Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Work Permit" on Resume, is it a turn off to prospective employers?

View Poll Results: Does having PR make a difference with job offers?
Yes
57.14%
No
28.57%
I have no idea
14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

"Work Permit" on Resume, is it a turn off to prospective employers?

Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Work Permit" on Resume, is it a turn off to prospective employers?

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You really have to wonder about organizations and how well they operate.

I volunteered to work for the Red Cross a long time ago. They called and I went through their volunteer training program then never heard another word from them.

They seemed happy with me throughout the training. I don't think I said anything to put them off.
I've reminded them a few times too, perhaps they don't want trouble makers such as us?
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:09 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I've reminded them a few times too, perhaps they don't want trouble makers such as us?
I can't imagine why that might be.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I can't imagine why that might be.
we is assets, big assets
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I wouldn't say anything about what permit you have. I'd just say you can legally work in Canada if they ask. Otherwise, don't put anything on your resume. I've never had to prove I am a PR.

re: admin, I found it hard to break back in and ended up going to a temping agency. That's probably your best bet to getting your foot back in the door and getting that 'canadian experience' in admin, because they don't tend to be looking for the perfect person for a temporary role.

+ 1 in all respects.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 2:43 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000
I've been searching long and hard to find an Assistant Admin role for myself.

All my background in England was admin, when I came to Edmonton, Alberta. I stupidly thought going into retail would gain me new friends.

So most of my "Canadian" experience is in retail, which I hate. I have to work weekends and evenings which is not good. We (my husband and I) made the move for quality of life and all I seem to do is work when he is off Don't even get me started on holidays, I don't think my boss whats me to have any

I am as I said now on the look out for an admin role, I must admit it's hard!

I send in my resumes left right and centre and it's starting to depress me a little.

Is gaining your PR status any help or not?

I am starting to become very depressed about it all and to be honest I could do with a hug from my mum right now to make me feel better

I know it takes time to find a job, it's staying strong and being positive that i'm finding increasingly hard right now to do.
I gave up trying to find an admin job myself, that's why I'm also stuck in retail, I even had a admin job in retail to try to get a proper admin job to no avail. I've stopped looking admin now, trying to figure out a new career path, not quite decided which way to go, I just know I can't work retail until I retire. I am lucky though as I only work part time and only daytime weekdays - each successive manager (4 in 2.5 years) have been told a story (by me) that I only do weekdays and no stats I couldn't do full time retail, you'd find me hanging from the lampost