Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Work/life balance with only two weeks holiday

Work/life balance with only two weeks holiday

Old May 1st 2018, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work/life balance with only two weeks holiday

Originally Posted by ExpatSleeFamily
Well to each and there own i guess. Canada is a beautiful country. I have travelled from east to west. I have been in the rockies, seen glaciers and emerald lakes. Hiked in temperate rainforests on Vancouver island, with virtually untouched old growth trees as wide as a house. I have hiked the East Coast Trail in Newfoundland and met some of the friendliest people, enjoyed "East Coast Music" and a pint of locally brewed "blueberry ale" in Moncton. The lobster festivle is amazing in the east (look it up).

The Northern Ontario experience isn't for everyone. Lots of people have a hard time with camping life and would rather an all inclusive trip to a sun-filled sandy beach destination. Again, to each and there own.

Enjoy
Absolutely. I too have travelled fairly extensively in Canada but I didn't live here. Beach and getting mullered holidays are also a waste of time... I much prefer to sample the local culture and see interesting things. If a beach happens to be in the area, I will plunge in for a dip. If a bar is nearby at beer o'clock, I will also plunge in for a dip.
Old May 1st 2018, 7:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
Absolutely. I too have travelled fairly extensively in Canada but I didn't live here. Beach and getting mullered holidays are also a waste of time... I much prefer to sample the local culture and see interesting things. If a beach happens to be in the area, I will plunge in for a dip. If a bar is nearby at beer o'clock, I will also plunge in for a dip.
I too have camped extensively in destinations easily reached from Toronto; around Cape Breton, into the Grand Canyon, in many Provincial Parks including the north of Superior, in the Everglades, in Newfoundland, etc. etc. It's fun in a specific kind of way. Cottaging is not like that but like but like visiting a static caravan park where the people who live near you in Basildon also have caravans.

I like beaches. In February we went to L.A. to climb the stairs and walk on beaches. It was nice, scenic and interesting, but culturally it's not very different than here. Last Autumn I went to Pantelleria, the sort of trip one could easily do from the UK (pre-Brexit) but which is a song and dance from here. In both cases, lost earnings cost more than the trip itself. If one had paid vacation and started from Europe life would be so much easier.
Old May 1st 2018, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

ExpatSleeFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
I too have camped extensively in destinations easily reached from Toronto; around Cape Breton, into the Grand Canyon, in many Provincial Parks including the north of Superior, in the Everglades, in Newfoundland, etc. etc. It's fun in a specific kind of way. Cottaging is not like that but like but like visiting a static caravan park where the people who live near you in Basildon also have caravans.

I like beaches. In February we went to L.A. to climb the stairs and walk on beaches. It was nice, scenic and interesting, but culturally it's not very different than here. Last Autumn I went to Pantelleria, the sort of trip one could easily do from the UK (pre-Brexit) but which is a song and dance from here. In both cases, lost earnings cost more than the trip itself. If one had paid vacation and started from Europe life would be so much easier.
Believe me, you have only scratched the surface of places to see in Canada. Stay positive with your expat experience and make the most of it. I was just thinking that when you compare travelling in Europe versus Canada and even further with North America you might be feeling overwhelmed as you are typically only ever in one maybe two countries but the continent in total is almost 2.5 times the size of Europe (Canada is about the same size as Europe alone). The continent is huge with lots to see. Now one thing in Europe is because it is so tightly packed with different countries it can feel like you are visiting a lot of places and get to experience pockets of culture. But I would argue that this is also the case in Canada/United States (albeit with a much younger culture than Europe) except you are travelling between cities and provinces/states.

If anyone is interested my parents have a "rustic" campground in Northern Ontario, if you would like to go visit and meet a great bunch of Canadians just let me know.

Last edited by ExpatSleeFamily; May 1st 2018 at 8:41 pm.
Old May 1st 2018, 9:02 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Bats, in Switzerland you get 14 weeks and United States you are entitled to I believe 12 weeks unpaid leave. 52 weeks is a definite benefit. More pay in UK?? I would say that all depends on the position wouldn't you? I turned down an interview in London because it was quite low for the industry.
As I was replying to a comment on maternity benefits I thought it was obvious that I meant maternity leave pay.
Old May 1st 2018, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

ExpatSleeFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bats
As I was replying to a comment on maternity benefits I thought it was obvious that I meant maternity leave pay.
Yeah, that was my mistake. Like I was saying is the benefit period has increased to 1.5 years and most employers offer top-ups from the Government's 55%. I believe my last employer offered a topped-up of 80% but I also know there are employers that will offer 100% top-ups.
Old May 1st 2018, 9:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Canada...is huge with lots to see. Now one thing in Europe is because it is so tightly packed with different countries it can feel like you are visiting a lot of places and get to experience pockets of culture. But I would argue that this is also the case in Canada/United States....
I wouldn't.

Just to take one example, Lakes.

Google images for Canadian Lakes and you get the same lakes and mountains set that you get for, say, Swiss lakes. Except the Swiss ones have castles, quaint villages and things dotted around too.

What's the Canadian equivalent of the Italian Lakes?
Old May 2nd 2018, 12:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me, you have only scratched the surface of places to see in Canada.
What is the main thing I've missed?
Old May 2nd 2018, 12:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I wouldn't.

Just to take one example, Lakes.

Google images for Canadian Lakes and you get the same lakes and mountains set that you get for, say, Swiss lakes. Except the Swiss ones have castles, quaint villages and things dotted around too.

What's the Canadian equivalent of the Italian Lakes?
That's not culture though, culture is language, food, music.. Canada is culturally homogenous except for some immigrant enclaves.
Old May 2nd 2018, 12:49 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That's not culture though, culture is language, food, music.. Canada is culturally homogenous except for some immigrant enclaves.
Well, I did say just one example and my focus was more on the "lots to see" and "visiting lots of places" parts of the quoted bit in reference to it being the same in Canada.

I'd also argue that culture was a more likely feature of the castles and towns than the trees.
Old May 2nd 2018, 1:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by BristolUK

I'd also argue that culture was a more likely feature of the castles and towns than the trees.
I can't dispute that. Our advocate for Canadian cultural diversity is in Switzerland which, I would argue, is a more culturally diverse place than Canada despite the difference in landmass. Four official languages, three distinct cuisines; the chance to be somewhere quite different between lunch and dinner without crossing a border and the scenic bits are close enough for all citizens to have seen them. I rather like Switzerland.
Old May 2nd 2018, 12:59 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlueScottyGirl
One thing that's concerning us about life in Canada is the two weeks holiday. Compared to other countries, Canada has a very low annual leave, 2 weeks being the norm, along with a small handful of public holidays. This leave appears to only be applied AFTER you have worked for a year.

My question is, how do people manage? Living in a beautiful country, how do you find time to explore, take up hobbies, visit your home country? Not to mention we're not getting any younger Canada comes out in polls as having a really good quality of life but nothing in the working side of that appears to benefit the average working person
Get a union job. I get 4 weeks
Old May 2nd 2018, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't dispute that. Our advocate for Canadian cultural diversity is in Switzerland which, I would argue, is a more culturally diverse place than Canada despite the difference in landmass. Four official languages, three distinct cuisines; the chance to be somewhere quite different between lunch and dinner without crossing a border and the scenic bits are close enough for all citizens to have seen them. I rather like Switzerland.
I would actually say 5 official languages these days. You have more Turkish speaking than Romansh.
Old May 2nd 2018, 1:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I would actually say 5 official languages these days. You have more Turkish speaking than Romansh.
Also more English speakers and yu-yus but it's not about volume is it?

Meanwhile back in Canada, we've rather lost the point; if you have 10 days off per year, even 15, and use 4 for school closures and 5 for going home for domestic stuff; how much of the country can you possibly see?
Old May 2nd 2018, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Get a union job. I get 4 weeks
Just read the contract first. Ive turned down union jobs as the pay was lower vs no union and benefits no better.

Union doesnt always mean better.
Old May 2nd 2018, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile back in Canada, we've rather lost the point; if you have 10 days off per year, even 15, and use 4 for school closures and 5 for going home for domestic stuff; how much of the country can you possibly see?
Sure, but I think that's the same for most people in any country, even if they have more days off. And then most people just go abroad and still don't explore their own country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.