Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Working as an Electrician in Ontario

Working as an Electrician in Ontario

Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Walsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant future
Default Working as an Electrician in Ontario

Hi Guys,

As our time approaches to head to Canada, my husband has started to look at positions available to him. He has 22 years service with the Irish Navy as an electrician and would be classified in Canadian terms as a marine electrician, though he has experience and qualifications in both industrial and construction & maintenance as well.

On the Ontario immigration website, it states that the Certificate of Qualification for Industrial Electricians is voluntary, but for the construction and maintenance electricians, it's compulsory. He thinks the best idea is to try and get certified for one or both, he has a lot of documentation pulled together to prove his qualifications, apprenticeship, experience etc.

But it would be great to hear if someone else has gone through the process, what the exam is like, what does he need to study and where could he get his hands on specific books to study before we leave? Since he will only be working in Ontario, he's not going to do the Red Seal, this seems like a more straightforward option but any help at all would be fantastic.

Thanks as always,

Moira.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working as an Electrician in Ontario

Originally Posted by Walsh Clan
Hi Guys,

As our time approaches to head to Canada, my husband has started to look at positions available to him. He has 22 years service with the Irish Navy as an electrician and would be classified in Canadian terms as a marine electrician, though he has experience and qualifications in both industrial and construction & maintenance as well.

On the Ontario immigration website, it states that the Certificate of Qualification for Industrial Electricians is voluntary, but for the construction and maintenance electricians, it's compulsory. He thinks the best idea is to try and get certified for one or both, he has a lot of documentation pulled together to prove his qualifications, apprenticeship, experience etc.

But it would be great to hear if someone else has gone through the process, what the exam is like, what does he need to study and where could he get his hands on specific books to study before we leave? Since he will only be working in Ontario, he's not going to do the Red Seal, this seems like a more straightforward option but any help at all would be fantastic.

Thanks as always,

Moira.
Contact these people
http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/documen...ion/trades.pdf
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Walsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fledermaus

Thanks Fledermaus, he left a message for an officer already today, so we are on the right track!
Old Apr 26th 2011, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

Hi my advice would be to get the canadian thing as it will be so much easier to get a job, i'm a gas fitter by trade and have done it for 11 years but i can't work till i get this qulifaction which is not too bad for me as i live with a canadian women

i talked to a few companys and there told me once i get the canadian stuff i can have a job as british are trained to a high standard
Old Apr 27th 2011, 1:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hutchy100
Hi my advice would be to get the canadian thing as it will be so much easier to get a job, i'm a gas fitter by trade and have done it for 11 years but i can't work till i get this qulifaction which is not too bad for me as i live with a canadian women

i talked to a few companys and there told me once i get the canadian stuff i can have a job as british are trained to a high standard
MOH has Ontarian Gas Tech 2 and Oil Burner 2. There is no red seal for either occupation. So what do you mean by the "Canadian thing"? where are you studying? Which province, not all provinces have licensing for gas and oil techs and only a very few are interchangeable.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Got in touch with the office and they sent us information via email but we need to get our hands on a workbook for this exam, wondering if anyone would possibly have one? Will pay for postage/book/etc. Have asked the office to post but I'm not sure they're happy to do so.

Would be great to have this information especially now he has time on his hands.

Thanks so much.

Moira.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

LondonderryMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Working as an Electrician in Ontario

Moira,

Apologies, I have no input into your situation. I just noticed you are Barrie bound, and wanted to say I think you are heading to a beautiful part of Canada. Spent some time there last summer, but predominantly stayed in Newmarket. Good choice All the best for your move!!
Old Apr 27th 2011, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LondonderryMan
Moira,

Apologies, I have no input into your situation. I just noticed you are Barrie bound, and wanted to say I think you are heading to a beautiful part of Canada. Spent some time there last summer, but predominantly stayed in Newmarket. Good choice All the best for your move!!
Thanks LD man! I'm really looking forward to it, not long now:-)

Moira.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

big ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nice

My son took the exam 10 yrs ago and apart from the different terminology he said it was a peice of cake,anyone with a U/K electrical qualifications would p--s it.He started work within two days of arriving all be it on a lower wage to start with.He did spend a lot of time with code books etc.also a big thing in Canada at the moment is sustainable energy so he has just complete a evening course on solar panel installation.Hope this puts your mind at rest a little bit.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fledermaus
MOH has Ontarian Gas Tech 2 and Oil Burner 2. There is no red seal for either occupation. So what do you mean by the "Canadian thing"? where are you studying? Which province, not all provinces have licensing for gas and oil techs and only a very few are interchangeable.
I'm in BC and i got to go to kamploos to do a 6 week course and what i meant by the canadian thing is that your best having the qulifaction to start with before you come as it's easyier to find work

I'm looking to work to Ontarian in next 2 years what's it like for gas fitting work out there?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hutchy100
I'm in BC and i got to go to kamploos to do a 6 week course and what i meant by the canadian thing is that your best having the qulifaction to start with before you come as it's easyier to find work

I'm looking to work to Ontarian in next 2 years what's it like for gas fitting work out there?
Slow, very slow around here. MOH took intensive courses for gas and oil 3 and 2 which took him a year. HE was CORGI registered previously and was given permission by the TSSA to challenge gas 2 exams but there was no way of studying without going back to college. The instructor said it's very rare for anyone to pass the TSSA exam without having studied in Ontario.

Anyway, there's no work around within driving distance of where we live.

I believe you will have to register with the TSSA here after challenging the exam.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by big ron
My son took the exam 10 yrs ago and apart from the different terminology he said it was a peice of cake,anyone with a U/K electrical qualifications would p--s it.He started work within two days of arriving all be it on a lower wage to start with.He did spend a lot of time with code books etc.also a big thing in Canada at the moment is sustainable energy so he has just complete a evening course on solar panel installation.Hope this puts your mind at rest a little bit.
Ron, it does, thanks a lot!
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well after many phone calls, emails, more phone calls and questions galore this evening, I managed to track down the workbook and the sample questions for the Certificate of Qualification examination for Industrial Electricians, and they were available as pdfs, so I purchased and he's already startied studying!

Thanks everyone!
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

jerseytocanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there.

Do you have any links to the info you have found?

I'm looking at working as an Electrician in Ontario too. Just not getting my hopes up yet as not even 'in process' yet.

Mike
Old May 2nd 2011, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jerseytocanada
Hi there.

Do you have any links to the info you have found?

I'm looking at working as an Electrician in Ontario too. Just not getting my hopes up yet as not even 'in process' yet.

Mike
Sure Mike,

The link above that fledermaus gave is the right one to check up relevant info and the following link is the one to purchase the handbook and questions:-

http://www.orderline.com/detail.asp?group=23424

Hope this helps,

Moira.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.