Worthless

Old Mar 12th 2002, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

zinsser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worthless

Hi,
I am an IT professional with over 10 years of experience.
I moved to Canada in Jan 2002, and guess what every bit of my experience is apparently worthless !!!
I worked in the US for 6 years and in UK and Germany for 4. And they have nothng to offer me ??
Talk about discrimination , why do they even bother to make us wait this long to treat us like dogs.

Should add a clause to the application form that says:
We want you so that we can treat you like dirt .
Old Mar 12th 2002, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Juliet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Worthless

Zinsser, I was sad to read your post earlier today. I am no expert, but times are tough. A lot of people have been laid off from the IT industry and it may just take a little longer than you had hoped to find a good job. However, I am offended that you blame the country that you moved to i.e. Canada. When you applied to immigrate here and may I just add how priviledged you are to have been accepted (many people dream of living here) you should have researched employment possibilities beforehand and educated yourself on how easy or difficult it would be to find a good position. Please accept my encouragement and good wishes, but do not insult a country that granted your wish to live there.
Juliet
Old Mar 12th 2002, 9:37 pm
Vincent Gogh

quit complaining! there are thousands of other IT professionals out there looking for
jobs both in Canada and the US. why did u move in the first place if you have a job
already in UK or US?

VG

"zinsser" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I am an IT professional with over 10 years of experience. I moved to Canada in
    > Jan 2002, and guess what every bit of my experience is apparently worthless !!! I
    > worked in the US for 6 years and in UK and Germany for 4. And they have nothng to
    > offer me ?? Talk about discrimination , why do they even bother to make us wait
    > this long to treat us like dogs.
    >
    > Should add a clause to the application form that says: We want you so that we can
    > treat you like dirt .
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 12th 2002, 10:06 pm
Blindog

you are approaching the problem with the wrong frame of reference: it's not about
what "they" (presumably Canada) have to offer you but what you can offer us - the
rest of the people here. "They" owe you nothing. You owe it to yourself to prove that
you can function well as a human being - nothing to do with being I.T. or E.T. If at
any point you feel you cannot offer anything (lack of training, lack of willingness
to retrain, lack of ideas on how to create opportunities for yourself), it is time to
consider leaving and going back to the good life you had presumably left behind in
order to grace us with your presence in this country.

Sorry about the harsh words but I am responding to your post which was equally harsh
and unforgiving

George

P.S. I would also add that since you have only been here for a couple of months you
may be rushing to judgement

> Hi, I am an IT professional with over 10 years of experience. I moved to Canada in
    > Jan 2002, and guess what every bit of my experience is apparently worthless !!! I
    > worked in the US for 6 years and in UK and Germany for 4. And they have nothng to
    > offer me ?? Talk about discrimination , why do they even bother to make us wait
    >
    > Should add a clause to the application form that says: We want you so that we can
    > treat you like dirt .
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Mar 12th 2002, 10:06 pm
cml

On 12 Mar 2002 16:03:53 -0600, Juliet <[email protected]> wrote:

Zinsser, I don't care how educated you are but you are lacking in grace, which is the
defining character of good person. Grace see no colour and boundary, canadian or not.
I hope you will redeem what you said.

>Zinsser, I was sad to read your post earlier today. I am no expert, but times are
    >tough. A lot of people have been laid off from the IT industry and it may just take
    >a little longer than you had hoped to find a good job. However, I am offended that
    >you blame the country that you moved to
    >i.e. Canada. When you applied to immigrate here and may I just add how priviledged
    > you are to have been accepted (many people dream of living here) you should
    > have researched employment possibilities beforehand and educated yourself on
    > how easy or difficult it would be to find a good position. Please accept my
    > encouragement and good wishes, but do not insult a country that granted your
    > wish to live there. Juliet
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 13th 2002, 12:35 am
Rob Napier

Hi zinsser,

I guess you are having a hard time finding a job, with 10 years of experience, that's
bad. If you have a PR, why would they discriminate? Based on nationality? What field
of IT are you aspiring to work in?

Thanks!

zinsser wrote:

>
    > treat you like dirt .
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Mar 13th 2002, 3:05 am
Chorbalan

zinsser wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >Hi, I am an IT professional with over 10 years of experience. I moved to Canada in
    >Jan 2002, and guess what every bit of my experience is apparently worthless !!! I
    >worked in the US for 6 years and in UK and Germany for 4. And they have nothng to
    >offer me ?? Talk about discrimination , why do they even bother to make us wait this
    >long to treat us like dogs.
    >
    >Should add a clause to the application form that says: We want you so that we can
    >treat you like dirt .

The job market seems really bad here in the US - good people are out of work for 4-5
months and land jobs not so good. I quess in Canada is much worse.

>
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 13th 2002, 4:05 pm
Goldfinger

>
    > treat you like dirt .

Let me guess, did you put your whopping 10 years of IT experience on your resume?

It is very hard to find the same level of employment as you had before and you have
to start from a lower level. Trim your 10 year experience to 5 and get your first
job. After you got one year of Canadian experience under your belt, feel free to
put back the 5 years of experience you trimmed off and start looking for a higher
level job.

Old Mar 13th 2002, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

zinsser is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for ur reply everybody and I wish to apologize for my outburst.
Gets pretty frustrating u know...

Regards,
Zinsser
Old Mar 18th 2002, 9:05 pm
Adrian

> Thanks for ur reply everybody and I wish to apologize for my outburst. Gets pretty
    > frustrating u know...
Hey,

Don't worry about it. Canadians have this thing in that they are averse to any
criticism of Canada, valid or not.

Adrian