Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Work/life balance with only two weeks holiday

Work/life balance with only two weeks holiday

Old Apr 27th 2018, 8:38 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work/life balance with only two weeks holiday

Originally Posted by dbd33
My daughter claims that too. She leaves for work with the children still asleep (the nanny gets them up) and returns in time to have a couple of hours alone with them before putting them to bed. Her husband leaves for work before her and returns after the children have gone to bed. On weekends they often all have a day together to go to the beach or whatever.

This is approximately how we lived when the children were small and is, I suggest, more typical of life in Canada than the jolly families yacht racing after work and heli-skiing on the weekends.
Your daughters routine is surely reflective of life in a big city with a commute anywhere than Canada specific? My colleagues in London have the same sort of experience. Some nights they just never see their kids awake. If one wants to get away from that then it's about seeking more flexible working arrangements irrespective of where you live. Some unique circumstances have led me to be in that position in Canada & with my current employer. Working from home, flexibly can be the answer. Not everyone will have that opportunity and I guess arguably the new immigrant to Canada might find it harder to achieve as they might be more junior/newer/have to work harder to earn the right/privilege.

The Mrs does yacht race after work on Wednesdays in the summer (crewing for her brother). We don't ski - heli or otherwise though. Our evenings seem to be taken up with routine of dance lessons, brownies and sparks. Friday night (when nothing is happening) comes as somewhat a relief.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 11:44 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter claims that too. She leaves for work with the children still asleep (the nanny gets them up) and returns in time to have a couple of hours alone with them before putting them to bed. Her husband leaves for work before her and returns after the children have gone to bed. On weekends they often all have a day together to go to the beach or whatever.

This is approximately how we lived when the children were small and is, I suggest, more typical of life in Canada than the jolly families yacht racing after work and heli-skiing on the weekends.
Quite. We are up at 5am. I start work shortly after that. She's out the door by 6.30 and rarely gets home before 5.30. I cannot remember the last time either of us hit the sack later than 9pm.

It's even harder now because of the insomniac puppy.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 11:57 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Quite. We are up at 5am. I start work shortly after that. She's out the door by 6.30 and rarely gets home before 5.30. I cannot remember the last time either of us hit the sack later than 9pm.

It's even harder now because of the insomniac puppy.
In a role that primarily interfaces with people in the UK, the extra one and a half hours I get from being in Newfoundland (GMT-3.5) as opposed to EST (GMT-5) is quite useful.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 12:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Your daughters routine is surely reflective of life in a big city with a commute anywhere than Canada specific?
She doesn't have much of a commute, it used to be half an hour (by bicycle) but a recent change of working location has cut it by about half. Otherwise, yes, it's the same as someone in another city, in Canada, in the US, in the UK. Fewer days off than in the UK coupled with a need to go home for domestic matters and the need to rack up them office hours so as to get established makes immigration a tough go.

The Mrs does yacht race after work on Wednesdays in the summer (crewing for her brother).
Wednesday was my race night too. Broke the week up nicely (in high summer, by October it all seemed a bit mad).

Something to consider is that companies try to shave something off the benefit package every year; no more defined benefit pensions, fewer paid sick days, elimination of vacation carry-over, more stringent conditions for paid overtime and so on. The number of vacation days has to be in the sights of HR departments across the country. In five years time we'll be hearing "you have two weeks? Is it grandfathered or what?". As you know, I'm a contractor, I've never had paid vacation or sick time in Canada. Companies increasingly want that arrangement with their "staff" and increasingly I think it's not a terrible option for the workers either.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 12:30 pm
Slightly Canadian

Wednesday was my race night too. Broke the week up nicely (in high summer, by October it all seemed a bit mad).

Something to consider is that companies try to shave something off the benefit package every year; no more defined benefit pensions, fewer paid sick days, elimination of vacation carry-over, more stringent conditions for paid overtime and so on. The number of vacation days has to be in the sights of HR departments across the country. In five years time we'll be hearing "you have two weeks? Is it grandfathered or what?". As you know, I'm a contractor, I've never had paid vacation or sick time in Canada. Companies increasingly want that arrangement with their "staff" and increasingly I think it's not a terrible option for the workers either.
I'm not sure there will be any racing this year. Brother in Law's partner is expecting twins right around the start of the racing seasons. I suspect the boat isn't going in the water at all this year!
Old Apr 27th 2018, 12:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure there will be any racing this year. Brother in Law's partner is expecting twins right around the start of the racing seasons. I suspect the boat isn't going in the water at all this year!
That's a shame but they'll be free to sail again in 25 years or so.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 12:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

That's a shame but they'll be free to sail again in 25 years or so.
So very very true.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 1:38 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I find it depends on the time of year -
Winter on weekdays, leave work at 4.30pm (ish) ,exercise the horse indoors and walk the dogs on a small walk (or none if icy), PJs by 7pm and netflix. So tired seemingly all the time.
Weekends - ride, walk dogs, chores. Netflix while it storms outside or snows or is just plain cold.

Summer - weekdays - leave work at 4.30pm, go for a ride outside, arrive home at 6.30ish, swim in the pool, bbq dinner, go for long dog walk at around 8.30pm, bed at 10ish. Watch minimal TV.
Summer weekends - ride early and walk dogs early, beach. Chores if I have to. Movies in the late evening.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
It's tough for sure. Plan fun stuff for your days off, that's what we try and do. I'm not saying that it happens though.,
I usually do something on 1 day off. Try to anyhow.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

ExpatSleeFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BlueScottyGirl
One thing that's concerning us about life in Canada is the two weeks holiday. Compared to other countries, Canada has a very low annual leave, 2 weeks being the norm, along with a small handful of public holidays. This leave appears to only be applied AFTER you have worked for a year.

My question is, how do people manage? Living in a beautiful country, how do you find time to explore, take up hobbies, visit your home country? Not to mention we're not getting any younger Canada comes out in polls as having a really good quality of life but nothing in the working side of that appears to benefit the average working person
I can tell you that being a Canadian and having lived in Canada for over 30 years you do not notice the short annual leave. You are right that 2 weeks is a typical offer from small private companies but other companies (especially public ones) will give 3 weeks and can always try negotiating an extra week based on your experience and seniority. Also, you should mention to your employer about the need to head back home for family visits and they will usually be able to offer an additional 2 weeks as unpaid.

Where Canadian companies lack in annual leave they can tend to make it up in other ways -- flex work weeks, teleworking, compressed work weeks, or share work accommodations. Don't forget about 1-year maternity leave (9 months can be shared with father). But still, I must say that the 2-week vacation is really short compared with other parts of the world. Europe really has an edge on North America and I hope that one day this improves.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 10:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by ExpatSleeFamily
I can tell you that being a Canadian and having lived in Canada for over 30 years you do not notice the short annual leave.
Being a Canadian you likely didn't notice that the weather is horrible and non-Canadians would want a break from it. You likely don't have family getting married and being dying in foreign countries. This is like a post from Ethiopia, "being an African and having lived ... you do not notice the hunger".
Old Apr 29th 2018, 11:24 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

52 weeks maternity leave isn't special. They get that in the UK, plus shared. They get more pay in the UK too.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 12:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Canada compared to its neighbor looks good.

Compare to other developed countries then Canada doesnt look so good.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 6:32 am
Just Joined

Being a Canadian you likely didn't notice that the weather is horrible and non-Canadians would want a break from it. You likely don't have family getting married and being dying in foreign countries. This is like a post from Ethiopia, "being an African and having lived ... you do not notice the hunger".
I'm sorry, my impression was that you have already accounted for the deep freeze. The weather is obviously cold in the winter. Calling the weather horrible is saddly an overstatement. If you don't want to live in Canada then go elsewhere. Fiji is quite attractive.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bats
52 weeks maternity leave isn't special. They get that in the UK, plus shared. They get more pay in the UK too.
Bats, in Switzerland you get 14 weeks and United States you are entitled to I believe 12 weeks unpaid leave. 52 weeks is a definite benefit. More pay in UK?? I would say that all depends on the position wouldn't you? I turned down an interview in London because it was quite low for the industry.

Last edited by ExpatSleeFamily; Apr 30th 2018 at 6:41 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.