Reload this Page >

Working from UK or Canada - job ideas needed

Working from UK or Canada - job ideas needed

Old Nov 9th 2020, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

dj322 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working from UK or Canada - job ideas needed

Hello,

I have been wondering if there are any companies which allow you to work remotely full time, regardless of where you live. I will be returning to Canada next year to be with my wife and family but my family are all in the UK. I would like the flexibility to be able to work in the UK and Canada for a few months at a time and was wondering if there are any companies or particular professions I should think about. I know this will cause all kinds of potential issues when it comes to taxes and residency, so I am assuming I would be best working as a self-employed person and paying taxes on my worldwide income in one country.

Ultimately I am trying to find the best way to balance me being with mine and my wife's family throughout the year.
Old Nov 9th 2020, 2:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working from UK or Canada - job ideas needed

Originally Posted by dj322
Hello,

I have been wondering if there are any companies which allow you to work remotely full time, regardless of where you live. I will be returning to Canada next year to be with my wife and family but my family are all in the UK. I would like the flexibility to be able to work in the UK and Canada for a few months at a time and was wondering if there are any companies or particular professions I should think about. I know this will cause all kinds of potential issues when it comes to taxes and residency, so I am assuming I would be best working as a self-employed person and paying taxes on my worldwide income in one country.

Ultimately I am trying to find the best way to balance me being with mine and my wife's family throughout the year.
Hi Yes, there are agencies (and companies) that you can freelance for remotely... working a few months in each country (physically) could cause a nightmare both tax wise and residency wise, I would suggest remote work would be the way to go.
What is it you do?
Old Nov 10th 2020, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Hello, you seem to be the only one replying to my new messages these days, not that I'm complaining

Most of my career has been in IT Support but the last year or so has been in email marketing. Being in IT is probably my best bet to get a remote working job. My intention would be to go back to the UK perhaps for a couple months in the year and live in Canada most of the time. Working for a Canadian company seems to be the easiest way to do it as the 8 hour time difference would make it doable while I am in the UK, whereas working for a UK employer in Canada creates a big challenge with the time difference (I have done it before so know how hard it was). I guess as long as I don't stay in the UK for over 6 months in a tax/calendar year, I won't be deemed a resident.

Just trying to figure out which companies/agencies I can contact to make this happen.
Old Nov 10th 2020, 3:06 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You could start your search here: https://ca.indeed.com/Telecommuting,...,-Virtual-jobs
Depending on which Province you are moving to, it could be as little as 4 hours time difference to the UK.. so don't discount working for International companies.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 10th 2020 at 3:09 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2020, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, will be BC so 8 hour time difference.