Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Work/life balance with only two weeks holiday

Work/life balance with only two weeks holiday

Old May 3rd 2018, 1:04 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work/life balance with only two weeks holiday

Originally Posted by BEVS
I could add in pics from New Zealand to this...
Yes...I've seen some. Mostly in LOTR of course

I also remember some photos and cine film from a schoolmate back in the 60s who went on a round the world trip that included NZ.

I remember seeing his Geyser footage and thought I'm not going there...I don't want one of those suddenly shooting from the ground up my shorts.
Old May 3rd 2018, 7:13 am
Just Joined

ExpatSleeFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Oh I did. They are dominated by the water, mountains and trees. Examples attached at the bottom. And they are beautiful.

And so are the Swiss ones. Examples attached.

Two from Canada and two Swiss. I'm not seeing a huge difference.

But then you get ones like this too
https://img.myloview.cz/fototapety/h...400-109302.jpg https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...L_yRVyu-_7Z-U2
BristolUK I have lived in Switzerland now for 6 years and can certainly share with you in its natural beauty. Do I think it is "better" than Canada? Not at all. No two countries are identical. Switzerland is like a mini-Canada. And i am completely convinced on Canada's beauty. Travel some more and you will know that too. Castles are nice but not necessay to enjoy nature.
Old May 3rd 2018, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpatSleeFamily
BristolUK I have lived in Switzerland now for 6 years and can certainly share with you in its natural beauty. Do I think it is "better" than Canada? Not at all. No two countries are identical. Switzerland is like a mini-Canada. And i am completely convinced on Canada's beauty. Travel some more and you will know that too. Castles are nice but not necessay to enjoy nature.
Natural beauty hin oder her, but it doesn't pay the rent. A lot of people always have one picture of a country and think it's the reality for all. While Switzerland can be beautiful (like many countries), most people can't afford to live in a villa around Ascona. Many have to live in the cities and can only rent a smaller apartment, because salaries are very low if you look at cost of living (most people also don't work for a Swiss Bank:-) . And when it comes to farming, Switzerland has been struggling for years and can no longer compete. As you say, no two countries are identical and even no two cities in the same country are identical. One could say that Austria has natural beauty too and might offer the working class person a better life. But being in Zürich or Wien wouldn't do it for me either. Not because I don't like cities, but just too far from the ocean.
Old May 3rd 2018, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Natural beauty hin oder her, but it doesn't pay the rent. A lot of people always have one picture of a country and think it's the reality for all. While Switzerland can be beautiful (like many countries), most people can't afford to live in a villa around Ascona. Many have to live in the cities and can only rent a smaller apartment, because salaries are very low if you look at cost of living (most people also don't work for a Swiss Bank:-) . And when it comes to farming, Switzerland has been struggling for years and can no longer compete. As you say, no two countries are identical and even no two cities in the same country are identical. One could say that Austria has natural beauty too and might offer the working class person a better life. But being in Zürich or Wien wouldn't do it for me either. Not because I don't like cities, but just too far from the ocean.
Moses i would say you are correct. It is of great understanding that everything is expensive in Switzerland. I do not want to sound bitter, the country is beautiful. We get "sticker shock" over a lot of purchases you may blindly make elsewhere. For example, we will rarely eat out as a very average meal will cost at least 100chf for two, not including at least another 30 chfs if having 2 glasses of wine with your meal each, another 10chf for a bottle of distilled water, and 20chfs for desert and coffee. And that is nothing fancy.
Old May 3rd 2018, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Tumbling_Dice I just noticed that you are in Halifax Nova Scotia!!!! You are in a beautiful area, my wife and I absolutely love love LOVE the East Coast. I have some family in the Annapolis Valley (Wolfville) and have had the privilege to visit. Please do see more of the East Coast. It is not too difficult to travel it. I can understand that you mention you are self-employed so that requires more planning on your part but please absolutely at a minimum take a 4-5 day trip over to St. John's Newfoundland -- without hesitating. Beautiful island with beautiful people. There is a ferry that can get you across from Cape Breton or you can take a flight from Halifax (wasn't too bad of a price when my wife and I did it). I hope you have had the chance to visit Peggy's Cove?? Also, did you tour the Alexander Keith's brewery and have experienced a lobster festival?
We have covered quite a bit of Nova Scotia - my in-laws lived in Annapolis Royal so we did frequent trips out that way. Beautiful part of the world. Peggy's Cove and lobster festivals have been done.

We have also covered most of New Brunswick, except for the interior, but don't feel any need to return.

I am looking forward to going back to Montreal and Quebec City, as well as those other East Coast destinations. Time will tell how long it takes to get that done.
Old May 3rd 2018, 6:09 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Tumbling_Dice I just noticed that you are in Halifax Nova Scotia!!!! You are in a beautiful area, my wife and I absolutely love love LOVE the East Coast. I have some family in the Annapolis Valley (Wolfville) and have had the privilege to visit. Please do see more of the East Coast. It is not too difficult to travel it. I can understand that you mention you are self-employed so that requires more planning on your part but please absolutely at a minimum take a 4-5 day trip over to St. John's Newfoundland -- without hesitating. Beautiful island with beautiful people. There is a ferry that can get you across from Cape Breton or you can take a flight from Halifax (wasn't too bad of a price when my wife and I did it). I hope you have had the chance to visit Peggy's Cove?? Also, did you tour the Alexander Keith's brewery and have experienced a lobster festival?
I would always encourage folk to visit the Rock. However it's a bloody expensive place to to get too and from. And 4-5 days from the Annapolis valley via car and ferry just about gets you to St John's to immediately turn around and head back. So maybe fly. Or allow longer.
Old May 3rd 2018, 6:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I would always encourage folk to visit the Rock. However it's a bloody expensive place to to get too and from. And 4-5 days from the Annapolis valley via car and ferry just about gets you to St John's to immediately turn around and head back. So maybe fly. Or allow longer.
Also, there's the weather. I don't have to go to Ibiza every year but windswept holidays are an acquired taste.
Old May 4th 2018, 12:11 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
If you have a proper work-life balance you do not NEED holidays !
Totally disagree with this. I have good work-life balance but spend every vacation getting as far away from Canada as possible, and would love more vacation so I can escape for longer.

Living on the east coast I've visited PEI and Cape Breton but haven't been impressed. They are OK but I would prefer to visit the Swiss or Italian Lakes.
Old May 4th 2018, 3:42 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Just read the contract first. Ive turned down union jobs as the pay was lower vs no union and benefits no better.

Union doesnt always mean better.
I can only say I've had the complete opposite of that.
Old May 5th 2018, 12:37 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I know anyone who only gets 2 weeks holiday. All our friends get 4 or 5 weeks. My wife gets 6 weeks. Not sure it it's a regional thing or just the people we know?
Old May 5th 2018, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I don't think I know anyone who only gets 2 weeks holiday. All our friends get 4 or 5 weeks. My wife gets 6 weeks. Not sure it it's a regional thing or just the people we know?
The way it typically works is you might start with 2 weeks, but if you are paid salary (not hourly) then with bigger companies you will probably start with 3 weeks. After usually 5 years you will earn an extra week, and after anither 5 years you will get another week. My last employer gave me 3 weeks to start with the increments above BUT also had an option to purchase (or sell) an extra week. To be clear, unless you are paid hourly, you will never only have 2 weeks but it progresses as you grow with that company.
Old May 5th 2018, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I can only say I've had the complete opposite of that.

Likely depends on industry.

The unions I have been part of in the airline, hotel and retail world really provided no benefit pay and benefit wise. It was all comparable to non-union jobs in the same industry.

Last union I was in vacation time in the contract was exactly the same as provincial minimums.

I am sure unionized pilots in the airline industry are paid well in comparison to non union but pilots are the exception due to their skill level and difficult to replace status.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 5th 2018 at 12:14 pm.
Old May 5th 2018, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike

More likely just the industries and level of job those you know have.

I dont know anyone who gets more then the minimum required by law. Everyone I know is same level as me job wise. All hourly non management where there is no negotiation. Its take whats offered or leave.
Old May 5th 2018, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

The way it typically works is you might start with 2 weeks, but if you are paid salary (not hourly) then with bigger companies you will probably start with 3 weeks. After usually 5 years you will earn an extra week, and after anither 5 years you will get another week. My last employer gave me 3 weeks to start with the increments above BUT also had an option to purchase (or sell) an extra week. To be clear, unless you are paid hourly, you will never only have 2 weeks but it progresses as you grow with that company.
Im salaried and only get two. Not even allowed to take time off until I’ve done a year. Can take time in lieu though.
Old May 5th 2018, 12:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
...pilots are...difficult to replace...
Especially mid-flight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.