Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Working as a hairdresser in canada

Working as a hairdresser in canada

Old Feb 11th 2012, 1:33 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working as a hairdresser in canada

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
No. Most downtown Van hairdressers, including T & G, employ people that have gone thru AXIS training. So no fantastic T & G 's here - although the manager is my personal hairstylist>

Toni and Guy are big in Uk but have made v little impact over here , they did have 2 salons in Van, now only one, Essensuals opened for a while and that shut. There is still the "London school of hairdressing and aesthetics".

I shopped around until I found my HD by word of mouth, I now have 2 who I alternate between, both work from home , de[pending on availability.
OK. I was talking about the UK. There is no T&G in Edmo, and I didn't know there were any in Canada before I looked at their website, although I also use a T&G in Vienna when I'm in Austria.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
If you can actually cut hair, PLEASE come to Edmonton Alberta. Five years here and I still haven't found anyone who can cut hair properly. My standards have fallen, so now I just count myself lucky if the cutter uses scissors, as opposed to a razor or electric clippers (that one was scary).
I know two good Brit hairdressers here. Both of them are members of the Brit Expats in Edmonton Facebook page. One works at Spasation on Calgary Trail, and one at an Aveda Salon in Leduc.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 2:34 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
I know two good Brit hairdressers here. Both of them are members of the Brit Expats in Edmonton Facebook page. One works at Spasation on Calgary Trail, and one at an Aveda Salon in Leduc.
Thanks, I might try the one on Calgary Trail.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

castra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nice

It took me a long time to find a barber in Canada who I considered semi competent. I'm no expert, but I would suspect cutting my hair isn't the biggest challenge - Two grade clipper on the sides & number three on top.

In spite of that, I received some seriously bad scalping's in the early days. They really were butchers. What pissed me off - They cut it how 'they thought' it should be cut, not how I asked.

The first woman who cut my hair was so busy yapping to her colleague, she slipped with the razor. - "Oh sorry about that, it'll grow back in a few days"!! Totally unfazed by her screwup!

I never returned there again........
Old Feb 11th 2012, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by castra
It took me a long time to find a barber in Canada who I considered semi competent. I'm no expert, but I would suspect cutting my hair isn't the biggest challenge - Two grade clipper on the sides & number three on top.

In spite of that, I received some seriously bad scalping's in the early days. They really were butchers. What pissed me off - They cut it how 'they thought' it should be cut, not how I asked.

The first woman who cut my hair was so busy yapping to her colleague, she slipped with the razor. - "Oh sorry about that, it'll grow back in a few days"!! Totally unfazed by her screwup!

I never returned there again........

Maybe I should set up as a hairdresser. I do my hubbys hair same as yours with clippers - 2 on the sides and 3 on top and I do my son's - no 6 all over.

I used to spend £9.50 getting my little lad's hair cut and then realised that all they were doing was cutting it the same length with their fingers and short so got some clippers...

It always comes out top notch. They both always look "tidy"
Old Feb 11th 2012, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

canbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hairdresser
Hiya, I am 23 year old hairdresser. I am currently living in portugal. I trained in the uk and have my NVQ 1 and 2. I have been in the industry for the last 7 years. I have been doing alot of research on canada and decided that vancouver is the place i would like to be. I am planning to get a working holiday visa for 1 year to see what it is like, as i havent been to canada before. My boyfriend would also be coming he is a barman. I would be grateful if anyone could provide me and info on the following:
-Applying for the Working holiday visa.
-would i stand a chance at getting a skilled visa if i decided to stay.
-how to get the red seal for my nvq qualifications/ is it expensive/ how long does it take.
- what is it like working as a hairdresser in vancouver.

etc. thanks
If you can prove your qualifications and better still have letters from old employers, you would just have to take the written exam part, which was, for me$100. they give you 3 tries before you have to retake the whole exam.
good luck.
Ive been a hairdresser here and in England for many years, not that much difference. Good and bad in both countries. Go with recommendations people, and yes, I have room.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 1:30 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hairdresser
Hiya, I am 23 year old hairdresser. I am currently living in portugal. I trained in the uk and have my NVQ 1 and 2. I have been in the industry for the last 7 years. I have been doing alot of research on canada and decided that vancouver is the place i would like to be. I am planning to get a working holiday visa for 1 year to see what it is like, as i havent been to canada before. My boyfriend would also be coming he is a barman. I would be grateful if anyone could provide me and info on the following:
-Applying for the Working holiday visa.
-would i stand a chance at getting a skilled visa if i decided to stay.
-how to get the red seal for my nvq qualifications/ is it expensive/ how long does it take.
- what is it like working as a hairdresser in vancouver.

etc. thanks

I know a couple of them and they work really hard. They said by the end of the week they're completely lacquered.

Old Apr 19th 2012, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

hairdresser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM

Hi i have recently researched this... unfortunatly it is the case. Our plan now is to go back to the uk for 8 months to earn some more money. After that go to canada and try to get a temp work permit. Then if we like it we can look into getting a permanent one.

1. Assuming you are a UK citizen, you know that if you have been outside the UK for 18 months in the past 3 years, you are not eligible for an IEC (working holiday visa)?
thanks for your reply
Old Apr 19th 2012, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

hairdresser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowcandy
Please come to Alberta!

Prices are cheaper here than in the UK, paying about $50 for a ladies cut and blow dry, in the UK was paying 50 quid. Colour prices are about the same. But I can't find a hairdresser I really like and trust to cut my hair

Hairdressers are all a bit too scissor happy for my liking and I'm leaving ages between cuts now, where I used to go every 6 weeks. I have even resorted to trimming my FRINGE myself because they just can't cut my FRINGE how I want it.

Some of the stylists at my local salon are a bit scary looking too

Going to the hairdressers used to be a relaxing and pleasant experience and you would come out feeling good...it's now rather like a trip to the dentist only cheaper
Oh no thats a shame... well i hope to be out there soon!