Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

work for qualified childminders in Canada?

Wikiposts

work for qualified childminders in Canada?

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:43 am
Just Joined

aroncai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work for qualified childminders in Canada?

My Wife is a registered British NCMA Childminder. Are there many work opportunities in this area in the higher populated areas ? Or would owning and running a Nursery be a better option. Any advice welcome

Aroncai
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:19 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work for qualified childminders in Canada?

There is plenty of work for child minders. Your wife would have the option of working for a day care centre or opening her own day home. Running her own business probably would tie her down a lot, but I imagine it would be more profitable than working for a day care centre.

I gathered from some of your other posts that you were interested in fishing, and I got the impression that you might be heading for the BC coast, although I may be wrong about that.

Canada has six time zones. Many aspects of life are regulated by provincial governments, and some of them are regulated by municipal governments. When you ask a question, it helps if you tell us which part of Canada you're going to (if you know that yet).

When I did a Google search for child care in Vancouver, I found that a couple of the terms were different from the ones we use in Calgary, and we (Alberta) are just one province over from BC. I found that what we call a day home in Calgary is called family child care in Vancouver. I found that what we call a day care centre in Calgary is group day care in Vancouver.

Anyway, the Child Care section of the Vancouver Coastal Health website has lots of information about the topic. It provides info such as:
There are links to articles on many other relevant topics.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you need an ECE in order to get a childcare license?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:39 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Don't you need an ECE in order to get a childcare license?
You need to remember that there are some provinces that are less fastidious than Ontario.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
You need to remember that there are some provinces that are less fastidious than Ontario.
Granted but I thought BC was one of the few places on the planet with more administrivia than here.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:28 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by dbd33
Granted but I thought BC was one of the few places on the planet with more administrivia than here.
Ah, yes. Indeed. But a reading of the Child Care Licensing Regulation of BC seems to suggest that the director of a care facility can grant an early childhood educator certificate to a person if the director has satisfied him/herself that that person has the equivalent credentials.

At least that is my reading of the text. I don't work in that field, and I'm not qualified in that field, so anyone reading my post should do independent research.

The qualification for operating a family day home (caring for no more than seven children in one's own home) seems to be that one must be a responsible adult (19 years or older).

Again, that is my reading of the Regulation, and I don't pretend to be giving legal advice.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:45 am
Just Joined

aroncai is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
There is plenty of work for child minders. Your wife would have the option of working for a day care centre or opening her own day home. Running her own business probably would tie her down a lot, but I imagine it would be more profitable than working for a day care centre.

I gathered from some of your other posts that you were interested in fishing, and I got the impression that you might be heading for the BC coast, although I may be wrong about that.

Canada has six time zones. Many aspects of life are regulated by provincial governments, and some of them are regulated by municipal governments. When you ask a question, it helps if you tell us which part of Canada you're going to (if you know that yet).

When I did a Google search for child care in Vancouver, I found that a couple of the terms were different from the ones we use in Calgary, and we (Alberta) are just one province over from BC. I found that what we call a day home in Calgary is called family child care in Vancouver. I found that what we call a day care centre in Calgary is group day care in Vancouver.

Anyway, the Child Care section of the Vancouver Coastal Health website has lots of information about the topic. It provides info such as:
There are links to articles on many other relevant topics.

Hope that helps.
Judy,
thanks for the info and replying. We have been given a file number for our application back in july of last year so we have quite some time until we have the green light. As to the location - this would be dictated by the job situation. I am a process engineer in cable making industry, i assume that Ontario would be the most likely zone for this type of employment. Having read much about others difficulty in obtaining decent/similar employment i was trying to determine my Wifes employment prospects. Possibly I would be less of an employment prospect. I have at least 4 years within which to change careers or enhance my qualifications within the same area but possibly via distance learning (Canadian degree)?

Would love to live in BC but would think i would require a different occupation.

Just tring to find what could be the best employment combination between us in order to maintain a sensible financial situation.

I do appreciate that different areas will offer different opportunities.

Thanks again - Good to know that Childminding is thriving in Canada.

My wife has undergone the full National Childminder Association course , inc exam, Police checks, etc.

Aroncai
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:49 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by aroncai
thanks for the info and replying
I've shared more thoughts in your thread entitled A few questions.

Oh yes, I forgot to say in that other thread, I also recommend that you read the Wiki called Tips on using the forum.