Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Working abroad canada expo manchester 29th - 30th

Working abroad canada expo manchester 29th - 30th

Old Mar 22nd 2014, 8:52 am
Just Joined

emmabarnett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working abroad canada expo manchester 29th - 30th

Hi has anyone ever been to the working abroad canada expo in manchester? My husband is an industrial electrician and there are employers going that have numerous positions available. Has anyone ever been to the manchester one and had a job offer? They are going to Dublin and cork first so I hope they don't give out all the jobs before they get to manchester as I have heard that the Irish expos get very busy!
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 9:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working abroad canada expo manchester 29th - 30th

You might want to do a search on here for what's been said about the Expos - waste of time is the general consensus.

Which employers are going and where are the 'numerous positions available for'? They're usually only for Oz or NZ, hence the question.

Last two Expos I worked at had only 2 stands for Canada, and both were immigration consultants, no employers at all.

Basically, if you live really close and can get a free ticket, then it's worth popping in on the off chance, otherwise don't bother.

HTH.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I've just looked at the website, and can't see a single Canadian employer on the list of attendees? Or are you aiming for Oz/NZ? In which case, I'll move this thread.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:38 am
Just Joined

It's the working abroad one. You must not be looking at the same one as me. There are 3 employers going looking for electricians and there is also a job list!
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:39 am
Just Joined

And they are all based in canada
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by emmabarnett
And they are all based in canada
Ah yes, I was looking at the Working In Expo!

Still unlikely to result in a job IMO, unless he's ready to start work ASAP? If they do have jobs available, then they'll usually be looking for those who are already work authorised and have their Red Seal. If he doesn't, then usually they'll just say 'contact us when you are ready'. Ignore the job list, as it usually bears little resemblance to what's actually available.

If he's going to Canada to sit the Red Seal, then he might as well just job hunt whilst there as that's far more likely to result in a job offer.

My original opinion still stands, that if you're in Manchester and can get a free ticket then it's worth a trip, otherwise don't bother. I've worked at too many of these things over the years and seen that the only thing they usually result in is disappointed attendees demanding their money back!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 22nd 2014 at 10:49 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 3:54 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah yes, I was looking at the Working In Expo!

Still unlikely to result in a job IMO, unless he's ready to start work ASAP? If they do have jobs available, then they'll usually be looking for those who are already work authorised and have their Red Seal. If he doesn't, then usually they'll just say 'contact us when you are ready'. Ignore the job list, as it usually bears little resemblance to what's actually available.

If he's going to Canada to sit the Red Seal, then he might as well just job hunt whilst there as that's far more likely to result in a job offer.

My original opinion still stands, that if you're in Manchester and can get a free ticket then it's worth a trip, otherwise don't bother. I've worked at too many of these things over the years and seen that the only thing they usually result in is disappointed attendees demanding their money back!
Christmasoompa knows of what she speaks. Save your money for a trip over here. It'll accomplish a whole heap more.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Nymeria is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn, me and my friend are going to the one in Manchester next weekend. We got our tickets for free and are getting a lift up there so it's not costing us anything.

Waste of time for us as we are going on an IEC visa? Or is it worth a look as we got the tickets for free anyway?
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 6:14 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nymeria
Damn, me and my friend are going to the one in Manchester next weekend. We got our tickets for free and are getting a lift up there so it's not costing us anything.

Waste of time for us as we are going on an IEC visa? Or is it worth a look as we got the tickets for free anyway?
It's a day out!
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 6:23 pm
Gained PR July 2014

lindamchugh is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to disagree I am afraid my hubby got 2 job offers through the Canadian expo in Toronto albeit he eventually took a job with someone I found on the job bank website my advice is go , nothing to lose and I would recommend the job bank website always tons looking for electricians but you will most likely need to be very flexible with location. Good luck!
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 8:27 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindamchugh
Have to disagree I am afraid my hubby got 2 job offers through the Canadian expo in Toronto albeit he eventually took a job with someone I found on the job bank website my advice is go , nothing to lose and I would recommend the job bank website always tons looking for electricians but you will most likely need to be very flexible with location. Good luck!

the expo in question is in the UK not Canada. They are notorious for not having much Canadian content, whereas you'd expect one based in Toronto Ontario to be more Canadian in content.

I'm not really sure you can make a comparison.

Edit : unless you meant that your husband got a job in Toronto. Punctuation might really help make your point a little clearer.

Last edited by Zoe Bell; Mar 23rd 2014 at 8:39 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

yogiBC is an unknown quantity at this point

Uk qualifications don't mean anything in Canada..
your husband will have to go back to school and gain his tickets again.
Especially in the electrical field its not like the UK at all ,,,different code and lots of different voltages.
I am in the construction industry myself and know a few English guys already here.
They struggle to find full time work with a half decent company.
Make sure you do your research.
Also on the show front there usually pretty crappy.
most of the stands are usually trying to offer a service like shipping ,,dealing with your money,,housing ,,immigration ,,etc
Old Apr 1st 2014, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

yogi is right. These shows are titilators really for people flirting with the idea and usually at the very start of the process. The wiki on here is quite good, you can buy a book on amazon which helps you with the entire process understanding and the main focus is getting a decent job for whcih you need to be prepared with the right certificates - find out the cost and what is involved for these as an opener. My wife had to fly to Vancouver to sit an exam twice (we tied in with holidays/visits) and we made the move a year later.