Reload this Page >

Working for a UK company from Canada

Working for a UK company from Canada

Old May 6th 2015, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

sraphim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working for a UK company from Canada

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before and I've missed it in an FAQ. Some quick background info on me:
* I'm currently employed with a UK company
* HMRC have my postal address down as my parents (in the UK)
* My wife is Canadian and due to timeframes and other circumstances, I am flying to Canada as a Visitor to begin with and then submitting our Spousal Application from within Canada

My employer has given me the go ahead to continue to work for them without needing to be in the office. My salary will continue to be taxed within the UK and entering a UK bank account.

Once I move over to Canada is there anything I need to do about taxes?

Does my employer need to do anything?

Or am I OK in thinking I can continue to be paid to a UK account by a UK company, paying UK tax (PAYE) without any major headaches?

When I want to transfer money into Canada I can already do this via an International bank transfer. Do I need to declare this on any tax returns or similar?

Hopefully this isn't that wild a situation to be in and someone has the experience and know how to remove this air of confusion and doubt I have!

Thanks!
Old May 6th 2015, 7:09 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working for a UK company from Canada

Once you become a deemed tax resident (nothing to do with immigration status) you are liable for tax in Canada. You can get credit for foreign tax paid, but CRA want their slice if Canadian tax would be higher, you will also get dinged for CPP and can voluntarily pay EI if you want to get that benefit.

Determining your residency status

There are a bunch of ways to bring money over and even more thread on this site on the subject. The search function should keep you busy reading. If your funds are tax paid and not subject to CGT (sale of assets) or any currency gains since becoming a tax resident, they don't need reporting. In any event, only the gains require reporting. If you hold assets over $100k look at the requirement for the T1135.

T1135 - Foreign Income Verification Statement

A foreign employer has to do nothing in Canada, you as the resident would be responsible for any tax liability or finding out if there is any.
Old May 7th 2015, 3:19 am
Just Joined

sraphim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working for a UK company from Canada

Thanks @Aviator for the clarification.

This all seems more or less inline with my understanding; but I'm no lawyer or accountant!