Work Permit to PR

Wikiposts

Work Permit to PR

Old May 31st 2007, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

toyer1 is on a distinguished road
Default Work Permit to PR

Hi all,

Just a quick question. I am currently in Canada on a WP. We managed to secure a positive AEO with the help of my employer. Passports have been sent off, so just waiting for the PR card and passports to return from London. My question is this: Do we have to leave Canada and then come back over the border to become Permanent residents? or are they just sent in the post?

Thanks in advance
Old May 31st 2007, 3:43 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Permit to PR

Originally Posted by toyer1
Hi all,

Just a quick question. I am currently in Canada on a WP. We managed to secure a positive AEO with the help of my employer. Passports have been sent off, so just waiting for the PR card and passports to return from London. My question is this: Do we have to leave Canada and then come back over the border to become Permanent residents? or are they just sent in the post?

Thanks in advance
You don't get a PR card back with passport, you just get a PR visa. To activate this you'll need to leave Canada and re-enter. PR card will then be sent to you 4-6 weeks later.
Old May 31st 2007, 4:20 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all,

Thanks in advance
Its simple, but farsical.
We drove down to the border, asking U.S. border control to deny us entry, they generate a form and send you back to the Canadian side, then the landing process can begin.

....very nice feeling once complete.

Darren
Old May 31st 2007, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Its simple, but farsical.
We drove down to the border, asking U.S. border control to deny us entry, they generate a form and send you back to the Canadian side, then the landing process can begin.

....very nice feeling once complete.

Darren
why not enter properly? Denial would go on your record permanently??
Old May 31st 2007, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rob_999
You don't get a PR card back with passport, you just get a PR visa. To activate this you'll need to leave Canada and re-enter. PR card will then be sent to you 4-6 weeks later.
Thanks for the replies. I thought I'd read that you had to leave and re enter Canada. Were in Calgary so the border is only approx 3 hours away, so it looks like we are visditing the US.

Again thanks for clearing that up.
Old May 31st 2007, 6:40 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by neill
why not enter properly? Denial would go on your record permanently??
You misunderstand, If you have a work permit, you are probably already living in Canada, therefore the landing procedure demands that you have to 'land', hence leaving the country for a couple of minutes.

Darren
Old May 31st 2007, 6:40 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

When ours comes through we are either flying to Boston or down to Toronto as we have friends in Stoney Creek. Will cross then at Niagara if we go with the second option.

We do actually have a 3rd option which is to go back to the UK as we already have return AC flights. We would have to purchase flights from UK to NS though. Feels too soon to go back to UK. Plenty of other places to visit first.
Old May 31st 2007, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

You misunderstand, If you have a work permit, you are probably already living in Canada, therefore the landing procedure demands that you have to 'land', hence leaving the country for a couple of minutes.

Darren
Yeh, I probably didn't say it correctly, but yes I now realise that I will have to leave then come back into Canada again.
Old May 31st 2007, 6:54 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Darren
think he means why not enter the US properly?
Old May 31st 2007, 7:07 am
Journeyman Canadian

Ok, after explaining why you wish to be denied entry, to the US border control, it is simply procedural and generates said form to start your landing process when back in Canada. The border control people do this all the time on both sides.
I dont believe it is detrimental in any way to future visits to the US.

Darren
Old May 31st 2007, 7:18 am
Journeyman Canadian

Yeh, I probably didn't say it correctly, but yes I now realise that I will have to leave then come back into Canada again.
Hi
I was replying to Neill, you explained it just fine! Dont worry, when your PR details to come through, the procedure will be explained very clearly and all border controllers know it inside out.

D
Old May 31st 2007, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that's what i meant....

I guess if it doesn't affect future visits to the US it's fine!

I went "skiing for the day" when i immigrated....
Old May 31st 2007, 9:38 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We drove down to Montanna at easter to do the 'landing' thing and made a long weekend of it, did some Crowsnest pass and crossed at rooseville, drove down to kalispell and round to Great Falls and back upto Sweetgrass to cross. Sweetgrass is open 24hrs so we thought we would have less problems there - it was a breeze, we had all document with us just in case and they didn't ask for a single one. We were asked if we had just 'gone around' so we explained we had made a long weekend of it, they seemed to appreciate that.