British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Working Holiday Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/working-holiday-visa-843471/)

capala Sep 19th 2014 4:37 pm

Working Holiday Visa

Hi

I am applying for a Working Holiday Visa. I want to move to a big city such as Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver.I have a few questions.

• How and where can I find work? I will do almost any type of job. Should I find a job before I go or can I get one once I'm there.

• How and where can I find somewhere to live? I preferably would like my own place or at least my own room

Thanks

SchnookoLoly Sep 19th 2014 4:42 pm

Re: Working Holiday Visa

:welcome:

Work - you'll be better off applying once you are here. You can enter Canada as a visitor and start applying for jobs, then cross back out and re-enter once you have a job in hand so that you don't run down the clock while you're applying for a job. You say you'll do anything, but what would you want to be doing? If it's just waitressing or whatever then that you can apply in person. If you are looking for a more corporate job then make sure your LinkedIn page is up to date, start getting in touch with recruiters for your industry, then start applying for jobs. The wiki has a whole section on job hunting in Canada, it's much different than in the UK.

Living - you can try looking on craigslist/kijiji (our version of Gumtree), but you can also go through real estate agents. You can ask for recommendations on here, or do a search for previous threads talking about agents, or just look online for TOronto real estate rental agents (or whatever city) and fire off an email.

Good luck!

capala Sep 19th 2014 4:45 pm

Thanks for the quick response. It's much appreciated.

FaithC Sep 29th 2014 7:30 pm

Hi,

Whats a working holiday visa and is there an age limit on that? and how do you apply?

Sorry for all the questions!

Aviator Sep 29th 2014 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by FaithC (Post 11422556)
Hi,

Whats a working holiday visa and is there an age limit on that? and how do you apply?

Sorry for all the questions!

For the UK under 30

FaithC Sep 29th 2014 7:51 pm

Thanks Aviator!
I'm 7 years too late!! why are they agist!

Aviator Sep 29th 2014 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by FaithC (Post 11422578)
Thanks Aviator!

It is a bilateral youth mobility program, I guess at 30 that is generous youth.

plasticcanuck Sep 29th 2014 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by FaithC (Post 11422578)
Thanks Aviator!

We have more than sufficient old/aging people in Canada. If there wasn't a demarcation line we'd be swamped with them.

FaithC Sep 29th 2014 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11422711)
We have more than sufficient old/aging people in Canada. If there wasn't a demarcation line we'd be swamped with them.

LOL, i'm only 37, and it is only for a year!

plasticcanuck Sep 30th 2014 2:54 am

Originally Posted by FaithC (Post 11422778)
LOL, i'm only 37, and it is only for a year!

So you say. If you like it enough you may never go back, lol.