went recently for an interview for a job. 250 people applied. I was lucky to have been called for interview but did not get it.
are you bringing your cats with you ?
Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:26 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is a much bigger hassle than it first appears. Canada's pretty much homogenous, there's no significant cultural difference between, say, Mississauga and Calgary. Tract housing, chain restaurants, drive through dining; it's all a chilly version of Milton Keynes. It takes days to drive from one town to another or an arm and a leg to fly so, if there's a need to visit another city in Canada (outside Quebec) it takes a great investment of time and/or money to do so and, when you get there, it's just the same as where you were.

Depends where you go. Sure in the smaller towns and cities it'll be much of a muchness. Same as if you go to any small town or city in America or in the UK. They'll be quite similar to one another.

The larger cities tend to have more about them. The idea of Canada being "homogenous" can't really be squared when it has immigrants from basically every country living in it and, unlike the US, encouraged to maintain their own cultures and languages.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by orly
The larger cities tend to have more about them. The idea of Canada being "homogenous" can't really be squared when it has immigrants from basically every country living in it and, unlike the US, encouraged to maintain their own cultures and languages.
There's no practical difference between the US and Canada as regards the integration of immigrants. We can't say, for example, that Toronto is more diverse in population or more supportive of multiculturalism than New York City. In fact NYC is arguably more bilingual. However, established populations in regions of the US have cultural differences, Mormons in Utah are not like Cajuns in Louisiana. I don't think Canada has any regional differences of that type.

I take the point that places with concentrations of new immigrants are superficially culturally different than places with no, or different, immigrants; Brampton and Dearborn might be examples. They're not, however, different in the way that, say, Paris and Budapest are different. English is enough anywhere in Canada (except Gaspe), the architecture is roughly the same anywhere except Quebec, the primary food suppliers are the same and sell the same goods across Canada. Paris and Budapest both have immigrant populations and those populations are different in culture from the natives but, as well, the natives are different in culture from each other.

I don't say that everyone in Canada lives in an identical fashion, some don't go to Tim Horton's but the differences are hair splitting. Plonked down in a blindfold one wouldn't know without seeing a sign if one was in Mississauga from Edmonton; thus it's dispiriting to spend the huge fare to get from one to the other.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have a different life in Canada. I think that's what it comes down to, ultimately.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 8:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I have a degree in business studies and French. I also speak some German. I have postgraduate studies in management.

With that money I plan to buy a condo or a house. My question is if I have a low paid job but no mortgage, can I sill live well in Canada?

Thanks!
What would you really like the replies to be?
Old Apr 29th 2013, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
What would you really like the replies to be?
I'm guessing "Yes"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.