Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it worth shipping over DVDs to Canada?

Is it worth shipping over DVDs to Canada?

Old Aug 6th 2011, 9:42 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth shipping over DVDs to Canada?

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
There are some that will say rippin' dvd/blu-rays is illegal
In the UK it is. In Canada it isn't. Mind you if you rip them, then get rid of the originals then you are no longer the owner and now have illegal copies of them.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 9:45 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EssentialP
I don't understand how DVD prices are so expensive here! It shocks me.
If you check out the BBC Canada website you will see the prices are much higher and most of the stuff is really old especially comedies which are ranging mostly from the 1970 to the 1990s. Great if you want Are You Being Served lol I was flicking through their website and did a comparison:

All Creatures Great & Small Complete Collection - $349.48 (plus tax) BBC Canada
All Creatures Great & Small Complete Collection - 71.48 GBP HMV UK

Doc Martin Series 1,2,3,4 - $99.98 + tax BBC Canada
Doc Martin Series 1,2,3,4 - 17.49 GBP HMV UK

I used to order from Sendit.com (UK) but they have hiked up their delivery charges from 1 GBP to over 4 GBP per item to Canada :-( They are now even charging for UK deliveries too.

If you are taking over a container, fill it up the brim, including all your kitchen and garage nik naks otherwise you will just have to go out and replace it all.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 9:54 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
If you check out the BBC Canada website you will see the prices are much higher and most of the stuff is really old especially comedies which are ranging mostly from the 1970 to the 1990s. Great if you want Are You Being Served lol I was flicking through their website and did a comparison:

I used to order from Sendit.com (UK) but they have hiked up their delivery charges from 1 GBP to over 4 GBP per item to Canada :-( They are now even charging for UK deliveries too.

If you are taking over a container, fill it up the brim, including all your kitchen and garage nik naks otherwise you will just have to go out and replace it all.
Yep, and some things you cannot get on Amazon.ca at all. Having sent our entire complement of DVDs (and everything else) to my OH in BC already, I treated myself to "Dougal and the Blue Cat" on DVD, which was under a tenner.
I couldn't find it anywhere for sale in Canada. (I would have thought with it being in English and French they would have been all over it like a rash!)
I think Christmas presents are going to involve a lot of this sort of thing from now on.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

EssentialP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cookie

Insanity!

Before moving, along with bringing all my DVDs, I actually went through my Amazon wish list for all the DVDs I wanted — especially seasons of TV shows — and purchased them ALL. Easily saved me hundreds upon hundreds of dollars.

I also think i'll just stick with my region-free DVD player and get family to ship me UK DVDs every so often.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 11:03 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EssentialP
Insanity!

Before moving, along with bringing all my DVDs, I actually went through my Amazon wish list for all the DVDs I wanted — especially seasons of TV shows — and purchased them ALL. Easily saved me hundreds upon hundreds of dollars.

I also think i'll just stick with my region-free DVD player and get family to ship me UK DVDs every so often.
Or you could do what my OH did - leave your spouse in the UK, get her/him to ship all your things including your entire DVD and CD collection over to Canada, leaving her/him with next to nothing, thus assuring that in the meantime while the house is being sold she/he will probably buy several lovely DVDs that you also wanted and bring them with her/him when she/he finally comes over.
Not that I am bitter or anything.....
Old Aug 7th 2011, 3:22 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
In the UK it is. In Canada it isn't. Mind you if you rip them, then get rid of the originals then you are no longer the owner and now have illegal copies of them.
Really....where did you pull that one out of? You might want to look into that again matey
Old Aug 7th 2011, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

EssentialP is an unknown quantity at this point

Really....where did you pull that one out of? You might want to look into that again matey
I believe what he said is correct actually. The only legal evidence you have of ownership is the original DVD. Otherwise what's to stop someone ripping DVDs to their hard drive then selling the originals to someone else after?
Old Aug 7th 2011, 5:24 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, in the UK format shifting is actually illegal (but rarely enforced.) And even in countries that allow for format shifting, if you then sell your DVDs you no longer have the rights to have a copy of them as you don't own the copyright usage anymore.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

NoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really nice

We brought ours over and bought a reasonably priced multi-regional dvd player. It works fine.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

we brought all of ours over and watch them via the laptop - link it to the tv and watch it big screen or leave the kids with the big tv and hide away with my 'decent' shows and a glass or 3 lol
Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:46 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Nicola N-A
we brought all of ours over and watch them via the laptop - link it to the tv and watch it big screen or leave the kids with the big tv and hide away with my 'decent' shows and a glass or 3 lol
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!!
Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:55 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we bought a Progressive Scan player from Canadian tire for $30 (I think) it plays all our UK DVDs. We got the Digitron make but they also sell a Sony one for $50
Google Canadian tire for these and you can see both.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

pontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond repute

Comparing BBC Canada to HMV or Amazon UK in terms of price is apples and oranges. BBC charges full whack and moves very little product compared to Amazon Canada, Walmart or any high volume/discount retailer. You can always order specialty UK DVD's from Amazon UK once you're here anyway. Postage isn't too bad, especially since you're not charged VAT - and unless it's a large order, Canada Customs usually ignores it as well on the way in.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 3:07 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pontcanna
Comparing BBC Canada to HMV or Amazon UK in terms of price is apples and oranges. BBC charges full whack and moves very little product compared to Amazon Canada, Walmart or any high volume/discount retailer. You can always order specialty UK DVD's from Amazon UK once you're here anyway. Postage isn't too bad, especially since you're not charged VAT - and unless it's a large order, Canada Customs usually ignores it as well on the way in.
Multi-region DVD players are comfortably under $100 and they can be good reliable names. We have our entire UK DVD collection and they all play absolutely fine on the Canadian 110v TV. Having looked into various options, we've found that even with shipping costs, Amazon and its contemporaries are still by fay the most cost effective way of acquiring DVDs.

Incidentally, I don't know whether this is true of all Canada, but here in BC, DVDs can be taken out of the Library for a week at a time absolutely free. You search for the programme or film you're after online and then you receive an email when it arrives at your local branch for collection. In the winter months, we've wiled away many a dark evening with Lovejoy, Pie in the Sky, Hetty Wainthrop, Maigret, The Good Life, Only Fools etc etc.....
Old Aug 10th 2011, 3:22 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Multi-region DVD players are comfortably under $100 and they can be good reliable names. We have our entire UK DVD collection and they all play absolutely fine on the Canadian 110v TV. Having looked into various options, we've found that even with shipping costs, Amazon and its contemporaries are still by fay the most cost effective way of acquiring DVDs.

Incidentally, I don't know whether this is true of all Canada, but here in BC, DVDs can be taken out of the Library for a week at a time absolutely free. You search for the programme or film you're after online and then you receive an email when it arrives at your local branch for collection. In the winter months, we've wiled away many a dark evening with Lovejoy, Pie in the Sky, Hetty Wainthrop, Maigret, The Good Life, Only Fools etc etc.....
Yep, my husband is a big fan of the library DVD lending system in BC!
He gets DVDs there quite often - FREE, as you say, rivi!
Libraries are often overlooked for media other than books and so well done for mentioning it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.