Work ideas?

Old May 30th 2015, 2:58 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Work ideas?

I don't really want to focus on me.. More from others who have had to change career paths on immigration to Canada....

After a few discouraging conversations with the CNO.. I just don't see how my nursing career is going to continue. So I need to consider what else I can do. I'm young (ish) certainly have a lot of working years left and want to work. I hadn't or wouldn't have changed career but feel like I need to have some options...

Anybody had to do it and what did you change to? Did you go back to school? Open your own business?
Old May 30th 2015, 3:31 pm
BE addict

Princesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work ideas?

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I don't really want to focus on me.. More from others who have had to change career paths on immigration to Canada....

After a few discouraging conversations with the CNO.. I just don't see how my nursing career is going to continue. So I need to consider what else I can do. I'm young (ish) certainly have a lot of working years left and want to work. I hadn't or wouldn't have changed career but feel like I need to have some options...

Anybody had to do it and what did you change to? Did you go back to school? Open your own business?
Sorry to hear you will most likely have to change career path. I'm still waiting on PR before I can work, but looking to do the same. I'll be following this thread with interest!

It's going to be a case of seeing what is out there I think. I had a few interviews and job offers last year, before getting a LMIA became virtually impossible and they all fell through.

I'm going to try and focus to start with on work/life balance which was lacking in my last career. Getting used to how people do business here will be an adjustment too I think. Once I have more of a feel for working life here, I'll focus on what I want going forward as a career.

Good luck!
Old May 30th 2015, 3:59 pm
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

When I left the UK I was a troubleshooter for a large worldwide manufacturing company. When I arrived in Canada I started working on heating and air conditioning. Now I work in entertainment.

God knows what I'll be doing in 10 years time
Old May 30th 2015, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

I moved over some years ago, when the RN registration thing wasn't as difficult. I realised though that the closest job to my old one in the UK was as a Public Health Nurse here in BC. One huge problem, was that I needed a degree to apply. So I worked for non profit clinics, and studied for my BSN online through UVIC, it took me 2 years, and juggling working and 3 kids. I also had to pay for my courses myself. I feel it was worth it, I am now working full time as a PHN.

Another friend from the UK that moved over a couple of years after us (was a UK Midwife and RGN) decided against the fight and challenges of registering. She now works for a company doing events planning, completely different! It took a couple of years, and she did have to do a fair amount of volunteer work in the area before she managed to get a job being paid for it.

When I look back, it did take me years of working towards my goal, I certainly didn't move for my career! But I am glad I persisted and did it.

Good Luck with the next step in life.
Old May 30th 2015, 7:45 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

You could be a diplomat!
Old May 31st 2015, 12:28 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Sign up with temp agency. Youll be exposed to different companies/ industries and roles

Then see what takes your fancy.

If you do need to go back to school at least then you'll have a focus
Old May 31st 2015, 2:23 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
You could be a diplomat!
Yes, she could. If only for not castigating Canada and Ontario in particular for being such a sink estate for foreign professionals.

Wales of laughter.
Old May 31st 2015, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

I was a UK registered nurse, but before I moved here five years ago realized I wouldn't be able to work here as my speciality is a bit unique. I didn't even bother attempting to get registered here! After a few months I got a job in an insurance company which used a lot of my transferable skills. I now work for a bank using experience I gained in both sectors.
Good luck!
Old May 31st 2015, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

anders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond repute

Have sadly seen this scenario play out on many occasions. At least 3 of my friends have changed paths completely and studied as Realtors.They seem to be doing pretty well for themselves now.
Old May 31st 2015, 3:31 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
You could be a diplomat!
Now who is being "silly"?

Last edited by Tirytory; May 31st 2015 at 3:35 am.
Old May 31st 2015, 3:32 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yes, she could. If only for not castigating Canada and Ontario in particular for being such a sink estate for foreign professionals.

Wales of laughter.
That's for private mutterings of disgust

I really should edit my posts into one but it's late... Muttering is a good word.

Last edited by Tirytory; May 31st 2015 at 3:34 am.
Old May 31st 2015, 4:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Go back to school do nursing program in Canada so you can keep the same career? Sucks for sure, but if you like nursing, wouldn't it be the easiest way to stay with it, based on the red tape there seems to be for foreign trained nurses to practice here.
Old May 31st 2015, 4:27 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Study online for a Masters in Health Management, or public service management.
Old May 31st 2015, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
It may be different in other Provinces, however my wife has found them to be completely useless in BC.

You're more likely to get a f*** off the Pope than get a job....(unless you want to work in a shop, picking fruit or sexing chicks!)

If your SIN starts with a '9', you're better off looking for a job yourself.

Last edited by withabix; May 31st 2015 at 4:33 am.
Old May 31st 2015, 4:32 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
It may be different in other Provinces, however my wife has found them to be completely useless in BC.

You're more likely to get a f*** off the Pope than get a job....

What is the pay like?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.