Workingin Canada Expo

Wikiposts

Workingin Canada Expo

Old Oct 10th 2009, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Christyloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Workingin Canada Expo

Hi Everyone,

Today I went to Manchester to the Workingin Opportunity Canada Expo (Also on London next weekend) - I was so excited prior thought it was an excellent opportunity to gain new contacts for employment and just get some general info - WRONG!!

When I spotted this Expo there was no mention that there too were exhibitors from New Zealand and Australia as well as Canada, which wasn't a problem BUT amongst the pathetic amount of exhibitors from New Zealand and Australia were THREE stalls, yes only THREE stalls from companies representing Canada, two immigration lawyers and one relocation company (who were lovely but still didn't make up for the lack of others).

We were there literally 30mins max and at a price of £15 each a total rip off!!
Just a warning to others who were thinking of going...DON'T you guys on here are the best source of info out there!

Also to add insult to injury after arriving at 9.30 we found that seminars booked for info on Canada weren't til 2:00-3:00 as you guessed it......The Australian and New Zealand seminars were on first in the morning - NOT IMPRESSED....

Ok rant over! Other than that we had a lovely day in Manchester! LOL
Old Oct 10th 2009, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

cargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nice
Default Re: Workingin Canada Expo

we went to the leeds one. there was only Canada there. Mainly 3 representatives of Canada among others. One from Newfoundland, one from New Brunswick, one from Nova Scotia. It was same price, and we was not there long either. But after leaving my CV with the 3 we now live here in Canada. I could have been here within 2 months of going, but our circumstances delayed us till June this year. it’s a really big culture shock. But nothing we can not adapt too. So was worth every penny
Old Oct 11th 2009, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Christyloo
Hi Everyone,

Today I went to Manchester to the Workingin Opportunity Canada Expo (Also on London next weekend) - I was so excited prior thought it was an excellent opportunity to gain new contacts for employment and just get some general info - WRONG!!

When I spotted this Expo there was no mention that there too were exhibitors from New Zealand and Australia as well as Canada, which wasn't a problem BUT amongst the pathetic amount of exhibitors from New Zealand and Australia were THREE stalls, yes only THREE stalls from companies representing Canada, two immigration lawyers and one relocation company (who were lovely but still didn't make up for the lack of others).

We were there literally 30mins max and at a price of £15 each a total rip off!!
Just a warning to others who were thinking of going...DON'T you guys on here are the best source of info out there!

Also to add insult to injury after arriving at 9.30 we found that seminars booked for info on Canada weren't til 2:00-3:00 as you guessed it......The Australian and New Zealand seminars were on first in the morning - NOT IMPRESSED....

Ok rant over! Other than that we had a lovely day in Manchester! LOL
We also went, a dead loss all round, the only exhibitors there were agents of various kinds who will do for a fee what you can do yourself, but we also had a nice walk round Manc.
We went to the one in Liverpool the other week it was the same.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 7:23 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

I had booked a ticket, but in the end decided not to travel - bad cold - am glad given the feedback I didn't bother this weekend.

Might be ok for those only starting to look, but given I have chosen the town & province I prefer already & the forms are prepped then it seems to have been the better decision to not go today.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Funny enough we were thinking of going to the London one next week but they have not provided details of the exhibitors- there is a FAQ section that says that it will be provided nearer the event. Link is below:

http://www.expo-canada.com/faq.aspx#q11

We went to one about two years ago at Sandown (although that was emigrate2.co.uk) and there was loads of exhibitors there. We were going to go to the one next week but I had a nagging doubt in my mind as the exhibitors weren't listed and the venue is a lot smaller this time. Also the Expo for NZ and Oz is on the same day at the same venue suggesting that like your experience there will be little on display regarding Canada.

Shame really as we were looking forward to going and do a bit of networking.

Last edited by Yelkcub; Oct 11th 2009 at 11:28 am.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Yelkcub
Funny enough we were thinking of going to the London one next week but they have not provided details of the exhibitors- there is a FAQ section that says that it will be provided nearer the event. Link is below:

http://www.expo-canada.com/faq.aspx#q11

We went to one about two years ago at Sandown and there was loads of exhibitors there. We were going to go to the one next week but I had a nagging doubt in my mind as the exhibitors weren't listed and the venue is a lot smaller this time. Also the Expo for NZ and Oz is on the same day at the same venue suggesting that like your experience there will be little on display regarding Canada.

Shame really as we were looking forward to going and do a bit of networking.
I don't think there was a single employer recruiting there, it was agencies ie...'recruiting for Manitoba Healthcare', which does not mean they represent anyone in Manitoba really.
It was almost all health care agencies, banks, money exchange services, removals, immigration agents and one pet removal company.
No actual employers...save your money.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

This is a common thread. We went april 2008 and wit the expense of getting to LOndon, staying the night we felt deflated.

I feel that you can learn more on here. For the vast majority of us I think it is a waste of time and you would be better off directly contacting employers/recruitment agenicies etc .

At least we had a good night in london out of it.

JET