Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Work permit location - problem getting OHIP

Work permit location - problem getting OHIP

Old Oct 16th 2018, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

abhi_canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fourspoon
Hi, I'd be happy to help I know what a stressful situation this is. PM your email address and I will send you the appeal letter I wrote to the OHIP committee.
Have you officially been refused on your initial application yet?
The worst part is the waiting. 17 weeks just for a response in my case. I did manage to find an email address and a phone number eventually where you can chase but they won't tell you much, other than confirm your case is in the queue. Make sure you keep receipts for any healthcare expenses in the interim.

I also looked at the Ontario office option, this was going to be my fall back position if the appeal was not successful. Unfortunately though this would mean you have to reapply for your work permit, which is also a long and slow process. In my case this was harder as the company was going to have to register a shell company in Ontario to facilitate this, which they were willing to do, but thankfully it didn't come to that.

Unrelated to OHIP and this may or may not be an issue for you but you can also expect a lot of scrutiny at land border crossings,when returning to Canada. I stopped going over the border to the US because of it. Sometimes they were ok after a short explanation but many times I got sent to 'secondary' processing and grilled about why I was in Ontario. At airports they never even mention it.
Thanks again for your quick and detailed response.. believe I can say, am not officially refused...they simply did not accept the application form at the counter, did not register the application....supervisor was nice enough to hear me and suggested to appeal with proofs of employment and residence in ontario ..if I do not want to go via WP amendment route.......Supervisor also mentioned to me that appealing is not a very long process and is usually completed in days and weeks time .....and does not take months...but I see your example as well which is close to my scenario...

Originally Posted by abhi_canada
Thanks again for your quick and detailed response.. believe I can say, am not officially refused...they simply did not accept the application form at the counter, did not register the application....supervisor was nice enough to hear me and suggested to appeal with proofs of employment and residence in ontario ..if I do not want to go via WP amendment route.......Supervisor also mentioned to me that appealing is not a very long process and is usually completed in days and weeks time .....and does not take months...but I see your example as well which is close to my scenario...
I will PM you my email, if you can share more details ..that will be of great help...Thanks!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 17th 2018 at 3:26 pm. Reason: Posts merged - please don't post just to access PM's, and please don't ask other forum members to contact you outside the forum
Old Oct 16th 2018, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

fourspoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work permit location - problem getting OHIP

Originally Posted by abhi_canada
Yeah, the Service Ontario office told me that as well, maybe it was like that 10 years ago, but not today. I think the truth is, they have no idea how long it takes because its very rare that an appeal is successful, so they probably never see anyone coming back in! I know this because when I went back in to the same office to reapply after getting the letter of acceptance from the OHIP review committee, the Service Ontario staff were literally crowding round to see it and they had to double check with the OHIP office to verify it was real!!

Do you have a notice of assessment with the 'not eligible' box ticked? If not, I'm not sure you'll be able to apply to the review committee because at this point there is no decision to overturn. You might have to be officially refused before you can dispute it. I may be wrong and you might be able to apply to the review committee directly.

If I were in your position, I would definately pursue both routes at the same time. If for some reason your second WP application is refused, the first one will still be valid and your OHIP appeal can continue. If your OHIP appeal is successful then you can just pull your WP application. Although, after my expereince I would say you are better off with a WP that says Ontario on it anyway so would probably continue with that anyway.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit location - problem getting OHIP

Originally Posted by fourspoon
Yeah I knew there was a 90 day wait period, that's why I hadn't gone in before now...

My company can't change the work permit and that's all ServiceOntario seem to care about. My company benefits are all in addition to the provincial coverage so not all that useful to me right now.
MY wife got a hard time as well - she just went into the queue of another worker who said everything was OK. It's crap that different workers try different interpretations of the situation.
Hope it all gets sorted.

Last edited by rawsalad; Oct 17th 2018 at 11:30 am.