Working remotely for US company

Wikiposts

Working remotely for US company

Old Jun 20th 2005, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

otarusnow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working remotely for US company

Hi,

My US based company has agreed to let me work remotely for them from Vancouver and I am wondering if there is anything that I to report this to any Canadian government agency other than the reporting on the income tax?

Thanks.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

otarusnow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working remotely for US company

PMM or anybody,

It seems that I will have to report my work to Human Resources Centre of Canada for income tax purpose. Other than this, is there anything that I need to do, such as submitting any document to other Canadian government agency?

Thanks
Old Jun 20th 2005, 11:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by otarusnow
PMM or anybody,

It seems that I will have to report my work to Human Resources Centre of Canada for income tax purpose. Other than this, is there anything that I need to do, such as submitting any document to other Canadian government agency?

Thanks
How are they intending to treat you on their books, are you an employee or a subcontractor ?

I'd guess you're not an employee so I would think you either have to be self-employed or incorporate. Either way you have to worry about paying EHT and CPP and possibly about withholding taxes. I often work remotely into the US but the clients usually cannot or will not deal with foreign corporations so I incorporated in the US.

Accountants in Vancouver must be familiar with the situation, it'd be worth your while to hire one as, once things are set up it's difficult to rearrange them.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 11:45 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm about to start working remotely for a UK company, as a salaried employee. The UK tax people are not even slightly interested in me. The Canada Revenue Agency has told me that for this year I should just sit on my gross earnings. After I file this year's tax return, and pay my taxes, they will start asking for installments (monthly or quarterly - not sure yet) for next year, based on this year's income. The Quebec tax people will do likewise.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 4:48 am
Just Joined

lissybrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by otarusnow
Hi,

My US based company has agreed to let me work remotely for them from Vancouver and I am wondering if there is anything that I to report this to any Canadian government agency other than the reporting on the income tax?

Thanks.
Just tell them you want to be paid in cash, then you have nothing to worry about!