Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Working Holiday

Working Holiday

Old Jun 4th 2018, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Titan66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working Holiday

Hi guys, so around October I'll be heading to Canada on a working travel visa. I have a degree but I'm not looking to get stuck into a full time job (not that I'm expecting to walk into one). So my first question is what sort of jobs would suit me best based on the Canadian way of living? Secondly I will be hoping to visit/stay in 2/3 places during my time, I'm initially looking at Calgary/Vancouver Island during the colder months and then come summer venture up to Whitehorse and see the Yukon. Any advice would be really appreciated!
Old Jun 4th 2018, 1:20 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working Holiday

Originally Posted by Titan66
So my first question is what sort of jobs would suit me best based on the Canadian way of living?
I'm not sure what this means but the options are probably going to be similar to those for a short stay young resident in the UK (e.g. cleaning, bar work, kitchen duties, waiting tables, office work etc) unless you have a particular skill set that could get you fixed term work in a professional field.

Keep in mind that a lot of things in Canada use provincial certification though such as health and safety for restaurant workers.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 2:43 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titan66
my first question is what sort of jobs would suit me best based on the Canadian way of living?
Maybe,
Cowboy
Gold miner
Lumberjack
Old Jun 4th 2018, 2:54 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Maybe,
Cowboy
Gold miner
Lumberjack
You forgot moose breeder and maple syrup salesman.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

I can’t speak for Vancouver. But calgary at that time is taking on a lot of Christmas staff in retail & hospitality- so a LOT of casual hours that may suit you. A lot of the mountain hotels have live-in staff and require a lot of roles to be filled over the winter- those roles attract a lot of people on working holiday visas. But then those roles are more likely to be full-time and would limit exploring potential.
I’m an assistant manager at a Lush store in the NW of Calgary and in October we’re coming to the end of our Christmas recruitment but I know the majority of other stores are just beginning. They ALL have signs up in the windows.
Whitehorse is cool- it’s a really artsy town (I say town because it’s smaaall) it definitely feels like a town.
I spend a fair bit of time up there- the Yukon has a tiny population and the majority of the jobs are within the trades- to keep the province ticking over. Within Whitehorse, again you’d probably be looking at retail/hospitality with it being for short term stuff.
There’s a fairly young population in Whitehorse so may be a lot of competition for even part time/casual jobs. I don’t actually recall having seen any hiring signs up out of all the times I’ve been there.
Yukon is definitely worth a visit though. - you’re going to need a car.
Good luck!
Old Jun 4th 2018, 11:11 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe also bear in mind that if you do end up in catering or food service - you do need a qualification, but that this is a one day course, and any newcomers/multi cultural association will arrange for you to do it free in a heartbeat. Have lots of fun and enjoy
Old Jun 4th 2018, 11:11 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe also bear in mind that if you do end up in catering or food service - you do need a qualification, but that this is a one day course, and any newcomers/multi cultural association will arrange for you to do it free in a heartbeat. Have lots of fun and enjoy
Old Jun 5th 2018, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

This may not be relevant to OP but bear in mind that if you find you want to stay and transition into PR at the end of the working holiday visa you may need the Canadian work experience points which will require a skilled role for a minimum of 1 year full time equivalent.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 3:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF

Probably not as a temporary worker who has no status as a resident .. but it's not expensive to do (and some you can do online and print your certificate, so you are ready to go) ... you will also need certification to work in a bar serving.

BC:

FOODSAFE
https://www.servingitright.com/

Alberta:

ProServe Liquor Staff Training - Home
https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/eph/page3151.aspx

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 5th 2018 at 3:26 pm.