Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Working in Ottawa as new to the country

Working in Ottawa as new to the country

Old Oct 14th 2021, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Working in Ottawa as new to the country

Hi guys - I am in the process of an internal transfer from US to Canada (3 years back I moved from UK to US on the same type of transfer, company managerial transfer).

The point is;
my company, in principle, allowed me to choose the location to settle on and I was between Ottawa and Toronto. Now from HR they came back saying there is a law that an immigrant cannot work in Ottawa unless has previously lived 5 years in the country.
it does look weird to me and in a quick Google search I cannot find anything about it.

Do you guys know anything about it?

Cheers!
Old Oct 14th 2021, 8:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Ottawa as new to the country

I’m wondering if perhaps they mean you can’t work in the job unless you’re a PR? But then that would apply no matter where the job is based. I’d ask them for a link on a government website explaining it as it doesn’t sound right to me.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I’m wondering if perhaps they mean you can’t work in the job unless you’re a PR? But then that would apply no matter where the job is based. I’d ask them for a link on a government website explaining it as it doesn’t sound right to me.
thanks for the reply, I am moving with a work permit, no PR.
As far as I know I am allowed to work in the country with the work permit and going as InterCompany Transfer, indeed they said Toronto no problems.

if there is a requirement (legally) that you cannot work in Ottawa unless you are PR or citizen, this could be, however I find nothing in Google.

Anyways, it does sound weird if this exists and this is what I am trying to find. My trust in some of the mobility team members from my firm is limited due to past events.

Last edited by circusplaza; Oct 14th 2021 at 8:41 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 8:54 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by circusplaza
thanks for the reply, I am moving with a work permit, no PR.
As far as I know I am allowed to work in the country with the work permit and going as InterCompany Transfer, indeed they said Toronto no problems.

if there is a requirement (legally) that you cannot work in Ottawa unless you are PR or citizen, this could be, however I find nothing in Google.

Anyways, it does sound weird if this exists and this is what I am trying to find. My trust in some of the mobility team members from my firm is limited due to past events.
1. They maybe confused, as in 99.99% of cases you have to be a PR or Canadian citizen to work for the Federal Gov't. I assume your job won't be with the Feds.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. They maybe confused, as in 99.99% of cases you have to be a PR or Canadian citizen to work for the Federal Gov't. I assume your job won't be with the Feds.
Not working for the government neither directly nor indirectly.
I am inclined to think (unless someone here enlightens me) that:
a) they just want to “force” me to live in Toronto as a bigger city and office workforce.
b) they do not know what they do.

I would be fuming now they ask me to move to Canada because they need my skills there and pretty much open any location and now I choose they come up with problems.
Old Oct 15th 2021, 12:23 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You won't be an immigrant, per se, if you are only coming here on a TWP as an intra company transfer - it's temporary status, not permanent immigrant status..
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Intra...ransfer-Canada

This might be of use https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-code-c12.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 15th 2021 at 12:26 am.
Old Oct 15th 2021, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You won't be an immigrant, per se, if you are only coming here on a TWP as an intra company transfer - it's temporary status, not permanent immigrant status..
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Intra...ransfer-Canada

This might be of use https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-code-c12.html

yes, this describes the type of visa I spoke to the lawyers about.
it does not say anything about restrictions on locations on this visa (unless I missed something in the canadian website), so something is not right in the HR process to tell me today Ottawa is not an option.
Old Oct 15th 2021, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Folks, any other comments here?
Old Oct 15th 2021, 3:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Folks, any other comments here?
Are you still on LOA from the American company - until they 'relocate' you temporarily?
Old Oct 15th 2021, 3:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Shelly, your links have no place on this thread, they have nothing to do with the OP's questions.
Old Oct 15th 2021, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Are you still on LOA from the American company - until they 'relocate' you temporarily?
not yet on LOA as the official letter has not arrived, so still fully employed.
But I believe this is not relevant either for the question above, is it?
Old Oct 15th 2021, 3:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

not yet on LOA as the official letter has not arrived, so still fully employed.
But I believe this is not relevant either for the question above, is it?
It might not be relevant to the question above, but if Siouxie's asked, I'm guessing there's a reason for that and it has a bearing on something.
Old Oct 15th 2021, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

That is a weird one. If it is "Ottawa" referring to the geographical location, it isn't the Forbidden City, so there is probably something more going on with your company.

If your company is in any way involved in sensitive business with the Federal Goverment, so we are talking "Ottawa" referring to government, that may be the issue. PR can, as far as I know, be required in some instances, and even citizenship in others (I think for defence).

Old Oct 15th 2021, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
That is a weird one. If it is "Ottawa" referring to the geographical location, it isn't the Forbidden City, so there is probably something more going on with your company.

If your company is in any way involved in sensitive business with the Federal Goverment, so we are talking "Ottawa" referring to government, that may be the issue. PR can, as far as I know, be required in some instances, and even citizenship in others (I think for defence).
thanks!
my company may have programme running government initiatives, but so far I won’t be part of them, it is not my area of expertise.
The Ottawa decision was more a personal decision versus living in Toronto.

Old Oct 15th 2021, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It might not be relevant to the question above, but if Siouxie's asked, I'm guessing there's a reason for that and it has a bearing on something.
And I replied

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.