Reload this Page >

Is this worth doing?

Wikiposts

Is this worth doing?

Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

kevinm will become famous soon enoughkevinm will become famous soon enough
Default Is this worth doing?

My situation - We landed May 2011 and we stayed for a month reccie that included Vancouver / Kelowna and NS.
Ive always wanted to live in Canada since the 1st time I visited in 2006, since then we have had 2 children and that has someone changed things.

We live quite well here and dont want for anything but Im in a job I want to change and is it the time to try Canada while we still have the chance.
If we dont go Ill always think what if as this will be our only chance.

Anyway for the question, We are considering moving over for 6 months to see how it goes, we would look for jobs, schools etc.
I feel we have to try it to see if it seems the right thing to do.
Is this is a good idea

Ive always thought can we have the same quality of life (ie affording things like we do in the UK) if we were financially the same in Canada as we are in the UK it would be a no brainer to me.

I think basically im airing my thoughts to see what people say. I know everyones situation is different but after years of looking im still as confused as ever.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this worth doing?

Not something I'd do with kids personally, just don't think it's fair to uproot them just for six months and then have to return to the UK, but I guess it depends on how old they are - are they in school etc yet?
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:45 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

It might be, but then again it might not be...

Given the information available I believe you have a 50% chance of sucess with a margin of error around+-50%
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:46 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You mean try it for 6 months and if its OK make it a more permanent move at that point, right, not leave after 6 months regardless?

Well, the risks are obvious, if you give up a job to do it it may well not be there in 6 months if it doesnt work out, and if you come and them leave its going to cost a fair bit of money.

But you want to change job anyway, and if you have the money then "its only money", right? Kids will see it as an adventure with any luck, but it can be age dependent I suppose.

Sounds like now or never to me. But if you dont have $30-50k to fall back on, then Id be wary about giving it a go with kids in tow. MIght be worth coming on your own for a few months, may not be ideal, but it will give you a chance to start to get established and wont be a major disruption for the kids if it goes pear shaped. Try and land a job from the UK first too, to save bleeding a lot of money up front. it may not be possible, but its got to be worth trying to arrange something in advance.

2 bits of advice:

Rent, dont buy at first.

Dont tell people here you are here for a 6 month trial, they will never hire you.

Getting a job that pays enough and that wont bore you is the biggest part of the puzzle for most.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 26th 2012 at 9:01 am.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not something I'd do with kids personally, just don't think it's fair to uproot them just for six months and then have to return to the UK, but I guess it depends on how old they are - are they in school etc yet?
I should explain we wouldn't be intending to do this for another year but I want to do some research on rentals schools jobs etc, that would lead to alot more questions that im not sure about.
Our girls are 4 & 3 so dont really see this as to much of problem.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinm
I should explain we wouldn't be intending to do this for another year but I want to do some research on rentals schools jobs etc, that would lead to alot more questions that im not sure about.
Our girls are 4 & 3 so dont really see this as to much of problem.
OK, so school this year for your eldest? JMO, but I wouldn't take her out of school for six months as it could be quite unsettling. Although I gather that most people's children adapt quite easily - just not mine it would seem (my five year old has only just settled a year after moving half an hour away from our previous home!). So perhaps I'm a bit biased knowing how much it's upset him with a relatively small move.

What are you planning to do about your job, will they hold it open that long? What about your house, can you rent it out or will it not be worth it just for 6 months (and if so, can you cover the bills etc while you're gone and sort insurance etc)? Look in to really good medical insurance, obviously as visitors you won't be eligible for healthcare in Canada. How much will it mess up your eldest's school by her missing 6 months of school? Just a few things to think about.

Tbh, I don't really see what this will achieve that a 2 week trip couldn't - you could look at schools/jobs/rentals etc in a shorter timescale. So it's not something I would do, but JMO.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 9:02 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I would just make the move, put the kids in school, get a job, find a place to live and see how it goes for a few months, I dont see what a 6 month research visit can acheive that a month cant, just get on with it if you are going to do it.

IF you want to make a deadline for making a decision as to whether its working or not I would go for at least a year. 6 months is bad for "culture shock", and after a year at least you have seen all the seasons.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 9:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by iaink
I would just make the move, put the kids in school, get a job, find a place to live and see how it goes for a few months, I dont see what a 6 month research visit can acheive that a month cant, just get on with it if you are going to do it.

IF you want to leave a deadline for making a decision as to whether its working or not I would go for at least a year. 6 months is bad for "culture shock", and after a year at least you have seen all the seasons.
Have I got the wrong end of the stick? OP, do you already have a visa? If so, then it's a different matter entirely, I was assuming you'd have to return after the six months were up so it would be uprooting the family only to return 6 months later.

If you do have PR already, then go for it! Apologies if I've misunderstood.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 9:07 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Have I got the wrong end of the stick? OP, do you already have a visa? If so, then it's a different matter entirely, I was assuming you'd have to return after the six months were up so it would be uprooting the family only to return 6 months later.

If you do have PR already, then go for it! Apologies if I've misunderstood.
"We landed in May 2011...."

Do try and keep up at the back
Old Jun 26th 2012, 9:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

"We landed in May 2011...."

Do try and keep up at the back
I'll get my coat.

Given how many people on this forum use 'landed' to just mean arrive in Canada, even for a holiday, I ignored that as it's often not any indication of visa status.

So, to sum up: if no visa and going over on a visitor visa, then I think the OP is mad, if he's got PR, then I think he should go for it.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

IF you want to make a deadline for making a decision as to whether its working or not I would go for at least a year. 6 months is bad for "culture shock", and after a year at least you have seen all the seasons.
Good points Ian.
The only reason we have thought 6 months is if we dont like it in that time then we would come back just in time for them to go back to school so only really missing around 3-4 months of school (ie Mar-Sept)

Ideally id like to buy a up and running business but my question is why is a business for sale if its doing well

Do you know how easy it is to get any form of credit for newbies, I know its getting more and more difficult. When we were over last year we actually opened a bank account only to close it again after we found out it was costing us (we never knew you had to pay to have a bank account)

Id be interested to know if you think we can get by on $4,000 a month if renting a $1500 property (family of 4)
Still not 100% sure on area to live either Kelowna region or Abbotsford / Chilliwack /Sardis (we have friends who we think are moving to that area)
Old Jun 26th 2012, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

I'll get my coat.

Given how many people on this forum use 'landed' to just mean arrive in Canada, even for a holiday, I ignored that as it's often not any indication of visa status.

So, to sum up: if no visa and going over on a visitor visa, then I think the OP is mad, if he's got PR, then I think he should go for it.

Sorry, I didnt make it very clear, yes we have our visas and SIN cards
Old Jun 26th 2012, 9:31 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, I think you're mental if you think you can move here, buy a business, keep it going, experience enough of Canada to know if you think it's the right thing for you etc... all within 6 months.

If you want to make the move, do it. If you're not really sure, dont.
Moving here is ridiculously expensive- costs to ship furniture, flights, rental deposits, utility deposits, overspending on everything because you dont know any better... etc
Old Jun 26th 2012, 9:36 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Personally, I think you're mental if you think you can move here, buy a business, keep it going, experience enough of Canada to know if you think it's the right thing for you etc... all within 6 months.

If you want to make the move, do it. If you're not really sure, dont.
Moving here is ridiculously expensive- costs to ship furniture, flights, rental deposits, utility deposits, overspending on everything because you dont know any better... etc
Agreed.

Add to that a few months with no income at the very minimum, even up to 6 or 12 months. That could be another $24k to $48k on top of the above.

Add the emotional stress on the family and yourself.

Plus the emotional stress on parents and siblings if applicable.

It's a huge undertaking with a young family who are looking to make the moves just because it might be the right thing to do.

Then add the same numbers again if it's not the right thing to do.

Holy shit

Oh, and if the options were to stay enjoying life in the UK or move to chilliwack or Abbotsford, you be crazy to move in my opinion. Did you visit Abby? Uuuurgh

Last edited by el_richo; Jun 26th 2012 at 9:39 am.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 9:37 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinm
Good points Ian.

Id be interested to know if you think we can get by on $4,000 a month if renting a $1500 property (family of 4)
Still not 100% sure on area to live either Kelowna region or Abbotsford / Chilliwack /Sardis (we have friends who we think are moving to that area)
No. Next?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.