Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Work requirements - Special Needs care

Work requirements - Special Needs care

Old May 9th 2009, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of
Default Work requirements - Special Needs care

Hello again, folks.
I qualified to apply for PR on the basis largely of my work experience, working as a UK Civil Servant for 5 years. It's a job I never really liked, and vowed - after I left - that I'd never do it, or any other form of desk job, again. For the last 4 years, I've worked as a Support Worker for adults with special needs - and I absolutely love it. It's my vocation. I'd like to continue with this sort of work in Canada, if I succeed in getting there. Thing is... in the UK, you can walk into a job like this after having CRB, POVA and POCA checks done; you don't actually need qualifications... not even an NVQ. I was just wondering, though, how it works in Canada. I've been told it's the kind of job where you would definitely need some sort of qualification - apart from work experience - before you can start. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this, please?
Many thanks.
Old May 10th 2009, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Work requirements - Special Needs care

....and just another thought: Special Needs Care work is what I've done for the last 4 years - which is the length of time the CHC wants work references for now that my application is up for review. I qualified, though, on my civil service experience. Does anyone think it's likely to matter that my work references WON'T be related to my qualifying work experience? Thanks again.
Old May 10th 2009, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of

Hi
Not sure about working with adults with special needs, but I work with pre-school children who have special needs. I was employed by an agency that matches you with children who have received government funding for support with their early development in a specific area (eg. autism, speech and language, motor control difficulties etc). I replied to an advertisement in the local paper and was given an interview the following day!

I have a degree in education and 14 years experience as a primary school teacher, so they saw me as being fairly well qualified I suppose! All they asked for from what I can recall was an interest and experience with children with special needs, including dealing with agencies and professionals such as speech pathologists, educational psychologists etc.

There have been advertisements for careworkers for adults with specific needs in the local paper too, some involving respite care work in their homes, or day to day care and help, or 'live-in' positions for those adults who need round the clock care. I'm not sure if this is totally what you would want, but might be a 'way in' to the job market here. Alternatively, google special education in the province where you want to settle and see what comes up. I think as you already have experience, you would probably find that you were qualified for some sort of SNA role, just really push your experience and knowledge in your resume and covering letter.
Old May 10th 2009, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, Snoopster. Very useful information. I'll take a look.
Old May 10th 2009, 10:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

purple80 can give you chapter and verse on working with disabled people in Ontario. In short I believe you need lots of qualifications and you can only get them in Canada. I don't see how you're going to qualify to immigrate, is there some influencing factor besides your work?
Old May 11th 2009, 3:59 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
purple80 can give you chapter and verse on working with disabled people in Ontario. In short I believe you need lots of qualifications and you can only get them in Canada. I don't see how you're going to qualify to immigrate, is there some influencing factor besides your work?

In the UK I had 5 years experience as a Senior Support worker, I was in charge of a unit that housed 16 young adults with autistic spectrum disorder. I had NVQ's galore, I was qualified to dispense medication, (including rescue meds for life threatening epilepsy.) I was a trained first aider and was also qualified to use restraint procedures. I also had a lot of in house training certificates.

That means nothing here in Ontario........

This link will take you to the Humber College page for PSW (this is the course I intend to do.)

http://postsecondary.humber.ca/07741.htm

I could go to College now but I would have to pay international student fees which will set us back an extra $8,000. I have brought all of my course work with me and I may be able to have this assessed and recieve some course credits for this.

There are different rules outside Ontario.

Old May 12th 2009, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
A big influencing factor was my degree. Also, the application was based on my work experience for the previous 10 years, which included 5 years as a civil servant in HM Courts' Service. I needed to score 67 points to qualify to apply, and I scored 69.
Old May 12th 2009, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by purple80

In the UK I had 5 years experience as a Senior Support worker, I was in charge of a unit that housed 16 young adults with autistic spectrum disorder. I had NVQ's galore, I was qualified to dispense medication, (including rescue meds for life threatening epilepsy.) I was a trained first aider and was also qualified to use restraint procedures. I also had a lot of in house training certificates.

That means nothing here in Ontario........

This link will take you to the Humber College page for PSW (this is the course I intend to do.)

http://postsecondary.humber.ca/07741.htm

I could go to College now but I would have to pay international student fees which will set us back an extra $8,000. I have brought all of my course work with me and I may be able to have this assessed and recieve some course credits for this.

There are different rules outside Ontario.

Thanks for the info, purple80 - it's as I expected, really. I'm looking at Saskatchewan, though, so will check out further the requirements for there.