British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Working a Seaason on Whistler blackcomb (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/working-seaason-whistler-blackcomb-828407/)

Chris2222 Mar 13th 2014 4:32 pm

Working a Seaason on Whistler blackcomb

Hi Folks

I have decided to go to Whistler when I arrive in Canada, and try and get a job In Whistler Blackcomb , hopefully more chance of landing a job.
The housing is just a real worry to me at the moment. Unless I can get a job with all the perks that Whistler blackcomb offers, do you know if working anywhere on the resort you have the opportunity to take up the subsided accommodation or is that only if your working for the big hotels,

Say I worked in a pub in Blackcomb would i be still be able to take up subsided accommodation or have to look for an apartment etc ?

As the bunac full placement scheme offers both, the thing is I don't really have the extra money to be messing around trying to find accommodation or to do any travelling before.
I will basically need to get into a job as soon as I arrive in Canada and if I go with Bunac I would have one already waiting for me.

Thanks people :)

And if anyone wants to give there reviews, advice or storys about working on Blackcomb that would be cool too . Cheers

Dulciusexasperis Mar 13th 2014 5:25 pm

Re: Working a Seaason on Whistler blackcomb

Kind of late in the season now isn't it?

If you work in a pub you may or may not have access to accomodation but what you will have is the same as everyone else working in the pub. So an answer will exist.

Chris2222 Mar 13th 2014 5:31 pm

Oh no, I was talking about this season coming up, this November :)

catpea33 Mar 13th 2014 6:03 pm

Hi Chris,

Subsidised (not subsided!) accommodation exists for numerous jobs in Whistler but it's not always advertised as being a benefit - asking during an interview is always a good thing to do. Usually the subsidised accommodation is for the larger companies as you stated but some of the smaller companies offer it too. For example, one of my friends worked for a currency exchange and they had a staff house. Be aware that the staff housing varies in standards. The aforementioned friend was sharing a room (bunkbeds) and was living with pot smokers.

Just as a tip, when you first arrive, you can stay in the staff housing at Whistler Blackcomb before the mountain opens (at least you could in 2002). It was $7 per night but if you're not successful in getting a WB job then you need to move out to allow staff to move in; they usually tell you the date you have to move out by. The staff housing disappears quickly...

Alternatively if you need private accommodation, accept the fact that you will get ripped-off. You'll most likely be sharing a room for a ridiculous price. When I was there, the fire department threw a fit after discovering more than 20 people living in an attic (just mattresses on the floor and curtains for 'privacy') and they were paying $500 per month EACH for the privilege... :thumbdown:

Not sure what the Bunac placement is but going out there with a job would be a sensible thing to do given the level of competition out there for jobs.

Chris2222 Mar 13th 2014 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by catpea33 (Post 11171595)
Hi Chris,

Alternatively if you need private accommodation, accept the fact that you will get ripped-off. You'll most likely be sharing a room for a ridiculous price. When I was there, the fire department threw a fit after discovering more than 20 people living in an attic (just mattresses on the floor and curtains for 'privacy') and they were paying $500 per month EACH for the privilege... :thumbdown:

Not sure what the Bunac placement is but going out there with a job would be a sensible thing to do given the level of competition out there for jobs.

Wow 20 people in an attic lol :ohmy:

Bunac might be a better option to begin with and I can always move on once I get things better sorted when out there.

lauren3274 Aug 4th 2014 10:31 am

Hey Chris,

Im looking to do a full placement with BUNAC in 2015, how did you get on with them in the end? :)

haggis88 Aug 6th 2014 5:42 am

Originally Posted by catpea33 (Post 11171595)
living with pot smokers.

isn't this just everyone in BC?

Chris2222 Aug 6th 2014 9:58 am

Originally Posted by lauren3274 (Post 11357835)
Hey Chris,

Im looking to do a full placement with BUNAC in 2015, how did you get on with them in the end? :)

Hi Lauran I haven't left unfortunately,I'm hopeing to go in January. :)
Going the full placement route wasn't as easy as I thought. From What I understand you are paying the £600 for a face to face interview with a Canadian employer in London.
Being from Scotland I would have to have coughed up even more hundreds of £ just to get to London. Also they could not tell me when the interview was or when THEY wanted us in Canada, What about booking my flights etc ?:huh:. As in I wanted to go out in the summer there, and they said we don't do the summer, we tell you when we want you in Canada :sneaky:
Seemed all abit unprofessional and shady to me, Im still consideriing there Self placement. Because I don't have a clue yet what to do.

sazzle.pops Aug 6th 2014 12:49 pm

Hi Lauren,

I'm flying out on the 2nd November, I looked at doing it through the agencies but as Chris mentioned above they all seemed a little shady so I did it all myself.

They have recruitment fairs for all the big hotels and for jobs with 'the mountain' at the end of October beginning of November in Whistler. There is also a big recruitment drive at the end of January as a lot of people leave.

I haven't got a job sorted and going to try find work when I get there, I'm not picky about what I do, I'm buying my lift pass so I have the flexibility to change jobs, and my accommodation is all sorted and will be paid for in advance.

You still have plenty of time before the next round of IEC opens to think about your options, I can keep you updated about how I get on finding work etc. If you have any questions just send me a message.

lauren3274 Aug 6th 2014 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by sazzle.pops (Post 11360278)
Hi Lauren,

I'm flying out on the 2nd November, I looked at doing it through the agencies but as Chris mentioned above they all seemed a little shady so I did it all myself.

They have recruitment fairs for all the big hotels and for jobs with 'the mountain' at the end of October beginning of November in Whistler. There is also a big recruitment drive at the end of January as a lot of people leave.

I haven't got a job sorted and going to try find work when I get there, I'm not picky about what I do, I'm buying my lift pass so I have the flexibility to change jobs, and my accommodation is all sorted and will be paid for in advance.

You still have plenty of time before the next round of IEC opens to think about your options, I can keep you updated about how I get on finding work etc. If you have any questions just send me a message.

Hey!

Thanks for the info! How are you going to find somewhere to live before you have found a job?
Also how did you find the IEC visa application process? What details did they ask you for? :) im trying to prepare everything as soon as i can so i can be super speedy when they are relased. Also did they give you a realese date at all? :)

sazzle.pops Aug 6th 2014 2:18 pm

I found the process relatively pain free. The dates for next year are announced on this page Travel and Work in Canada | Temporary Work Visa For Work Holidays in Canada for Students and Youth | International Experience Canada there is a link to a step by step guide on there too.

There is also a really good blog post here that explains everything IEC visa application | Immigrate to Canada | Moving to Canada I basically had everything ready on a word document and copied and pasted everything in, I went in the final round and was number 5067 of 5350. I hear that some people that are on the waiting list of number above 8000 are now getting to put their application in, even if you miss the quota you should still be ok if your on the waiting list.

I have basically saved a lot of money to pay for the accommodation for the season and other things, there a few places that do season hire, they are usually a bit more expensive but you get the security of having a place when you arrive. The wages are generally not great so if you get a job that doesn't offer accommodation your wages will not cover a lot, so take as much money as you can with you because its expensive there.

Best thing to do is just research, search in Google, I found loads of blog posts/ FB pages etc. that really helped.

lauren3274 Aug 6th 2014 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by sazzle.pops (Post 11360366)
I found the process relatively pain free. The dates for next year are announced on this page Travel and Work in Canada | Temporary Work Visa For Work Holidays in Canada for Students and Youth | International Experience Canada there is a link to a step by step guide on there too.

There is also a really good blog post here that explains everything IEC visa application | Immigrate to Canada | Moving to Canada I basically had everything ready on a word document and copied and pasted everything in, I went in the final round and was number 5067 of 5350. I hear that some people that are on the waiting list of number above 8000 are now getting to put their application in, even if you miss the quota you should still be ok if your on the waiting list.

I have basically saved a lot of money to pay for the accommodation for the season and other things, there a few places that do season hire, they are usually a bit more expensive but you get the security of having a place when you arrive. The wages are generally not great so if you get a job that doesn't offer accommodation your wages will not cover a lot, so take as much money as you can with you because its expensive there.

Best thing to do is just research, search in Google, I found loads of blog posts/ FB pages etc. that really helped.

Did you get notified when they were going to be realesed? Or did they just tell you on the day? :)
I would rather get a job sorted before i go but im not sure how realistic that is.....

beckiwoo Aug 6th 2014 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by lauren3274 (Post 11360394)
Did you get notified when they were going to be realesed? Or did they just tell you on the day? :)
I would rather get a job sorted before i go but im not sure how realistic that is.....

Last year they did but apparently the year before they only told people the 2nd and 3rd dates.

At the moment the wait list for the UK is at around 6,100 - that is the current numbers that are being asked to pay and submit documents. ( I think the 8000 is for Ireland)

Lots of people get accommodation before they get a job. I. Currently applying for jobs at the moment for ready when I go out in September but a lot of employers prefer you to be in Canada and prefer face to face or phone calls.

It's been a while since I have had to do covering letters as well ( much better at application forms and job specs) so it's a real learning curve

sazzle.pops Aug 6th 2014 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11360461)
It's been a while since I have had to do covering letters as well ( much better at application forms and job specs) so it's a real learning curve

Same here, found a few good websites that have sample cover letters on them that I've been stealing bits and pieces from.

Good luck on the hunting

beckiwoo Aug 6th 2014 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by sazzle.pops (Post 11360469)
Same here, found a few good websites that have sample cover letters on them that I've been stealing bits and pieces from.

Good luck on the hunting

You too :)