Reload this Page >

Work ethics, inflating skills, negotiating rates

Work ethics, inflating skills, negotiating rates

Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

altered ego is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Work ethics, inflating skills, negotiating rates

Originally Posted by chinnybloke
The job advert was VERY specific in requesting salary expectations.
No professional developer would put salary expectations in an answer to an ad - it's the wrong time/place to negotiate.
If you simply put your current salary that's the maximum you could ever negotiate - if you add some wriggle room your CV will be binned as overpriced.

It's like a car dealer demanding that you state what you want to pay before setting foot on the lot.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by altered ego
No professional developer would put salary expectations in an answer to an ad - it's the wrong time/place to negotiate.
If you simply put your current salary that's the maximum you could ever negotiate - if you add some wriggle room your CV will be binned as overpriced..
Yep, whomever mentions a figure first has lost.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Sack him and go back to doing it yourself - you know it's the only way it will get done properly anyway. Most developers are somewhere on the venn diagram of arrogant, lazy and incompetent - and it sounds like your guy is bang in the middle!
A bit over the top me thinks. Definitely with the people I have worked with over the last 10 years. You do get duffers every so often, but I think that would be the same for most industries.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

Well start paying by the job!

that way at least you're not out for each hour he spends and he can program to his hearts content if he didnt' get it right as he promised.

Take him up on his word he's that good. 10 hours he said to do it? great, thats what you'll pay him!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

They won't send a resume before they know more about the company because IT in the Maritimes is a VERY small world. They don't want to screw themselves over by making it public that they are looking for work. Their current boss may find out.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chinnybloke
Hi,

First off, I am going to put my flame proof pants on because I am sure someone will take this the wrong way. I am NOT making generalisations, I am just asking for other peoples experiences - have I got a bad one here?

I have a software development company with just me as the only employee working stupid hours trying to do everything so I thought I would get another software developer if I could afford it. So I posted a job advert. The job advert was VERY specific in requesting salary expectations. Not ONE single person from over 10 people that responded gave any indication. Some did not even forward resumes (also asked for in the posting) until "they knew more about the company".

The person that seemed most suitable I have employed on an as-and-when contract basis, he still has a full-time job elsewhere.

I am finding his work ethics to be a little short of my expectations and his attitude a bit, well strange. Now bear in mind I have never worked for a Canadian business or employed a Canadian before but...
  • He has written more software than Microsoft according to his boasting claims
  • He can do anything within a couple of hours, when it comes to it, he is yet to hit a deadline
  • He massively over sells himself, which I don't get as he ends up looking like a fool when he isnt actually as good as he thinks
  • When we talk money he starts off with stupid numbers then ends up agreeing at 1/4 of where he started
  • He has now taken to telling me how much i should charge my customers and what I should do and not do for them. Is this being very keen and its just rubbing me up the wrong way?

Basically, is the Canadian job market about over selling yourself to get the job? Because if it is, its going to end up getting him the bullet, this is something I am not used to

Thanks,
CB
Written more software than Microsoft?

I wonder if Bill Gates knows about this guy?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:28 am
Just Joined

Lisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chinnybloke,

Let me know if you do can him... I'll send you a resume!!

Cheers!
Lisa

(PS - My first post!! Woo hoo!!! - Hope I've a) posted properly, and b) managed not to offend anyone. Small steps, huh?!.