Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Work/life balance with only two weeks holiday

Work/life balance with only two weeks holiday

Old Jun 15th 2018, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work/life balance with only two weeks holiday

Could not pay me enough to teach, well anyone under 18 anyhow. Children and far too annoying to deal with daily at a job.......No idea how anyone can do it.
Old Jun 16th 2018, 2:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Could not pay me enough to teach, well anyone under 18 anyhow. Children and far too annoying to deal with daily at a job.......No idea how anyone can do it.
Half a spliff in the morning and the rest of it at lunchtime.
Old Jun 16th 2018, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Half a spliff in the morning and the rest of it at lunchtime.
And not having to turn up for work 3 months of the year.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 1:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck

And not having to turn up for work 3 months of the year.
In truth, it was a quarter of a spliff in the morning and another quarter at lunchtime but to say so would have invited unanswerable questions about the other half of the joint. My then partner was not a teacher but a daycare worker which I imagine to be the same but with more screaming children and more angry parents. She only had two weeks of holiday per year but could take occasional paid days off, they were popularly, and accurately, known as "mental health days".
Old Aug 29th 2018, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

WaitingforToronto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scilly
If you have to work overtime, some places allow you to bank the extra hours in lieu of getting a payout ............... overtime pay is often normal pay + 50% or 100%, and allowing you to bank the hours can workout cheaper.

Of course, some places don't pay overtime, just expect you to work.

But in fact, the 2 weeks is bolstered by up to 12 Stat or provincial holidays, giving you between 9 and 11 long weekends in addition to the 2 weeks.

Yes, you have to work 1 year before you are eligible for the 2 week vacation, that's standard in the whole of North America.

Not sure why you all get so worried about it ............. you're moving to a country with different ways to the one you're looking at leaving. You adapt. It doesn't kill you!
I can well understand people worrying about reducing their family/free time by half! It's a huge deal for someone considering emigration especially as one of the main reasons cited by prospective movers is 'improved quality of life'. If you're going to have a lot less time off, it might not be worth moving...
Old Sep 4th 2018, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

milly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond repute

Just adding our recent experience - my husband gets 17 days per year, and I get 20. He builds his up month by month and can start taking it as soon as he builds it up, I'm still a bit confused about mine (new job) but I think I have to build it up over a year before I can take it.

It's less than we were used to in the UK but not the absolute minimum, and we knew that coming over here. We're in a fairly lucky position that we can afford to take some unpaid leave if we need, and our employers are fairly flexible.

​​​​
Old Sep 4th 2018, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

madeupname3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
I find, at least in Vancouver, people make much more use of their weekends and evenings. Many of my collogues will come into office early and leave early to go skiing or biking.
Just out of interest what are the typical office working hours in Canada? I'm currently working as a QS in construction in the UK where 0800-1730 is typical (although it varies with the project), unpaid overtime is expected from time to time. Are things likely to be similar out there, or worse?
Old Sep 4th 2018, 5:12 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

8-4 were my regular office hours as an employee in Canada.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

milly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 8.30-4.30 usually but they are flexible depending when we are seeing clients so could do 8-4 or 9-5.

I don't get overtime but do get toil if it's agreed by a manager.

I'm in a very different role to.construction though so it may depend on your industry.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 6:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
8-4 were my regular office hours as an employee in Canada.
It does seem an early start in Canada. Government offices open at 8.00am and I have a medical appointment at the hospital next week at 7.45.

No wonder everyone goes to bed by 10.00 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It does seem an early start in Canada. Government offices open at 8.00am and I have a medical appointment at the hospital next week at 7.45.

No wonder everyone goes to bed by 10.00 pm.
8:30 to 4 or 430 seems to be the norm for many government agencies out my way, at least the agencies I deal with.

Medical lab downstairs is open 730 to 4.

I have never worked a traditional job, so not sure I would want such hours.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 2:43 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Construction is likely to be much earlier - 7am or before, if you have to be on site, most likely. Office based construction, perhaps 7.30/8 - but would depend on the type of construction and where it was.

8-5 or 8.30 -5.30 with 30m lunch break was the norm for my last office position (finance industry) but banks, government, hospitals, medical industries tend to be earlier. In industrial industry it would depend on what shifts base the company used - could be 8 or 12 hour shifts and varies of how many consecutive days on and days off. Restaurant / hotels - what ever is demanded! A friend of the family who works in construction is often on site at 6am... can work til 4 or 9pm, depending on what needs to be done and the time frame!
It's 'how long is a piece of string really.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 12:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It's 'how long is a piece of string really.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 11:53 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised you do not get Federal statutory Holidays - time to find a job where they treat workers better.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 11:56 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

My regular hours are 8:15 - 4:30 although I tend to work longer (hard habit to break).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.