Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it worth bringing an iphone 4s?

Is it worth bringing an iphone 4s?

Old Jan 8th 2013, 12:59 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all
Default Re: Is it worth bringing an iphone 4s?

Originally Posted by Dashie
Excellent, thank you just one of those kiosk places in the mall to unlock them?
I am not sure but give it a try. Good luck
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Unless you specifically want a new phone then keep the 4S. If you were looking at moving to something new then you will get more money in UK for selling the phone.

SIM wise like others have said, no need to go pay-n-go. There are many options for monthly no contract services. I recommend Koodo myself. $56 a month for unlimited minutes (including incoming), 2GB data, unlimited messages including international and services such as call display and voice mail.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

russjp will become famous soon enoughrussjp will become famous soon enough

I had to get my iphone unlocked through the network it was supplied by through Apple cost me £25. Apparently they`re not the easiest of phones to unlock properly and jailbreaking them only works if you dont update the phone through iTunes
Old Jan 8th 2013, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

bex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nice

In Canada the mobile phone networks do not get the kick back from the handset manufacturers to subsidise the phones and therefore when you take out a contract and include a "free" phone you will pay a lot for it over a much longer period than you would in the UK. I am planning on taking my 4s and getting it unlocked before I go by the network.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 2:18 am
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Yes yes yes bring it unlocked. That's what I did. Got a one month rolling contract with Virgin which I've changed once a month for the last 3 months & it finally now suites my usage over here.
You just put your new sim in and plug it into iTunes and it does the rest if I remember rightly. It was easy, anyway...
Husband came over earlier without me and without a handset of any sort and signed up for a new Samsung galaxy s3 for 3 years....and it makes me shudder to think what he's paying and what he doesn't get for his money
Old Jan 10th 2013, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

sandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to all

Bring the phones and buy a sim card with a pay as you go plan. Petrocan is one that I would recommend. There are others. Stay away from long term contracts via Bell, Rodgers, Virgin etc or any other provider that will confine you to their service. Cell service, compared to the States, is pricey here.
Also the pricier the phone the higher the monthly charges are.
If you go to any mall provider they will usually just charge a set fee for unlocking. However, some of them will not unlock them without you signing a contract. If that happens just move on to the next one.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 12:10 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by russjp
I had to get my iphone unlocked through the network it was supplied by through Apple cost me £25. Apparently they`re not the easiest of phones to unlock properly and jailbreaking them only works if you dont update the phone through iTunes
O2 will unlock your phone for you either in the UK or remotely for free... interesting article on how to use that to your advantage even if you are not an O2 customer: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/realworld/359...#ixzz1kPkHmUHe

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?...locking%20Form

My sons' friend unlocked his without any problem, chucked in a PAYG card from here, hooked it up to the computer then fired up i-tunes and all worked fine.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 11th 2013 at 12:15 am.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 8:51 am
Just Joined

GeordieYankee is an unknown quantity at this point

Just want to thank you all for taking the time to reply!! So helpful. We had O2 unlock both phones for free (thanks for the helpful article!) but haven't tried putting new SIMs in yet or updating itunes etc. We both have a few months left on our contracts that we'll have to pay for, but at least we won't be shelling out for new phones upon arrival in Canada. Now to choose between all of the options!!

Honestly, thanks so much for the help- there is so much going on with the move this is one less thing to think/stress about.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Jane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Dear all,

Does the same apply to iphone 3G and iphone 4 models as well?

Thanks!
Old Jan 15th 2013, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

Any one know how to get a vodaphone unlocked?

R
Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:59 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads

R
Just take it to an East Indian cell phone store and in 10 mins it be done. Don't go to your provider they poss wont do it.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 1:06 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jane Barlow
Dear all,

Does the same apply to iphone 3G and iphone 4 models as well?

Thanks!
Shouldnt be any issue with them working out in Canada, they just need unlocking and a Canadian sim popped in. The only issue you would have is if you had brought a CDMA network compatiable phone from a US network like Verizon. CDMA phones do not use sims, but I would asssume you got your phones in the UK in which case they run on the GSM network and should work just fine
Old Jan 15th 2013, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mikeypm, yes we got them in the UK.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

bex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Just take it to an East Indian cell phone store and in 10 mins it be done. Don't go to your provider they poss wont do it.
Most providers will unlock your phone FOC. I would recommend this route because sometimes when you buy an unlock service from the Internet or an "east indiancell phone store" (lol) they can sometimes revert back when you attempt to do a software update. I will be unlocking mine with O2, they provide the service on their website FOC.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 1:32 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads

R
http://campaigns.vodafone.co.uk/UnlockCodeRequestForm/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.