Work ideas?

Old Jun 5th 2015, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work ideas?

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I don't really want to focus on me.. More from others who have had to change career paths on immigration to Canada....

After a few discouraging conversations with the CNO.. I just don't see how my nursing career is going to continue. So I need to consider what else I can do. I'm young (ish) certainly have a lot of working years left and want to work. I hadn't or wouldn't have changed career but feel like I need to have some options...

Anybody had to do it and what did you change to? Did you go back to school? Open your own business?

Have you looked at working for drug companies doing clinical trials. I used to work at the Univiversity of Western Ontario and lots of RNs who were tired of shift work worked for the large drug companies. Not sure of the opportunities available in your area but I think clinical trials take place all over the province.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 4:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleo
My hubby works in IT and at his last job he was expected to work long hours for no extra pay - sometimes all weekend too. On call without pay for 1 week out of 6 - meaning 6-10 every evening and 10-10 sat/sun for no extra pay - always had to be available within an hour. When we worked out his hourly rate some weeks, he might as well have worked at Tims. All of these increased hours developed and increased as time went on - it was not like that when he first started. It was a U.S. Company - so maybe that had something to do with it? He now has a much better job, still in IT, but they at least treat the IT staff as human!!

As for changing career, I think it is very difficult after being a nurse for a long time. I looked at various options when I was struggling to get registered here - but by volunteering in the hospital, I realized that I hated not being "hands on". Even working as a PSW, I found it hard because I was restricted. I am now registered (RPN) but my role is much more advisory than hands on - and I really do miss that. I have the occasional hands on issue to deal with and I get a lot of satisfaction from that - and I know I would not be happy doing anything that would take me away from the "nursing" role.
That's the part that worries me. I started out studying nursing with a view to job security here in Western Australia. A brand new hospital just opened about 4 months ago and over the last 5 years or so there have been a lot of job losses and outsourcing of non-medical workforce to Serco. Being admin meant that if I wanted to keep my job I would possibly have to shift to working for them or get into a medical job. Thankfully I kept my job.

Anyway, over the course of the last few years things have changed for me. My marriage ended and I now find myself with a new partner who is interested in us moving to Canada, and in particular to somewhere close to my home town in Ontario. Now the problem is going to be whether I can work as a nurse at home. It's very frustrating!
Old Jun 5th 2015, 8:39 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Ah you're good I can't believe they're so big here...

JS... I loved my job but I can't even contemplate retraining for it. I have heard that RN's aren't actually as good as back home as much as the province believes their training is superior. I don't know though really.

About the agency Zoe I live in a small town run on tourism... It does limit my job market and opportunities somewhat..

Bats... What could I do with that?
From your posts it does come accross that you love your job and the healthcare field. Once you are decided on whether you're in Canada for the long haul or not, perhaps it would be worthwhile totally re qualifying. Whether that is an RN, completing degrees or whatever. Perhaps you could retrain in psychology or another healthcare field if the idea of re-taking nursing is hard? The point is you're "youngish", you're able to survive on a single income, and you want an actual career. My two cents.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 10:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
From your posts it does come accross that you love your job and the healthcare field. Once you are decided on whether you're in Canada for the long haul or not, perhaps it would be worthwhile totally re qualifying. Whether that is an RN, completing degrees or whatever. Perhaps you could retrain in psychology or another healthcare field if the idea of re-taking nursing is hard? The point is you're "youngish", you're able to survive on a single income, and you want an actual career. My two cents.
And the college may give some credits for her prior experience, and degree so may not take as long to re-qualify from scratch over here as it would for someone starting fresh with no prior medical training and courses taken.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

worklifebalance is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
It doesn't prove that at all. You can't substantiate your numbers for hours or income for "most IT professionals".
Well yes I can as most ads for most IT Professional positions state salaries less than 60 and many surveys would agree with that. Prior to coming here I rang around many recruiters to get figures. Most ads actually state expected to work late evenings and weekends or this is said during the interview. I have offers stating minimum 80 hours per week expected that I rejected - Ministry of Labour told me this is common. The Ontario Ministry of Labour is inundated with complaints on this issue.

Anyone can do the same referencing as I have to get the same facts and figures if they doubt them.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 1:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worklifebalance
Well yes I can as most ads for most IT Professional positions state salaries less than 60 and many surveys would agree with that. Prior to coming here I rang around many recruiters to get figures. Most ads actually state expected to work late evenings and weekends or this is said during the interview. I have offers stating minimum 80 hours per week expected that I rejected - Ministry of Labour told me this is common. The Ontario Ministry of Labour is inundated with complaints on this issue.

Anyone can do the same referencing as I have to get the same facts and figures if they doubt them.
Which companies, in your experience, treat employees in this way?
Old Jun 5th 2015, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Which companies, in your experience, treat employees in this way?
You can follow the same references I've already mentioned to get names and/or figures rather than leave this forum or me open to libel naming them here. Someone has already complained when I indicated his current employer as one - although I have a signed contract to prove they wanted a minimum 80 hour week every week but only pay for 37.5.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 3:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You can follow the same references I've already mentioned to get names and/or figures rather than leave this forum or me open to libel naming them here. Someone has already complained when I indicated his current employer as one - although I have a signed contract to prove they wanted a minimum 80 hour week every week but only pay for 37.5.
It would not be libellous to say that my former employer, the XYZ Insurance Company, expected me to work 80 hours a week, 50 weeks a year, for $60,000/year, if it were true.

I find it far fetched because when I worked 80 hours a week for 50 weeks of the year as an employee of the then Royal Insurance Company, they paid me about $85,000 for my trouble and that was long, long, ago.

Your depiction of the computer business in the GTA bears no resemblence at all to my extensive experience of the same except inasmuch as people are expected to often be available for work. I think you had an uncommonly bad experience but there's very much missing from your story. I wonder if you are somehow associated with those ********* people.

Still, I'll stop banging on about this if you will.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 3:29 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Before the banging stops, I'm curious about the 108 hours? How is that even possible. Are you referring to on call time? I have to say DBD's comments on industry norms sound far more plausible.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 3:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Before the banging stops, I'm curious about the 108 hours? How is that even possible. Are you referring to on call time? I have to say DBD's comments on industry norms sound far more plausible.
Given the username, I have a feeling the poster is one of those who always feels hard done by.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

I'd just completed 5 x 12 hour days during the week when the employer demanded I work and actually be in the office for a continuous 48 hours as they needed support for all their offices world wide during a weekend release. It was not on call time but actual in-office time. As it was as you rightly question even possible I refused to do it but offered a compromise of about 20 additional hours to total 80 hours that week and got immediately fired.

Whilst DBD's comments sound plausible other posters have agreed that similar has happened to them or others they know about. Why also have most provinces got legislation in place to allow this to happen? Fact is both jobs I took, and all offers since tell me this is a very common practice to expect at least minimum 80 hours per week. That has been my experience here
Old Jun 5th 2015, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
Given the username, I have a feeling the poster is one of those who always feels hard done by.

Reading all my posts you will realise I moved on to better things. Rather than allowing myself to be bullied I stood up for myself, moved on, and am doing far better. The username only reflected my feelings after my first anniversary in Canada. The one thing I didn't get in Canada that I got everywhere else was a worklifebalance.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 4:56 pm
Yo

I'd just completed 5 x 12 hour days during the week when the employer demanded I work and actually be in the office for a continuous 48 hours as they needed support for all their offices world wide during a weekend release. It was not on call time but actual in-office time. As it was as you rightly question even possible I refused to do it but offered a compromise of about 20 additional hours to total 80 hours that week and got immediately fired.

Whilst DBD's comments sound plausible other posters have agreed that similar has happened to them or others they know about. Why also have most provinces got legislation in place to allow this to happen? Fact is both jobs I took, and all offers since tell me this is a very common practice to expect at least minimum 80 hours per week. That has been my experience here
Would that not then just be a one-off situation, a new release. Surely that's the nature of the business that you are in, and it doesn't sound like an ongoing work requirement. People in business, law, healthcare also have to work silly hours during crunch times. Nevertheless, good that you have found a workable solution for yourself. It's madness to work the crazy hours unless you are getting something big (money/opportunity) out of it.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Would that not then just be a one-off situation, a new release. Surely that's the nature of the business that you are in, and it doesn't sound like an ongoing work requirement. People in business, law, healthcare also have to work silly hours during crunch times. Nevertheless, good that you have found a workable solution for yourself. It's madness to work the crazy hours unless you are getting something big (money/opportunity) out of it.

If it was one off then it would not have been such a problem, however, it was on going weekly in both companies I worked. There are IT companies in the GTA who promise the customers that they can deliver to silly dates and costs based on the fact they can enforce unpaid/unlimited overtime. These are the companies I have no interest in. Trouble is these companies make big mistakes because of fatigue which always have to be corrected so the overtime is endless.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 4:55 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Soooo getting back to Tirytory's post... anyone else got any ideas for work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.