Reload this Page >

Working for UK company whilst in Canada

Working for UK company whilst in Canada

Old Nov 18th 2018, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

dizzydaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working for UK company whilst in Canada

Hi all

I was wondering if I could get a bit of advice/confirm my understanding of what will be required for my potential move to Canada next year! I've had a search through previous threads which I've found helpful but just want to make sure I'm on the right track. Bit of background info:

We currently reside in the UK and my wife has been offered a job in BC and I work for a small tech company. My preference would be that I will still be employed by my UK company and be paid through payroll. My understanding is that from a visa perspective I will be eligible for a open work permit and from an employment point of view I will need to register myself as self employed and invoice my company for my services with the appropriate GST/VAT classification. I'd also need to file a tax return in Canada for my work completed in Canada. My job would require me to fly back to the UK every month for at least a week so the 183 day rule may become a factor for tax residency purposes but I'd consider myself a non-resident tax resident in Canada.

Are my above assumptions correct? Also, a couple of questions I have are around the invoicings:
1. Would the invoice for my gross monthly amount or net amount I receive into my bank account?
2. Would I apportion the invoice for the time spent in Canada vs UK?
3. My UK company has no operations or financial ties in Canada so I also assume there would be no implications for my company either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.