Reload this Page >

work information

Wikiposts

work information

Old Jun 7th 2011, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

tblev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work information

Dear all, i hope you are all well. i will apologize in advance as i have just joined and i am still not 100% sure how to use this forum. I would just like some information on labour shortages in Canada. Myself and my partner are hoping to move in the next few months, and we are aware that a temporary work visa will help get us in the country quickly. I am aware that a temporary work visa is just for jobs that they cannot get Canadians to do, but i am struggling as to where to find these. My partner is an electrician and i am a probation officer. Thanking you in advance. Sorry if this question has already been asked. Cheers Tracy

Ps - oh i really should have said we are both from the UK however currently in Australia on a working holiday visa, however we are both too old to get a 2nd year one.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 10:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work information

Hi there, and welcome to the forum. No need to apologise for anything btw!

Is your plan to just have a year or two in Canada, or do you want to stay there permanently? It's just that your partner may be eligible as a Skilled Worker, as electricians are on the list of 29 eligible occupations, so could apply for Permanent Residency. Assuming that you have lived together for a year or more, you would go on his/her application and also get PR.

That wouldn't get you there within the next few months (around a year or so based on current processing times), but it would be a lot more secure and easier than trying to go over on a TWP.

For info on how to go about getting a TWP and how to job hunt, have a read of the Wiki - on blue bar at top of page.

And do a quick search for 'Red Seal' which will tell you what your partner will need to do to work in Canada. Not sure about probation officers, but again a quick search will tell you if you could work there (not sure if you'd need to be a citizen, as you do for many government jobs) or would need to sit some kind of equivalency exam.

HTH, good luck.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 1:02 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

W.r.t Citizenship for government jobs

Most government jobs give indication in the postings what the minimum status should be and normally state they will give priority to Citizens but applicants should indicate in the application their status (be it PR or Work Permit).

For example a correctional officer posting states:

Citizenship:

Preference will be given to Canadian citizens. Please indicate in your application the reason for which you are entitled to work in Canada: Canadian citizenship, permanent resident status or work permit.

W.r.t Probation Officer

Have a look at link below to Ontario Community Safety and Correctional Services as it talks about how to become a probation officer in Ontario:

http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/engli...p_officer.html

Now what I thought was interesting on this website was that they provide a link to the local offices, this gives contact details and fax numbers. If i was you I would "submit an expression of interest" to an office and see what response you get.

Hope this helps.

JB0591
Old Jun 8th 2011, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

tblev is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both, that has been very helpful. We are actually going to look in the PR option as well as TWV. Its very exciting although scary as there is so much to read and find out arghh!!! So i will keep you both posted. thanks again, i will probably need more help in the not so distance future ha ha!