Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Work ethics, inflating skills, negotiating rates

Work ethics, inflating skills, negotiating rates

Old Sep 12th 2009, 4:56 am
Love it

chinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nice
Default Work ethics, inflating skills, negotiating rates

Hi,

First off, I am going to put my flame proof pants on because I am sure someone will take this the wrong way. I am NOT making generalisations, I am just asking for other peoples experiences - have I got a bad one here?

I have a software development company with just me as the only employee working stupid hours trying to do everything so I thought I would get another software developer if I could afford it. So I posted a job advert. The job advert was VERY specific in requesting salary expectations. Not ONE single person from over 10 people that responded gave any indication. Some did not even forward resumes (also asked for in the posting) until "they knew more about the company".

The person that seemed most suitable I have employed on an as-and-when contract basis, he still has a full-time job elsewhere.

I am finding his work ethics to be a little short of my expectations and his attitude a bit, well strange. Now bear in mind I have never worked for a Canadian business or employed a Canadian before but...
  • He has written more software than Microsoft according to his boasting claims
  • He can do anything within a couple of hours, when it comes to it, he is yet to hit a deadline
  • He massively over sells himself, which I don't get as he ends up looking like a fool when he isnt actually as good as he thinks
  • When we talk money he starts off with stupid numbers then ends up agreeing at 1/4 of where he started
  • He has now taken to telling me how much i should charge my customers and what I should do and not do for them. Is this being very keen and its just rubbing me up the wrong way?

Basically, is the Canadian job market about over selling yourself to get the job? Because if it is, its going to end up getting him the bullet, this is something I am not used to

Thanks,
CB

Last edited by chinnybloke; Sep 12th 2009 at 5:18 am.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:20 am
Banned

Lemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Work ethics, inflating skills, negotiating rates

Canadians do like to think they know best and talk a good game, that said, this bloke just sounds like a chancer.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

You pretty much have to over sell yourself but of course there is a limit on how much, obviously dont want to go so far and say you can do things you really can't.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:25 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemi
Canadians do like to think they know best and talk a good game, that said, this bloke just sounds like a chancer.
Yeah anybody would think they were welsh by decent
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:47 am
Banned

Lemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Yeah anybody would think they were welsh by decent
...Ti'n llawn cachu.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:50 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemi
...Ti'n llawn cachu.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chinnybloke
Hi,

First off, I am going to put my flame proof pants on because I am sure someone will take this the wrong way. I am NOT making generalisations, I am just asking for other peoples experiences - have I got a bad one here?

I have a software development company with just me as the only employee working stupid hours trying to do everything so I thought I would get another software developer if I could afford it. So I posted a job advert. The job advert was VERY specific in requesting salary expectations. Not ONE single person from over 10 people that responded gave any indication. Some did not even forward resumes (also asked for in the posting) until "they knew more about the company".

The person that seemed most suitable I have employed on an as-and-when contract basis, he still has a full-time job elsewhere.

I am finding his work ethics to be a little short of my expectations and his attitude a bit, well strange. Now bear in mind I have never worked for a Canadian business or employed a Canadian before but...
  • He can do anything within a couple of hours, when it comes to it, he is yet to hit a deadline
  • He massively over sells himself, which I don't get as he ends up looking like a fool when he isnt actually as good as he thinks
  • When we talk money he starts off with stupid numbers then ends up agreeing at 1/4 of where he started
  • He has now taken to telling me how much i should charge my customers and what I should do and not do for them. Is this being very keen and its just rubbing me up the wrong way?

Basically, is the Canadian job market about over selling yourself to get the job? Because if it is, its going to end up getting him the bullet, this is something I am not used to

Thanks,
CB
He sounds like a jerk. "more software than Microsoft" is clearly a daft claim that, if written on a resume, should have sent the alarm bells off.

Although without wishing to generalise too much the contractors that we have had in to 'fill gaps' often fall into the trap of over promising and under delivering. I suppose they are often under pressure to deliver, given they have fixed term contracts where they are expected to offer decent value for money given a much higher rate than a staff developer.

We've also had contractors in that have tried to control and dictate to us how things should be done, when in fact they have been given a contained slice of work to do. Often this is motivated by them trying to get more work and trying to get into a position of being indispensable to the organization.

We have also had very good contractors that have done what they said they were going to do, when they said they were going to do it.

Obviously, if you are unhappy with them, a contractor can be asked to leave without any notice. If you have him on the pay role I assume given Canadian employment law you don't have to give him much notice or reason.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 1:09 pm
Love it

chinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nice

The bullet has been loaded, as someone else said in a reply, he is a jerk.

Just checked my email this morning and what he claimed was already finished and working Thursday evening, to be packaged up Friday and emailed to me. Surprisingly now needs more work and won't be done until Saturday night at the earliest.

Any recent IT graduates out there who have scored a job in Canada? How much do you get paid?????? I think I might look at the graduate route.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 1:15 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

From a contractors perspective, let me just begin by saying this guy sounds like a wally.............but............

The job advert was VERY specific in requesting salary expectations. Not ONE single person from over 10 people that responded gave any indication.
My opinion of companies who request salary expectation is quite low to be honest and given the chance, i avoid applying to these. I prefer to know immediately what the company's expectations are with their budget and the level of experience and skill-set etc they're looking for.

Some did not even forward resumes (also asked for in the posting) until "they knew more about the company".
I'd also not make an official application without knowing more about the company or the company's salary expectations so as to not waste my or your time.

There's one of your issues. He has a full time job elsewhere so his loyalties will lay with them as that's his bread and butter. You're extra money and the more of that the better.

• [*]
  • [*]
To be honest, listen to him. If he's full of crappola then ignore the advice. He may have some good ideas though. Plus he'll be looking for ways to embed himself into your company a little further as to extend his time there and look for ways to increase his rate.

All of the above is in my opinion of course.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 1:19 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

The bullet has been loaded, as someone else said in a reply, he is a jerk.

Just checked my email this morning and what he claimed was already finished and working Thursday evening, to be packaged up Friday and emailed to me. Surprisingly now needs more work and won't be done until Saturday night at the earliest.

Any recent IT graduates out there who have scored a job in Canada? How much do you get paid?????? I think I might look at the graduate route.
When I first went to Toronto I lived with a "Programmer". He told me that the industry there was flooded with people who lied and exaggerated qualifications and as a result salaries had tumbled. He by his own admission also exaggerated and lied. If you are going for a graduate highlight that you want their qualifications proved.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 1:22 pm
Love it

Sensible points of view there.

But, the reason I asked for salary expectations is because I have never recruited in Canada before or worked for a Canadian IT business so I have no idea what rates are here in NB. I've seen plenty of other IT jobs advertised but the only ones I've ever seen a salary range given is if it is a government position. None of those match the skills I want/need.

Thanks for your point of view,
CB

Originally Posted by el_richo
My opinion of companies who request salary expectation is quite low to be honest and given the chance, i avoid applying to these. I prefer to know immediately what the company's expectations are with their budget and the level of experience and skill-set etc they're looking for.

I'd also not make an official application without knowing more about the company or the company's salary expectations so as to not waste my or your time.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 1:25 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Sensible points of view there.

But, the reason I asked for salary expectations is because I have never recruited in Canada before or worked for a Canadian IT business so I have no idea what rates are here in NB. I've seen plenty of other IT jobs advertised but the only ones I've ever seen a salary range given is if it is a government position. None of those match the skills I want/need.

Thanks for your point of view,
CB
Yeah you have a point there. Quite a lot of Canadian job adverts have no indication of Salary for perm work, from what i've seen but in my line of work the rate expectation is often there.

Anyhoo, i'd can the lazy sod and grab a recent grad for about $20 an hour
Old Sep 12th 2009, 1:36 pm
Love it

Originally Posted by bodgerx
He sounds like a jerk. "more software than Microsoft" is clearly a daft claim that, if written on a resume, should have sent the alarm bells off.
He didn't actually say that, I was being sarcastic, but when I first met him, he, and he alone, had written the system for the parking pay station, then we got onto planes (airlines are one of my markets) so then again, he and he alone, had written part of the booking system for Air Canada when he had his own software business, there are many examples. It doesn't matter what I bring up he's been there and done it. I am thinking about saying I've got a contract to write some software for a manned mission to Mars, I know he'll have a cottage there by a lake and he's going to be there to surprise then when they land. He'll be the welcoming committee
Old Sep 12th 2009, 3:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

He didn't actually say that, I was being sarcastic, but when I first met him, he, and he alone, had written the system for the parking pay station, then we got onto planes (airlines are one of my markets) so then again, he and he alone, had written part of the booking system for Air Canada when he had his own software business, there are many examples. It doesn't matter what I bring up he's been there and done it. I am thinking about saying I've got a contract to write some software for a manned mission to Mars, I know he'll have a cottage there by a lake and he's going to be there to surprise then when they land. He'll be the welcoming committee
I'm a contractor and I really did write part of the booking system for KLM leading to subsequent contract work where they sold it on.

I think it's because there's so much bullshit in this business that networking is key; I've worked with a dozen or so guys consistently for years, none of them has a resume because we all get jobs by word of mouth. Jobs not only in Canada but from all over to be done by VPN or fixed price for a unit of work to be done remotely. If you want an alternative to this guy send me some sort of Statement of Work and we'll quote on the basis that most of the bill comes when the work is satisfactory. I expect he's cheaper but we deliver. Oh, and we offer people who can speak English, you can even understand them on the telephone.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 3:52 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Sack him and go back to doing it yourself - you know it's the only way it will get done properly anyway. Most developers are somewhere on the venn diagram of arrogant, lazy and incompetent - and it sounds like your guy is bang in the middle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.